Is capillarity anti-gravity?

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Re: Is capillarity anti-gravity?

by Christophe » 09/03/20, 18:18

Exnihiloest wrote:He laughs but he still tried to verify that the water that rises by capillary action will not then drip.

Hee hee hee!

Oops ... but what is this little task, just vertically at the end of the wick? : Mrgreen:

20200308_233619.jpg
20200308_233619.jpg (112.09 KB) Viewed times 2633

Otherwise, I never claimed (or thought) that the system was closed! Obviously the ambient temperature (rather energy) plays on the phenomenon!
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 09/03/20, 19:00

Christophe wrote:... Oops ... but what is this little task, just vertically at the end of the wick? : Mrgreen: [/ size]

If the tip of the wick is able by evaporation to condense drops inside the container, outside too. And they fall.
This is the reason why physicists do their thermodynamic experiments in thermostatic chambers.

Christophe wrote:...
Otherwise, I never claimed (or thought) that the system was closed! Obviously the ambient temperature (rather energy) plays on the phenomenon!

I did not say that you had claimed it, I suspect that you understood it. I only said that you can not prove anything with your experience (except effect without any ambiguity because of its order of magnitude, for example a continuous flow of water in a cycle where capillarity would make the rise :) ).
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/03/20, 19:34

Exnihiloest wrote:If the tip of the wick is able by evaporation to condense drops inside the container, outside too. And they fall.
This is the reason why physicists do their thermodynamic experiments in thermostatic chambers.

I haven't said or claimed anything else from the start other than what I noticed... that is to say an overflow by capillarity and therefore a rise in mass and I gave you the conditions ... That's all, but you as you know that it is impossible you had to question my word and my findings ... That's what I blame you for!

Regarding you, this is called flipping your jacket like a mess *, since 24 hours ago you said: science-and-technology / capillarite-this-is-anti-gravity-t16290-100.html # p383364

Exnihiloest wrote:
Christophe wrote:If I have drops falling you should lower your valve a little! : Mrgreen:

But you won't get any.

Lost... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 10/03/20, 00:54

Christophe wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:If the tip of the wick is able by evaporation to condense drops inside the container, outside too. And they fall.

I haven't said or claimed anything else from the start other than what I noticed... that is to say an overflow by capillarity and therefore a rise in mass and I gave you the conditions ... That's all, but you as you know that it is impossible you had to question my word and my findings ... That's what I blame you for!

Regarding you, this is called flipping your jacket like a mess *, since 24 hours ago you said: science-and-technology / capillarite-this-is-anti-gravity-t16290-100.html # p383364

Exnihiloest wrote:
Christophe wrote:If I have drops falling you should lower your valve a little! : Mrgreen:

But you won't get any.

I said it. But I would prefer to see a photo of the drop that forms at the end of the wick (not so easy to detach a drop from its support!) Than to see a stain of which nothing says how it was formed. And why just a drop then, why it does not drip continuously?
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/03/20, 01:21

ABC2019 wrote:I said it. But I would prefer to see a photo of the drop that forms at the end of the wick (not so easy to detach a drop from its support!) Than to see a stain of which nothing says how it was formed. And why just a drop then, why it does not drip continuously?

He said it too ...

Sorry I have no better at the moment but we can see in the photos (in reality we can see better) that the tip of the wick is more red than the top ... which means that it is denser in liquid. ..You saw it I don't think?

For the continuous drip may not be dreaming ... eh! I said that the phenomenon was long from the start!
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 10/03/20, 06:13

Christophe wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:I said it. But I would prefer to see a photo of the drop that forms at the end of the wick (not so easy to detach a drop from its support!) Than to see a stain of which nothing says how it was formed. And why just a drop then, why it does not drip continuously?

He said it too ...

Sorry I have no better at the moment but we can see in the photos (in reality we can see better) that the tip of the wick is more red than the top ... which means that it is denser in liquid. ..You saw it I don't think?

For the continuous drip may not be dreaming ... eh! I said that the phenomenon was long from the start!

if it is long, the drop must take a long time to form, and therefore must remain long in a well-formed position and not yet detached, so you should have time to observe and photograph it, weird your story ...
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 10/03/20, 07:12

Christophe wrote:Sorry I have no better at the moment but we can see in the photos (in reality we can see better) that the tip of the wick is more red than the top ... which means that it is denser in liquid. ..You saw it I don't think?

it just means that the evaporation has concentrated the dye at the top of the wick ... moreover your drop does not seem justly colored!
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 10/03/20, 10:34

ABC2019 wrote:it just means that the evaporation has concentrated the dye at the top of the wick ... moreover your drop does not seem justly colored!

No I mean "at the bottom of the top of the curved bit down" (hey have to follow! : Cheesy: ).

We can see it quite well in this photo:

20200308_233628.jpg
20200308_233628.jpg (59.75 KB) Viewed times 2584

The tip of the wick is also wetter than the rest but it is difficult to show in photos ...

If the drop had not been colored I could not have taken a photo: it is a trace of dye ...

Good there is more than to wait for the other (possible) drops ...
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 10/03/20, 11:11

Christophe wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:it just means that the evaporation has concentrated the dye at the top of the wick ... moreover your drop does not seem justly colored!

No I mean "at the bottom of the top of the curved bit down" (hey have to follow! : Cheesy: ).

We can see it quite well in this photo:

20200308_233628.jpg

bah yes then the dye molecules have a lower potential energy at the bottom than at the top, it's normal that its concentration is higher.
The tip of the wick is also wetter than the rest but it is difficult to show in photos ...

same reason (and it's basically the same reason that the pressure drops with altitude!).
If the drop had not been colored I could not have taken a photo: it is a trace of dye ...

to the eye it looks rather wet spot without dye, but hey it may also be that by handling the wick you dropped a droplet;). In any case your close-up photo does not show any drop in formation ready to fall, and as I said the detachment of a drop is not so simple!
Good there is more than to wait for the other (possible) drops ...

with the photo of the drop in formation please! 8)
0 x

Christophe

by Christophe » 10/03/20, 11:31

Yep ... there's more patience! : Cheesy:

It is possible for the manipulation .... but I hadn't manipulated anything at all during the 1st experiment (object of the creation of this subject) ... my error was not to take photos at this time there (not thought ..)
0 x

Back to "Science and Technology"