Astronomy: space conquest and the latest news from the stars

General scientific debates. Presentations of new technologies (not directly related to renewable energies or biofuels or other themes developed in other sub-sectors) forums).
Christophe

Re: Astronomy: latest news from the stars

by Christophe » 01/11/20, 17:16

For the baddest of us:

Cosmologists have noticed an anomaly in the fossil radiation of the Universe, this luminous vestige that dates back to the beginnings of the cosmos. Measurement artifact, or a real "axis of evil" hiding unknown physical laws?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/20, 13:55

880 MT it's still going ... the Star Bomba was at 50 MT ....

I think the illustration is exaggerated ... No?

By the way ... I learned this recently: 1 kg of TNT is 10 times less energetic than 1 kg of oil! Oh yes...

So 88 MT of oil ... what does that represent?

We burn about 100M barrels per day.

1 Ton = 1208/159 = 7.6 barrels.

We therefore burn 100 / 7.6 = 13 million tonnes per day.

88 MT therefore corresponds to an energy of 1 week of worldwide consumption ...

Obviously it is dispersed! : Cheesy:

In short, 880 MT will not exterminate man on Earth ... : Cheesy:
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 07/11/20, 22:50

Christophe wrote:
By the way ... I learned this recently: 1 kg of TNT is 10 times less energetic than 1 kg of oil! Oh yes...

Source?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/11/20, 22:51

wiki : Cheesy:

The detonation energy is 4,184 MJ / kg.

It can be noted that explosives (non-nuclear) produce less energy per kilogram than food products such as fat (38 MJ / kg) or sugar (17 MJ / kg). Likewise, a ton of oil equivalent is worth 41,868 GJ compared to a ton of TNT which is equivalent to 4,184 GJ.

Hey yes that also surprised me ...

Do you want to make a bomb? Go to the pump !! : Mrgreen:
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 08/11/20, 06:35

Christophe wrote:wiki : Cheesy:

The detonation energy is 4,184 MJ / kg.

It can be noted that explosives (non-nuclear) produce less energy per kilogram than food products such as fat (38 MJ / kg) or sugar (17 MJ / kg). Likewise, a ton of oil equivalent is worth 41,868 GJ compared to a ton of TNT which is equivalent to 4,184 GJ.

Hey yes that also surprised me ...

Do you want to make a bomb? Go to the pump !! : Mrgreen:

attention there is a subtlety, it is that oil is not an explosive, it is completely stable, it burns only when it is in contact with an oxidant (the oxygen of the air in practice), and 1 t of oil needs about 2 t of oxygen to burn! if we add oxygen, we can divide by 3 its energy released per kg. But it's still 3 times more energetic than an explosive. This is quite normal because the explosive must have in itself the oxidant and the reducing agent (it is the "nitro" which is oxidizing in the TNT or the nitroglycerine which ensures the speed of the explosion, because there is no There is no problem of diffusing the oxidant and the reducing agent towards each other. Liquid petroleum or solid paraffins cannot explode, it is necessary to make a gas mixture as in the combustion engine. An explosive will be inevitably unstable, but we limit the instability so that it is not too explosive anyway, otherwise it fart at the slightest shock: hence a compromise, a certain power is needed, but not too much. While hydrocarbons can be very concentrated without risk of explosion.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/20, 12:10

Obviously this has to be at the stoichiometry ... with the addition of an oxidizer therefore, ideally O2 or something like concentrated H2O2 or N2H2 or N2O2 ... powerful oxidants are not lacking in chemistry...

But that does not change the energy capacity of the fuel ... with stoichiometry all the energy is released more or less instantly.

It's been around for 30 or 40 years and it's called oxidizer fuel bombs ... and it puts pressure like nuclear explosions ...

I remember it well because we see one in the intro of the film Alert in 1995 that I saw in the cinema ...

Hey, it was a zoonosis too : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

https://www.allocine.fr/film/fichefilm_ ... 12240.html
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/20, 12:18

More scientifically this is called a THERMOBARIC weapon: https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arme_thermobarique

A thermobaric weapon is a conventional, explosive type weapon that combines thermal, shock wave and vacuum effects.

This type of weapon is also called thermobaric overpressure weapons (high-impulse thermobaric weapons, HITs in English), fuel-air explosives' (fuel-air explosives, FAE or FAX), aerosol cans or vacuum bombs.

0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 08/11/20, 12:19

Christophe wrote:Obviously this has to be at the stoichiometry ... with the addition of an oxidizer therefore, ideally O2 or something like concentrated H2O2 or N2H2 or N2O2 ... powerful oxidants are not lacking in chemistry...

But that does not change the energy capacity of the fuel ... with stoichiometry all the energy is released more or less instantly.

It's been around for 30 or 40 years and it's called oxidizer fuel bombs ... and it puts pressure like nuclear explosions ...

it's just that when you measure the energy release per kg, you also have to put the mass of the oxidizer, which is not done when you look at that of oil

Then you can very well have the power of a nuclear device with chemical explosives, it is enough to put a million times more ...
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/11/20, 12:27

Yes, okay, but it remains favorable to fuel even when counting the O2 ...

Then the air is still free right?

I'm sure that a compressed air gasoline canister (like with 200 bar diving tanks ...) would work well enough ... but I'm not going to use my intelligence to test that ...
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 08/11/20, 13:22

Christophe wrote:Yes, okay, but it remains favorable to fuel even when counting the O2 ...

Then the air is still free right?

I'm sure that a compressed air gasoline canister (like with 200 bar diving tanks ...) would work well enough ... but I'm not going to use my intelligence to test that ...

the problem is that it's complicated to mix different products without it exploding. Explosives are special molecules which combine both an oxidizing oxidizing part ("nitro" group NO2, nitrate ion, peroxide group -OO-) and a reducing fuel part (carbon, ammonia). Suddenly everything is ready for it to explode suddenly, they are already a few nm from each other :).
0 x