Psychological therapy through video games (not just serious games)

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Psychological therapy through video games (not just serious games)

by Christophe » 13/11/19, 13:35

While they are rather decried by the medical scientific community in general ("those who know ..."), video games can actually be used for a therapeutic purpose other than entertainment (assuming that being entertained is not a therapy, and it is!).

In recent years, there are serious games: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeu_s%C3%A9rieux which they are actually used in medical therapy but the following article is about the general public games! That's why I tell you!

Here are some testimonies of traumatized post 13 November which manage to be rebuilt thanks, in part, to the video games ... but our society is not only violent in physical violence ... as Father Pierre rightly said

13-November: survivors of the Bataclan attack, they rebuild themselves with the video game
By William Audureau

Published November 13 2018 to 12h39 - Updated November 13 2018 to 14h22

On the beatings of 5 in the morning, Thomas struggles to find sleep. A few hours earlier, on a Friday November 13 2015, he was still lying face down in the Bataclan pit with four friends. Thomas was able to come out alive. He is one of the survivors of the terrorist attacks, which cost, that night, the life of 130 people.

Faced with insomnia, he turns on Metal Gear Solid V: Phantom Pain, a game not recommended for minors. In his mission, the crew of a boat is decimated by a deadly virus; soldiers lie here and there in pools of blood. An "ultra-violent" scene, recognizes Thomas. "But I remember that it really soothed me. "

Today, he praises these video games that helped him "channel the bad energies". He is far from the only survivor in this case. "We have seen ugly things, the ugliness of the world", abounds Eric, another survivor of the Bataclan, interviewed by Le Monde. "I can not flee the attack, because I live every day with it and I will have after-effects for life. But I had the video game loophole available and it helped me a lot. "

In 2010, a study on Tetris had already proven the benefits of video games to block the resurgence of post-traumatic memories. "This is one of the best media to have an activity that eases the mind," confirms Vanessa Lalo, psychologist specializing in innovative digital practices, while emphasizing the need for support: "The video game can not to be cathartic at 100%. "

"The day before, I was playing at" Wolfenstein ""

The November 13 2015, the average age of the victims was 35 years old. The generation hit by the attacks in Paris is the one that grew up with the first consoles. Also the one who was told, child, that their leisure made violent. "Ironically, the night before, I spent the night trying to finish Wolfenstein, a bloody shooter, caricatural limit. And twenty-four hours later, I find myself at Bataclan, "squeaks Eric, former editor for a gaming site.

Several survivors of the concert hall believe that their practice helped save their lives during the attack, which made 90 dead in addition to 3 terrorists. "I think from the moment I heard the shrapnel, I understood what was happening," says Kevin, 37 years, science researcher and former player of shooting games in competitions. He believes he escaped at the most opportune time.

"From a spatial point of view, I had a good vision of where they were, I was looking for blind spots, etc. I had reflexes of "gamer". "

This kind of testimony does not surprise the psychologist Vanessa Lalo.

"Scientific research shows that big shooter players have much faster decision-making than most people, an ability to cut affect, plan schemes, and execute them quickly. "

Eric, he prefers to evoke "a lot of luck and a little presence of mind."

"At first, I did not support it"

Once back home, the aftermath begins to set in. Flashback, anxiety attacks, morbid ideas, hypervigilance, panic fear of confined spaces, phobia of the crowd ... Everyone has lived "his" Bataclan, everyone must now face different symptoms.

For some, playing violent video games becomes impossible. Josephine, a young mother survivor, gives up for example the military shooter Call of Duty. "In the street, I heard someone shake his carpet at the window, I ran away. So [the virtual sound of] an automatic weapon ... "

Kevin tries, for his part, PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, an armed survival game, but to no avail. "The share of surprise and realism, finding myself pursued by guys equipped, the sound of bullets whistling ... At first, I did not support it. "

«The video game becomes a dreamlike refuge»

But they persevere. Video games are part of their lives, like music or cinema. They also have difficulty going out, and need to be entertained at home. The virtual offers them a window of escape particularly powerful to escape the morbid ideas, explains Vanessa Lalo: "The imaginary of the video game is structured and structuring, it has a frame, we know that nothing will happen to us in it. One is an actor and during that time, the body as well as the mind are busy. It's a bubble in which you feel protected. "

Everyone goes there with his game of refuge. Car rides (Forza Horizon), a cute farming simulation (Stardew Valley), an adventure in a world of phantasmagorical insects (Hollow Knight), a good-natured strategy game (Civilization) ... "Peaceful" titles, Stephane notes , 43 years old and veteran of the computer game. Vanessa Lalo continues:

"When we have experienced a traumatic event, either we try to confront the danger, or we try to move away, to put a patch. The video game becomes a dreamlike refuge a little anesthetic. "

Max Besnard, a video game journalist who is now allergic to realistic shooting games, is looking for more experiences in which he can walk quietly, like the last Zelda and Mario. "These games are good for me. Above all, we are free, we can walk anywhere, "he says, while three years later, he still struggles to use public transport.

Games in open world allow survivors of attacks to reconnect with a feeling of freedom, control and lightness, with games like "Zelda".

A survivor of the concert hall testifies his preference for games with a turn-based system and aerial cameras. "One way to thwart the brutality, the surprise, and thus to maintain [the violence] at a distance, to control it. A slow war, seen from the sky, "he analyzes. In a general way, they are numerous to evoke the need, through the practice of the video game, to regain the feeling of control.

The disgusting mission of Call of Duty

Over time, some gamers survivors even plunged into darker, more violent worlds. But their eyes have changed. "Now, I have a lot of trouble with games where I am given the choice to kill or not," says Max Besnard. "This choice, I did not get it. The weapon, she was facing me. "

Stephen, him, enrage against a mission of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 inviting the player to become a terrorist who can massacre civilians in an airport *. "I would have played immediately after [the Bataclan], I would have screamed to say how creepy and disgusting it is. Especially in the game, I wanted to shoot the other terrorists rather than carry out the mission, but it does not work, "he fumed.

Sometimes, however, some titles calm despite their gravity. David Hemkä evokes his "morbid fascination" for the horrifying adventure game Bloodborne. And especially these spectral silhouettes pleading the player on his way, which remind him of "the grueling procession to the exit [of the Bataclan]. He evokes the resurgence of a scene of "horror" as much as a feeling of "reconciliation".

"I want to be the last survivor"

Reviving trauma has been one of the most unexpected therapeutic options. They are so many survivors to testify to their practice of a particular title, PlayerUnknown's Playergrounds (PUBG), a realistic and survivalist military shooter. "My girlfriend survivor did not understand that I continue to play, but unlike the Bataclan, I had the impression to be at least an actor, to be on par with others, says Kevin. It was not revenge, but a way of feeling less victim. "

Studies on the subject are rare, but Vanessa Lalo recalls that virtual reality simulators are used in the United States to help US Army veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress.

"The spirit of survival, the realism of the sound of the Kalashnikov ... I became addicted to that. Grégoire, survivor of the attack in Sousse

This practice can be extreme. Grégoire, he had not played for ten years, when he ended up on the beach of Sousse, Tunisia, in June 2015, during the attack that killed the tourists 38. Since then, he has accumulated on PUBG no less than fifty-two full days of play, 284 wins and 7 057 eliminated opponents. "The spirit of survival, the realism of the sound of the Kalashnikov ... I became addicted to that. What I hated, I learned to like it, like Stockholm syndrome, "he explains. With an obsession: "I want to be the last survivor," assumes the one who has also put himself in the extreme race.

"It's a reactionary formation," says Vanessa Lalo. To regain adrenaline, sensations, to recover in the emotion of the moment lived, it is typical of the traumatisms. There is this notion of reappropriation: we put ourselves in danger, but in a chosen and conscious way. One becomes an actor of this danger. "

The effect "Pokémon Go"

Another aspect often overlooked: online video games have allowed survivors to maintain a social life, was it by screen and microcasque interposed. "In the months and years following the Bataclan, I could not stand going out anymore and I isolated myself," says Thomas. It was through online shooter games that he made new friends. "It allowed me to get back on my feet socially," he says.

Josephine, she played PUBG in a squad with friends, which allows him to overcome his fears. Especially when she found herself, playing, in a situation similar to the Bataclan: hidden behind a toilet, with assailants arriving to her. "The stress was rising. I screamed in the helmet and [one of his friends] Freddy did not care about my mouth. It allowed me to dramatize. "

For his part, Stéphane immersed himself in the Switch, the nomadic console of Nintendo, to overcome the fear of public transport. As for Alexis, he even managed to get to the busy places thanks to ... Pokémon Go.

"I still had big problems with post-traumatic stress, but I'm from the Pokémon generation, I did not want to miss it. It's the game that made me come out and go to very touristic places, meet strangers, relearn to trust. "

The trauma will always be present. But since then, according to him, he has less difficulty in everyday life.

Source:
https://www.lemonde.fr/pixels/article/2 ... 08996.html

* I'm not a fan of Call Ofs but this one I did it, excellent moment of release (niark niark niark niark! : Twisted: : Twisted: : Twisted: ), but hey, I still prefer the radical Islamist or the indoctrinated black by his self proclaimed president for life :P :P :P : Twisted: : Twisted: : Twisted:
0 x
Christophe

Re: Psychological therapy through video games (not just serious games)

by Christophe » 15/07/20, 12:16

An article of the day: http://www.slate.fr/story/192735/jeu-vi ... es-egalite

Video games at the service of the post-covid world?

Can video games save us?

Isabelle Patroix - July 15, 2020 at 11:49 a.m.

What if ... we rebuild the world differently? What if the game reminded us of the importance of knowing yourself in order to live better in harmony with the world?

https://kotaku.com/researchers-are-usin ... 1842070007
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/01/21, 18:25

Just listening to the soundtrack is therapy:

0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 02/01/21, 18:33

Christophe wrote:Just listening to the soundtrack is therapy:

"Red Dead Redemption"

Playing this game is also a therapy that allows him to cultivate his zen so much that he quits unexpectedly. So much so that I found it unplayable and uninstalled. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/01/21, 19:27

Are you playing? At your age ? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

You're talking about the 2 I presume since the 1 was only released on console 10 years ago (and a console that crashes all the same less in general ...)

Indeed Red 2 was bugged as it should when it was released on PC 1 year ago ... but it has been patched since.

Otherwise apply these tips: https://www.drivereasy.com/knowledge/ho ... ash-on-pc/

Try these fixes

Update to the latest graphics drivers
Revert back to Vulkan
Run as admin
Verify game integrity
Disable antivirus software temporarily
Perform a clean boot
Check your system files
Setting Windows to manage Virtual Memory
High-Performance Mode
Change your audio sampling

If you bought it it's worth trying these tips ...
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 02/01/21, 20:04

Christophe wrote:Are you playing? At your age ? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Tee, check this out:
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 03/01/21, 18:50

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:
Christophe wrote:Are you playing? At your age ? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

Tee, check this out:
"It's me who did it" : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/21, 12:04

No kidding ? I didn't understand your answer now yes :)

So you are a moder glitch cheater making an ultra powerful (but very ugly) weapon? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

The Borderlands series I never hung you can not love everything in video games!

Me zossi I modify zeux videos but rather mapping ...

- some nice maps for CS 1.6 - early 2000!

- some maps for DOD Source (mid 2000) including the famous DOD_Bunky with holes (roooh promised I had beta tested lol):

- some Far Cry 5 mapping more recently!
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 04/01/21, 13:00

Christophe wrote:No kidding ? I didn't understand your answer now yes :)
So you are a moder glitch cheater making an ultra powerful (but very ugly) weapon? : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

I moderated when I had finished the game and if this weapon is ugly, it's just because you could replace its cosmetic by a quality. Otherwise, most of the weapons I had created were textured. It's just kidding that I made this clip when I still had a Mac. : Mrgreen:
Ps: Far Cry 5, the worst of the series (the end is grotesque, among others) except for the 6 (New Dawn) whose open world is neither more nor less the same as in the 5, but with a treatment "post apocalyptic" and an unconvincing story.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 04/01/21, 13:20

I didn't find it so bad on the 5th despite the reviews (I finished them all except the too repetitive 2nd), I spent a good 60 hours there, a good part of which was in co-op! I had a good time on some characters and the humor unleashed like the big moron of Hurk (which we also play in the 4 in coop)! I haven't finished the 3 DLC yet ... : Mrgreen:

The integrated editor and the arcade mode increase the lifespan quite a bit ...

New Dawn is 5.5, it should have been a DLC at 15 € it is finished in 20 p.m. But there are some cool things in it like the mini role-playing game and the expeditions ... The real 6 is coming to you. learn nothing if?

After that remains far cry gameplay ... we like it or not ... it's quite "cartoon" ...

As you can imagine I have just finished Red Dead 2 ... it is rated 19 out of 20, the scenario and the aesthetic and sound production are worth 25 out of 20 but the ergonomics 10 out of 20 ... In short, it is far from '' be flawless (complex gameplay, menus defined in LSD during a rave party and persistent bugs ... bugs are forgiven in such a complex game ... the rest less spoils the pleasure of the game ... )

Between the 2 there is the very nice Ghost Recon Wildlands (to be preferred to Breakpoint) which in co-op is great! And that makes the transition with what I wanted to say in connection with this subject: co-op video games are a very good psychological therapy against the social isolation of covid !! Think of the headset of course!

I'm starting Red Dead Online! : Mrgreen:
0 x