Astronomy: space conquest and the latest news from the stars

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Re: Astronomy: latest news from the stars

by ENERC » 19/04/21, 19:41

Christophe wrote:By the way, has anyone figured out the mechanics of the Martian Bazaar?

With a movement control system only based on 2 counter-rotating propellers with fixed inclination the only 2 possible movements (without wind) are in Z and in yaw ... so this does not allow you to do anything other than up and down and rotate on your axis ...

So I imagine that one of the 2 propellers can tilt or both? : Mrgreen:

The solar panel also seems very small for a flight of a few minutes, several days of charging ...

I couldn't find anything in the documents: maybe they use a small mass which moves and which unbalances the helicopter: with 600g on Mars, no need for a very heavy thing.
For the solar panel the flight consumes 350W max for 90 seconds max. So very small battery and small panel. The helicopter weighs 1800g on land.
The air is 100x times less dense than on earth, but the gravity is weaker. So you need "just" 38x more lift than on Earth.

For the calculations, it's here: https://rotorcraft.arc.nasa.gov/Publica ... _final.pdf
1 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 19/04/21, 20:36

Obamot wrote:I see mostly amateurism, 6 years for that?

Uh, my Xiaomi Mi drone does better than that ...

It can generate routes, we can configure automatic take-offs and landings (it does not land anywhere ... anyhow) it comes back before the batteries are dead (there the mission leader shits at the frock saying: rho we didn't want to drain the batteries too much on the first day (or something like that) mdr.

He follows me ...

He knows how to return to his base on his own ... HIM ... : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy:

Where is Nasa at the time with its great technological demonstrations? : Cheesy:
Everything is going crazy : Idea: :P

I hope they asked DJI to contribute to the automatic flight logic because otherwise it's not worth it!

Maybe an explanation for this, I have a buddy who worked a few years ago for the fabrication / validation of satellite components.
He told me that the reliability aspect is so important that they were ready to do mountains of tests and other validations, to sacrifice certain performances to be absolutely sure of the performance over time of the thing they are going to orbit especially in extreme conditions. A small 3-bullet component that goes wild can cost 10zens of millions of euros ... by derailing the entire mission. So the validations are insane of complexity etc ... ditto for piloting software.
1 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 19/04/21, 20:48

Fair !

But then ... no Sony 13 MP camera redundancy? A shabby black / white camera under the stomach at 0,5 MP! Why ?

With redundancy it could downsample if it is the weight of the images that is the problem. In addition, no need to say that the ventral is b / w, ALL digital cameras, same colors, are b / w, it is the bayer matrix which filters the colors *. The sensor itself is b / w. So color is not a “luxury”, nor is it heavier to carry, nor does it consume much more current.

Of course they have their reasons. I do not doubt it. I respect them, But don't forget that we are in an era where there is a lot of incompetence. Everywhere (we see it with the covid every day). And in teams with a lot of researchers, everyone wants to put their two cents in and they have to make many compromises. In the end, is it as efficient / sharp as a small team?

Altimeter no more than a few tens of meters ...? I'm giving up : Cheesy:

*) except the Foveon technique and the like, which filter the colors via the thickness of the substrate and according to the wavelength speed of the primary colors (or something ...)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/04/21, 14:47

This is exactly what Flytox says! Oba, try to send your dji mavic 5 minutes into space (not even on) and we'll see if you can turn it back on ... I have some doubts!

Or more pragmatically, put the freezer for 1 month and then in the oven at 80 ° for 24 hours ...

Here is the NASA published a video of a little better quality (it is not yet Full HD ...):

1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/04/21, 15:41

Do you ever embroider on what others haven't said?

FLytox is absolutely right, but they said they were taking off-the-shelf equipment.

Sensors are components purchased on the market,

I was talking about a collaboration with DJI for the “functions”, ie “guidance”, “navigation”, implemented in the on-board program. There is no doubt that it then had to be adapted to “Martian flight”, to the weight of the helicopter on Mars, to the particular lift, etc. Chui anyway not neuneu ... : Cheesy: (go ahead, say yes to see ...) : Mrgreen:

If you want my opinion, I would NEVER have counted for a test flight like this if I had been on the dev team.

I would have made a CLOSED automatic tie-down system in the Martian Jeep ...
and / or the module (if there is one that will come back to Earth)

And the chopper would always come back to the "captive" position of one or the other of the tie-down systems ...
And automatically. No question that it arises on Martian soil, why do it? Well, let's say it can land, that's a plus, but it's extra weight.

I would never have taken such a risk of such a test flight as a “chef de mission”. These idiots haven't even installed a windsock, to see if there is any turbulence. It is a sure way, which does not break down ...

The more I think about it, the more it smells of amateurism ...

An altimeter provided by ... Garmin, which measures altitude up to a height of a few tens of meters, go to Mars with a chopper for that. They make me laugh. : Mrgreen: I would have gone on an airship that can hover for hours without consuming any energy, in a very thin, aluminized film. The balloon would gain altitude in the heat of the day, and come down on its own with the coolness of the night (I had read something like that). And at the same time sensors would recharge the battery to power the motors AND 2 CAMERAS 8K and not HD : Mrgreen: and make trips. Even if the battery was down after a certain time, the system would be autonomous with the direct power supply (see Solar impulse ....) and the machine could continue its missions. We have to go back to the pioneers of aviation to find simple solutions, because they are more reliable.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 20/04/21, 17:49

PS: I said I had a Xiaomi Mi, because I wanted a Sony Exmor sensor (like NASA) : Mrgreen:
Not that crap from DJi amerlope.
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 21/04/21, 17:47

This is still the case in space, on the one hand because the missions start to be studied often 10 years or more before launch, so the technologies are always outdated when we launch the instruments, on the other hand because the very harsh conditions in space (cosmic rays in particular) require hardened components, larger, more consuming, for a reduced energy budget therefore necessarily also of lower performance.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 21/04/21, 21:18

: Lol: We can already see the roundness of Mars
1 x
Flytox

by Flytox » 21/04/21, 23:09

Obamot wrote:FLytox is absolutely right, but they said they were taking off-the-shelf equipment.

Sensors are components purchased on the market,

The friend told me that they did not manufacture the components but bought them in large numbers with a very severe or even more military manufacturing standard, and subjected them to torture (spatial conditions) under particularly close supervision. Analyzing any damage could take months ...
2 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 21/04/21, 23:34

Flytox wrote:
Obamot wrote:
Flytox wrote:

Maybe an explanation for this, I have a buddy who worked a few years ago for the fabrication / validation of satellite components.
He told me that the reliability aspect is so important that they were ready to do mountains of tests and other validations, to sacrifice certain performances to be absolutely sure of the performance over time of the thing they are going to orbit especially in extreme conditions. A small 3-bullet component that goes wild can cost 10zens of millions of euros ... by derailing the entire mission. So the validations are insane of complexity etc ... ditto for piloting software.

FLytox is absolutely right, but they said they were taking off-the-shelf equipment.

The friend told me that they did not manufacture the components but bought them in large numbers with a very severe or even more military manufacturing standard, and subjected them to torture (spatial conditions) under particularly close supervision. Analyzing any damage could take months ...
I validate, I had mounted an RIAA preamplifier with components to “military tolerances”. This is of course.
0 x