3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological breakthrough, but beware of the risks!

Forum dedicated to 3D printing: 3D printing technologies (fdm, lcd, sla ...), hardware, software, slicers, settings, use, database, model exchange, tips and tricks, optimization, exchange of experiences...
Christophe

Re: 3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological advance, but beware of the risks!

by Christophe » 14/09/20, 08:54

Ah and that's enough, I would have to try one day.

I only have a detachment problem (during and post printing) with the PETG (a crap to print: either it sticks too much or not enough ... and lots of hair ...).

For the rest of the materials with a good raft (function offered by the tronxy slicer and which frankly helps a lot) it adheres and comes off very easy (but with an additional printing time ... one of my last piece took + 2 hours just for the raft)
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: 3D printer and health ... A marvelous technological advance, but beware of the risks!

by Macro » 14/09/20, 10:49

My kid tried to print counterfeit car parts in abs all weekend (cover for jack sockets on seat leon rocker panels) .... Deformation or take off : Cheesy: : Cheesy: : Cheesy: Would have seen the site ... I had a good time ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:

To print pokemon it works ... But for something more serious ... Not great ...
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/20, 11:22

Yes, quite agree with you (when we were "sold" the printers with the idea that we could repair everything with it was limited to bonimensonge ...)

On the tronxy with PETG (a crap I tell you!) I noticed some rather painful dimensional withdrawals which I do not yet explain (I am still thinking about it).

Example a 2 mm hollow cube of 80 * 80 * 80 (x * y * z) ended up making 80 * 75 * 85 mm (unsolicited part, we can find the 80 mm by putting a slight compression on it) ... : Shock:

No doubt thermal deformations?

Well this takes us away from the subject!
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 14/09/20, 11:31

It is true that in the room where he was doing that .... It was a stench of the old kind of discharge from the village of my childhood where everything was burning in the open .....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/20, 11:38

Is that so ? Compared to my tests in 2014 I find that the filaments are much less odorous ... almost odorless PLA, slight odor PETG ...

But I have not tried "modern" ABS ...
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 14/09/20, 15:24

I followed on Youtube a woman (nickname Heliox) who tests different 3D printers and I don't remember her talking about "proportions / sizes / deformation" problems.
My dream is to have a 3D printer one day too, but I think that by then the models and prices will be even more attractive ^^
0 x
Petrus
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Petrus » 14/09/20, 15:29

Personally, I print the PLA on a glass heating plate, when the glass cools, the part comes off by itself and the contact surface is nickel, no need for a raft.
For small parts in ABS (large parts, we forget without having a heated enclosure), I put varnish on the glass plate must be allowed to dry and it adheres well. The part also peels off when cooling, sometimes by putting a few drops of alcohol to help take off.

Christophe wrote:On the tronxy with PETG (a crap I tell you!) I noticed some rather painful dimensional withdrawals which I do not yet explain (I am still thinking about it).

Example a 2 mm hollow cube of 80 * 80 * 80 (x * y * z) ended up making 80 * 75 * 85 mm (unsolicited part, we can find the 80 mm by putting a slight compression on it) ... : Shock:

I've never tested PETG, it's strange to have shrinkage on the Y axis and not on the X, and 5 mm more on the Z axis also surprises me.
Are the faces of the cubes straight?

To come back to the initial subject, PLA is relatively odorless, unless it is heated too much, ABS, on the other hand, smells cancer well, even at normal temperature.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/20, 16:08

Indeed it is not a "perfect" cube I had put a few passes of smooth (smoothing) during the modeling. The angles are therefore not sharp and the walls slightly concave (or convex it depends on how you look :D ) ... Well a photo is worth a thousand words ... the bottom is at the bottom.

Part printed in 90 mm / s and layers of 0.25 mm.

cube.jpg
cube.jpg (54.4 KiB) Viewed 2186 times

The convexity of the vertical walls is much more marked in real life than on the computer model. We also notice an asymmetry: it is more marked on the left than on the right.

The computer model, even smoothed, was indeed 80x80x80

Also notice all these m ** hair, especially on the horizontal walls (and I have already deleted the biggest ...) .. The PETG is really a pain to print (or it's my spool which is crap ?? It's amazon basics ...) I think that this will be my 1st and last PETG reel ... I nevertheless followed the tutorials and advice that can be found on the net about PETG. Maybe I am printing a little too fast? The maximum capacity of the machine is 120 mm / s. Not a big deal, the room is functional, ugly but functional! : Cheesy:

Thanks for the teaser tips I'll try!

ps: the hole at the bottom right is because the raft was hanging too much in that place ... PETG of m ** either it hangs too much or it takes off! : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/20, 16:12

stephgouv wrote:My dream is to have a 3D printer one day too, but I think that by then the models and prices will be even more attractive ^^

A resin printer at 200 € (mounted) and 35 € per kg of resin, I don't see how it could be more attractive ... I'm talking about the Mars Elegoo which performs very very well!
0 x
stephgouv
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by stephgouv » 14/09/20, 18:20

Yes, indeed, but maybe in a few years, they will be even more precise (I'm not talking about the resin) and the price will be more attractive if we compare the quality reports to now.
0 x