Biodiversity, the disappearance of insects

Humanitarian catastrophes (including resource wars and conflicts), natural, climate and industrial (except nuclear or oil forum fossil and nuclear energy). Pollution of the sea and oceans.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Biodiversity, the disappearance of insects

by Exnihiloest » 13/08/20, 16:37

Insects do not disappear. We can see their decline in Europe, but not in the USA.

"Recent reports of a dramatic decline in insect abundance point to serious consequences for global ecosystems and human society. However, most of the evidence comes from Europe, which leaves some uncertainty about the evolution of insect populations around the world.
We used over 5 time series on insects and other arthropods, collected over a period of 300 to 4 years from monitoring sites representing 36 different natural and managed areas, to search for evidence of population declines in the United States. . Some taxa and sites showed decreases in abundance and diversity, while others increased or remained unchanged, resulting in net abundance and generally indistinguishable trends in biodiversity from zero. This lack of overall increase or decline was consistent across all feeding groups of arthropods and was similar for heavily disturbed sites compared to relatively natural ones. ...
"
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-1269-4

The question becomes: what do we have specific in Europe that destroys insects?
- greater population density, more town planning?
- use of less GMOs than in the USA, therefore more pesticides?
- ...?
0 x
gildas
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by gildas » 14/08/20, 13:11

Hello,
Personally I find the sun's rays burning, causing the disappearance of insects?
However, except in humid areas, there are always mosquitoes!
0 x
ENERC
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by ENERC » 14/08/20, 19:36

Exnihiloest wrote:Insects do not disappear. We can see their decline in Europe, but not in the USA.

"Recent reports of a dramatic decline in insect abundance point to serious consequences for global ecosystems and human society. However, most of the evidence comes from Europe, which leaves some uncertainty about the evolution of insect populations around the world.
We used over 5 time series on insects and other arthropods, collected over a period of 300 to 4 years from monitoring sites representing 36 different natural and managed areas, to search for evidence of population declines in the United States. . Some taxa and sites showed decreases in abundance and diversity, while others increased or remained unchanged, resulting in net abundance and generally indistinguishable trends in biodiversity from zero. This lack of overall increase or decline was consistent across all feeding groups of arthropods and was similar for heavily disturbed sites compared to relatively natural ones. ...
"
https://doi.org/10.1038/s41559-020-1269-4

The question becomes: what do we have specific in Europe that destroys insects?
- greater population density, more town planning?
- use of less GMOs than in the USA, therefore more pesticides?
- ...?

I lean towards the geography of the USA: there are very large areas with a very low density of human population and with non-intensive breeding.
For example in Texas or Wyoming you can have a ranch every 30 km. The ranch owner does not do any treatment other than antibiotics given to the animals.
It's the same in Arizona, Utha, Colorado where you can travel 100 km without seeing a living soul.
The USA is a huge country in which many areas larger than France have only a handful of inhabitants. These areas are completely natural.
So I am not surprised by this study.

On the other hand, do we have data in the "Corn Belt" or in the Napa Valley in California ?. it must be very different, especially in California where even the agricultural workers are seriously ill.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 14/08/20, 21:00

Exnihiloest wrote:Insects do not disappear. We can see their decline in Europe, but not in the USA.

To assert such a thing it would first be necessary to have the original data on the population of the number of insects present on earth before industrialization, is this the case?
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 16/08/20, 12:45

sen-no-sen wrote:

To assert such a thing it would first be necessary to have the original data on the population of the number of insects present on earth before industrialization, is this the case?

Exact. So why do we speak of the "extinction" of insects? That's what I'm responding to.
It is precisely because it is not everywhere that we see a decline, that we cannot speak of disappearance, in addition to the fact that a decline is not a disappearance.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 16/08/20, 12:52

ENERC wrote:...
I lean towards the geography of the USA: there are very large areas with a very low density of human population and with non-intensive breeding.
For example in Texas or Wyoming you can have a ranch every 30 km. The ranch owner does not do any treatment other than antibiotics given to the animals.
It's the same in Arizona, Utha, Colorado where you can travel 100 km without seeing a living soul.
The USA is a huge country in which many areas larger than France have only a handful of inhabitants. These areas are completely natural.
So I am not surprised by this study.

On the other hand, do we have data in the "Corn Belt" or in the Napa Valley in California ?. it must be very different, especially in California where even the agricultural workers are seriously ill.

I agree, the population density is surely part of the decrease.
But if breeding uses little chemicals, the USA is not stingy with pesticides, glyphosate among others is authorized and widely used there (to the point that some complain that their products are imported into France). Finally, their techniques of monocultures on immense surfaces can only harm the diversity of insects by restricting the diversity of plant species.
There are therefore still great unknowns on the decline of insects in Europe, probably multi-factorial.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/08/20, 14:18

Have you noticed ..... the invasion of wasps this year .... I have 3 nests which have formed in my house since the spring .... Including one ... Big as a basketball ... Luckily .... They are very active but not aggressive ... Exposed full south just next to the washing lines ... We can quietly do what we have to do without them coming around us ( I would even say nicer than bees)
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 20/08/20, 15:00

You preach a convinced I love wasps .... because when there are wasps there are fewer flies.

With all the odds and ends that I have to be careful because they make their nests (here only small) everywhere.
0 x
Macro
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Macro » 20/08/20, 15:20

I preach nothing I see .... As soon as it will get a little colder .... I spray I disperse I atomize ....
0 x
The only thing safe in the future. It is that there may chance that it conforms to our expectations ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Forhorse » 20/08/20, 23:23

There are a multitude of species of wasps. Generally, those which make their nests in height are less aggressive than those which make their nests underground ... afterwards you should not go looking for them either!
0 x

Back to "humanitarian disasters, natural, climatic and industrial"