Ball lightning!

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 10/07/12, 23:25

You touch on a technical detail that I do not master.
I use the stuff to the best of my ability.
And for the limits I do with :P
0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
plasmanu
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by plasmanu » 13/07/12, 17:54

3 beautiful photos of lightning, not of me : Cry:
The stuff that must have: I can not imagine the price.

0 x
"Not to see Evil, not to hear Evil, not to speak Evil" 3 little monkeys Mizaru
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 16/10/12, 20:28

News for our friend Deledeco :D (without any guarantee or filtering, I agree)

http://www.wikistrike.com/article-le-my ... 15239.html
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Photo of lightning, lightning: exposure parameters

by Obamot » 16/10/12, 23:38

plasmanu wrote:3 beautiful photos of lightning, not of me : Cry:
The stuff that must have: I can not imagine the price.

Any reflex allows it! We find very good Sony or Konica-Minolta at 300 € used nowadays! And even a P&S You need:
- A reflex with different lenses and if possible a small telephoto zoom lens (or P&S with long exposure) and memory card;
- A tripod to put it on with clamping screw, of course ...;
- A well charged battery;
- A flexible cable or wireless trigger, to avoid making a "shake" (or use the self-timer, but luckily ...);
- Use pose B or a pose of a few seconds (10 to 30sec approximately);
- Closure of the diaphragm at F / 11 at ISO 400 (everything will be clear, from the foreground to infinity);
- 100 ISO would be enough (but in development to infinity);
- a thunderstorm with lightning (yes, if I assure you ...);
- a visual frame which lends itself well to it (mountain, lake, city);
- a "covered and dry" shelter, if possible with a lightning rod so as not to be "thawed" while you are taking your photos ... : Mrgreen:
- a bit of a bowl;
- patience...
- and good insurance (you never know : Cheesy: )

Look here:
http://www.pbase.com/pegsam/image/136651901
(When you arrive on the photo page, you click on "Full Exif" and deploys all the technical characteristics of each shot)

There a competition, with each time the camera and the technical characteristics of each shot, directly under the photo: ...>
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/10/12, 00:23

elephant wrote:News for our friend Deledeco :D (without any guarantee or filtering, I agree)

http://www.wikistrike.com/article-le-my ... 15239.html

I had already seen elsewhere, but nothing convincing, at all, many conditional, fuzzy, because like a lot of others, inability to reproduce experimentally with each stroke.

We must explain this basic change which is never observed:

According to Lowke's theory, some of these ions can accumulate outside of non-conductive surfaces such as a window.

and why cala, usual rapid recombination, does not occur:

In most cases, these positive and negative ions recombine in a fraction of a second, says Lowke. All the remaining ions move to the ground.

It is identical to seeing your fluorescent lamp, continue to light long after having cut the power !!
Never seen and therefore wrong !!!

The next step will be to use the theory to reproduce ball lightning in the laboratory. Which can be difficult, since it would require equipment capable of producing 100 million volts. But a ball lightning event observed by a former US Air Force pilot suggests another approach.

except that with the 100million volts (in reality on the km for real lightning !!) many would have died watching it pass, like my mother-in-law, who stayed alive !!!
this is just speculation

We need another rare phenomenon which escapes us and which provides the energy necessary to keep this fluorescent ball for a long time !!

This is why I associate it with cold fusion, not very reproducible, but more accessible to experience !!!

It could be a special radioactive particle which appears in a strong discharge on a rare particle, it, without interaction, with our matter, like a kind of very heavy neutrino, which exceptionally interacts by ionizing our air.

This would explain the very aberrant behavior sometimes observed.

But I do not publish such a muddy thing, like this article and also many others on ball lightning, pretending to solve, without any proof !!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/10/12, 00:43

http://www.agu.org/pubs/crossref/2012/2 ... 7921.shtml

See the sliide show at the bottom of the page (click to deploy it). Not uninteresting. It doesn't look like gigolos. 8) There is an interesting line of thought.
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 17/10/12, 02:07

The energy balance, does not stand more upright than the Vialle machine or others !!!

My mother-in-law had not seen it coming through a window and the ball pierced a round hole in a thick wall, shriveled up and burnt a radio with a lamp (nice energy) to leave by the stove, leaving a perfectly round hole in the mica window of this stove and leave by the fireplace !! The hole is impossible to make without breaking the mica into pieces !!

Nothing in this theory explains these facts, especially the duration of the energy released in a plasma, which formed in a microwave oven of 1KW, lasts less than a tenth of a second, when the microwave is cut (see Russians manipulation ).

One more theory to amuse the gallery, on a phenomenon which escapes us, especially impossible to reproduce, which therefore escapes us, and yet real, with an energy for the plasma unknown !!!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 17/10/12, 07:18

A theory is no longer just a hypothesis.

Dedeleco doesn't fall in love with this link : Lol:

Yet they do not promise the Moon! And there is no complete theory, yet. No broken promise! Just the description of the observation of the birth of the process:

"The present paper reports detailed observations of the initiation or birth of ball lightning"

I really don't see where the problem is. On the contrary, where the sellers of miracles eventually raged, we see there the embryo of something in great detail by real scientists. (Research School of Physics and Engineering, Australian National University, Canberra, ACT, - Materials Science and Engineering, CSIRO, Sydney, New South Wales - Australia.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 17/10/12, 09:16

Deledeco said:

like my mother-in-law, who stayed alive !!!

We're sorry for you.

0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
JL Freerider
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by JL Freerider » 17/10/12, 14:12

Hello everyone.

a little testimony:

When I was ten years old, my parents being a farmer, we lived on the farm, I am from Loiret and thunderstorms in summer are pretty violent!
One evening, shortly before nightfall, a thunderstorm had been heard for at least half an hour.
A little crackling in the air and a 1 second after a lightning fell on the hangar in front of the house where we were about 50 meters from there.
What terrorized me the most was the terrible noise it caused.
As soon as the lightning passed, a ball of fire the size of a small balloon began to roll on the roof of the hangar, but without really rolled because one had the impression that it did not really touch the sheets. then finish its race on the ground where it disappeared. sela will last 5 seconds at most.
From the memory I have of it, it was the color of the traditional flame.
There was straw under this hangar and despite the lightning there was no fire.

Suffice to say that I have never been so scared, and this experience has troubled my mother who has since had a blue fear of thunderstorms.

For my part it never knows reproduced, on the other hand for my father it is the second time. (or the first time he did not see a fireball, but he lost consciousness. (we suppose he had to take a little bit of the electric shock)

JL
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"