Hiroshima, Nagasaki 70 years later. Uplifting!

Humanitarian catastrophes (including resource wars and conflicts), natural, climate and industrial (except nuclear or oil forum fossil and nuclear energy). Pollution of the sea and oceans.
Christophe

Re: Hiroshima, Nagasaki 70 years later. Uplifting!

by Christophe » 12/11/19, 19:20

Almost in the same subject, yesterday I went to see Midway:

It is frankly not bad especially compared to the last of its kind Pearl Harbor ...

Maybe even a little too much action ... A downside, there are so many "clone" pilots that it is difficult to understand who is who during the action scenes! : Cheesy:
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/11/19, 19:27

Another remake ... "The Battle of Midway" from 1976 was (already) a very good movie! The Americans owed their success only to having been able to decipher the Japanese code.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/11/19, 19:30

It is clear that the use of atomic bombs has deeply marked minds which may have forgotten that the phosphorus bombs (widely dropped on German cities) were hardly less appalling ...

Generally speaking, modern wars are powerful stimulants for the economy * because of the intensity of military consumption and the perfect balance between production and consumption (both being regulated). The reconversion of these mass industries after the war made the "gains" in terms of energy dissipation irreversible.

* Since it boils down to a competitive confrontation between two industrial war economies ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/11/19, 19:33

Ahmed wrote:It is clear that the use of atomic bombs has deeply marked minds which may have forgotten that the phosphorus bombs (widely dropped on German cities) were hardly less appalling ...

EUH ... No radioactivity after the incendiary bombs. But of course, the bombing and destruction of Dresden (an example) initiated by Churchill with his Gomorrah operation aimed essentially at civilian populations was also unnecessary and condemnable.
Last edited by GuyGadebois the 12 / 11 / 19, 19: 37, 1 edited once.
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/11/19, 19:35

GuyGadebois wrote:Another remake ... "The Battle of Midway" from 1976 was (already) a very good movie! The Americans owed their success only to having been able to decipher the Japanese code.

I had seen the original and I am going to see it again "to compare"!

Yes there was decryption but also a bit of luck ... as in any military victory based on intelligence ...
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/11/19, 19:55

By dint of you racking up each other, we will end up believing that Nazi Germany and Japan were really victims .....
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/11/19, 20:23

This would be a very bad interpretation, when we are talking here only of attacks against defenseless civilian populations.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/11/19, 20:23

sicetaitsimple wrote:By dint of you racking up each other, we will end up believing that Nazi Germany and Japan were really victims .....

Indeed it is. The German and Japanese peoples were the first victims of the monstrosity of their leaders.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 12/11/19, 20:41

Ahmed wrote:This would be a very bad interpretation, when we are talking here only of attacks against defenseless civilian populations.

And London and its region would not have been the object of massive bombardments, for example? And we are not going to start a debate on the Holocaust.
I do not want to justify anything here, it is in any case horrible.
But when it starts to revolve around "Dresden did not deserve this" or "Hiroshima did not deserve this", it seems very or too easy to me 70 years later.
I had the opportunity to go to Hiroshima, and to meditate there in a park which adjoins this monument which survived the explosion. It was a moment that mattered to me. But not to the point of forgetting who "started", with an ideal and a cruelty that I vomit.
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 12/11/19, 20:47

sicetaitsimple wrote:But when it starts to revolve around "Dresden did not deserve this" or "Hiroshima did not deserve this", it seems very or too easy to me 70 years later.

No one has spoken in these terms. Historically and for the fate of war, we just say that it was dispensable.
0 x

Back to "humanitarian disasters, natural, climatic and industrial"