Why does water make noise in an electric kettle?

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 26/10/14, 11:22

The other related track can be found here in this video of chemical reactions filmed at approx. 4 min. 30:

it is the film of a chemical reaction on the surface of an eggshell, filmed reaction which is none other than ... limestone + oxygen / H2O producing ... CO2 and grinding the limestone in stride ... (in a solution of boiling water, I presume, but similar to the evaporation of water dropping the limestone in a kettle for the effect) which gives CaCO3 + 2HCl = CaCl2 + H2O + CO2, then further still, same video, example of reactions with anode / cathode (at 5:04), if the water is alkaline, it can do it ... H2 : The2 = 2: 1

... but it's still chemistry requiring energy! Catalytic reactions, changing "water state" or whatever, etc.
(But for the noise, it’s thermodynamics, haha)

Source: http://www.spi0n.com/beautiful-chemical-reactions/
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 26/10/14, 13:50

Experiment with bottled water: in the same electric kettle, heat slightly limestone spring water (such as Laqueuille de Leclerc, 6,5 mg / l of Ca) then spring water 10 times more calcareous (like Cristalline, 67 mg / l of Ca).

The electric kettle makes a lot more noise with the Cristalline.
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Why water makes noise in an electric kettle

by izentrop » 27/10/14, 19:54

Christophe wrote:It's all in the title: I've been asking myself this question for years ... why does water (long before it boils) make noise in an electric kettle?

It was the Friday question! : Cheesy:

Hello,
It fits pretty well with what I see: http://omnilogie.fr/O/Le_soupir_de_la_bouilloire
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 28/10/14, 03:17

No need for heat to boil water ...

Only to empty ...

This actually participates in the process, since the water contains different chemical components (tap water is not 100% pure) such as nitrogen or oxygen which escapes from the water when it is in contact with a very hot source.

This is the correct answer apart from the heat source which is not necessary ...

The different gases contained in the water do not all expand at the same time and this is what creates a noise before the water starts to boil ... if we empty 99,9% in the water and put it in the same kettle there is no more noise and the water starts to boil suddenly when the temperature is reached ...
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/10/14, 08:29

It's the egg or the chicken ...! There is even chlorine ... But there, I have a doubt:
Alain G wrote:[...] if we make the vacuum at 99,9% in water [...]

: Cheesy:
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 28/10/14, 10:20

Alain G meant that the water boils at 100 ° C but under pressure from an atmosphere. Seawater is desalted by distillation at low temperature. At 60 ° C under 200 mbar for example.

Heating noise is produced by the phenomenon of heat build-up. The more limestone there is, the more surface there is and the noisier it is:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cal%C3%A9faction
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/10/14, 10:35

I understood, but it was so capilotracté : Mrgreen:

Honestly:
- "if we make a vacuum in the water"
= H2O, all that's left is ... hydrogen! (I even wanted to mention atmospheric pressure, mebon etc ...) : roll:

Anyway it is you who gave the right answer apparently: "calefaction" : Lol:
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 28/10/14, 12:57

Obamot wrote:I understood, but it was so capilotracté : Mrgreen:

Honestly:
- "if we make a vacuum in the water"

Alain_G may be bald now (?) : Cheesy: but rightly, we can create a vacuum in the water, it's cavitation:

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation

Ultrasonic cleaners use it.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 28/10/14, 18:48

Yes, with pressure variations you can do extraordinary things, like multiplying by a huge factor the rate of disintegration of thorium by acoustic cavitation ...

But hey, the kettle : Mrgreen: moving away...
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 29/10/14, 19:54

It is especially in my opinion a story of thermal conductivity ...

I attend from time to time to flash point tests on petroleum products ... The goal of the game when heating is to heat at very low power by increasing the T ° by 1 ° C per minute at most, and shake the product so that the T ° of the product is homogeneous. If we heat too quickly we create a micro boiling with gas evolution and we distort the results ... Given the power of electric kettles or a gas fire we has a boiling start located on the weak heating part which it is immediately at more than 100 ° .. the limestone decreases the thermal conductivity so the music must change ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...