Neuralink: Brain Machine Interface VS Handicaps, (again) a (crazy) project by Elon Musk!

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Re: Neuralink: Brain Machine VS Handicaps Interface, (again) a (crazy) project by Elon Musk!

by Christophe » 30/08/20, 12:21

a) We know that the EV will not save the world at least in its existing configuration ... but it is still a step forward in the right direction!
We are not going to repeat the debate already made 10 years ago on this forum.

b) On Neuralink, from what I understood (I watched the 7 minutes on video and once again it's not my domain ...) for the moment it is to demonstrate that we know how to put and remove the chip on pigs without sequelae and take data in real time ... What is the processing of this data? Elon may say so in the full conference ...

Obviously we are far from making a paraplegic walk again, but be careful, it goes fast with Elon! And he doesn't say everything publicly ... obviously ...
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Neuralink: Brain Machine VS Handicaps Interface, (again) a (crazy) project by Elon Musk!

by ABC2019 » 30/08/20, 12:27

Christophe wrote:a) We know that the EV will not save the world at least in its existing configuration ... but it is still a step forward in the right direction!
We are not going to repeat the debate already made 10 years ago on this forum.

I wasn't there 10 years ago, sorry, but I'll be curious if you converged, because personally I don't think the EV is going to do much for the future of the world, as it's still an object highly technological totally dependent on industrial society.

b) On Neuralink, from what I understood (I watched the 7 minutes on video and once again it's not my domain ...) for the moment it is to demonstrate that we know how to put and remove the chip on pigs without sequelae and take data in real time ... What is the processing of this data? Elon may say so in the full conference ...

Obviously we are far from making a paraplegic walk again, but be careful, it goes fast with Elon! And he doesn't say everything publicly ... obviously ...

to make a paraplegic walk by piloting an exoskeleton (by "reading" precisely the neural circuits which normally control muscles), that seems to me to be possible. But it is totally different to intervene in the memories, the capacities of reflections etc ... which are much more complex and still largely not understood. That's the problem with Musk, he plays on futuristic fantasies (Mars, energy transition, augmented man), to over-sell things that are certainly technological advances, but without at all having the promised impact.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 30/08/20, 12:31

Christophe wrote:Source?

Are you kidding my g .... e? You ask me for a source when it's public data, when so many members post things without ever providing any source?
Tesla site, you can go and configure yours by clicking on the home page on "order", the price increases according to the options chosen. For the "top of the range", excluding options, it starts at € 64890. Don't forget to get out before the end of the procedure! : Lol:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/20, 12:38

Precisely it is because you are so picky about the sources and that I am lazy to look that I asked!

Please give me the exact source ...

Is it that bad?

ps: there was also the Tesla Powerwall in Elon's boxes ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/20, 12:42

ABC2019 wrote:I wasn't there 10 years ago, sorry, but I'll be curious if you converged, because personally I don't think the EV is going to do much for the future of the world, as it's still an object highly technological totally dependent on industrial society.

There is an internal search engine ... Again I am lazy ...
search.php

ABC2019 wrote:to make a paraplegic walk by piloting an exoskeleton (by "reading" precisely the neural circuits which normally control muscles), that seems to me to be possible. But it is totally different to intervene in the memories, the capacities of reflections etc ... which are much more complex and still largely not understood. That's the problem with Musk, he plays on futuristic fantasies (Mars, energy transition, augmented man), to over-sell things that are certainly technological advances, but without at all having the promised impact.

Yes, that's the idea ... and for motor disabilities, it might be easier to work on the nerve endings than in the brain, but techno is similar ... Again it's not my field !

Otherwise I predict human-machine transconsciousness by 2050 ...

Then it's often the dreamers who really get things done.

What would you have thought of the pioneers of aviation? Look at where we are 100 years later ...

When you have 80 billion "in your pocket", you could no longer have anything to sell and above all no longer take any risks (that's what most billionaires do, right?) ... Elon does it ... so for this it is necessary to respect and admire it (at least in part ...)
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 30/08/20, 12:49

Christophe wrote:Precisely it is because you are so picky about the sources and that I am lazy to look that I asked!

Please give me the exact source ...

Is it that bad?

https://www.tesla.com/fr_fr/model3

PS: do you know an application called Google? You type "Tesla" and you'll see it's magic! : Lol:
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 30/08/20, 12:53

Christophe wrote:
Otherwise I predict human-machine transconsciousness by 2050 ...

what do you call "human-machine transconsciousness", what kind of invention would it take for you to consider having won your bet?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/20, 12:55

sicetaitsimple wrote:PS: do you know an application called Google? You type "Tesla" and you'll see it's magic! : Lol:

Ah? Cool !!
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 30/08/20, 12:58

Christophe wrote:What would you have thought of the pioneers of aviation? Look at where we are 100 years later ...

As long as the ideas were based on a fairly well understood physical foundation, and birds and flying insects existed, I think I would have thought it was quite achievable with technical advancements.
For example I think it is possible to pilot an exoskeleton with thoughts (we have already done this).
On the other hand, there is no "well-understood" basis of the brain which makes it possible to envisage a consciousness associated with a machine, that is only based on the development of a science fiction literature and cinema (Star wars , blade runner, terminator, etc ...), and it is no more realistic than the time machine or the antigravitation of H G Wells, which were well imagined but never realized, and for good reason. ..
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 30/08/20, 13:02

ABC2019 wrote:what do you call "human-machine transconsciousness", what kind of invention would it take for you to consider having won your bet?

The transfer of a human consciousness into a machine (reversible er ... if possible) ... widely already mentioned in SF obviously ...

At the beginning it would be mental control of machine of the humanoid kind (like avatar avatars ...) in bi lateral obviously (return to the senses useful to the situation ...) ... therefore the human body should continue to to be "there" ... but eventually we can predict a total transfer of consciousness without the obligation to keep the body awake ... or even alive ...

But that will probably be a little later than 2050 ... except for surprises!

This rather unknown, poorly rated film evokes the subject:

0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"