Covid-19 and the Spanish flu: have we learned the lessons of 1920?

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Covid-19 and the Spanish flu: have we learned the lessons of 1920?

by Janic » 05/12/20, 17:43

sicetaitsimple
It was not you who wrote a few days ago on I do not remember which thread that 10000 deaths per day (order of magnitude of the current figure for the Covid), it was nothing compared to deaths from all other causes combined?
This is called the relativity of things!
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortalit% ... s_le_monde
have fun doing ratios! Cestsisimple! : Cheesy:
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/12/20, 18:35

Obamot wrote:5x more or 5x 20% what does that change (?), The order of magnitude is kifkif

Sorry????

The question was to explain what " if it was 5 times more, then the two pandemics would be comparable "?, not to make you a remark on a fault of agreement. Can you explain without kicking in touch?
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/12/20, 19:03

Janic wrote:sicetaitsimple
It was not you who wrote a few days ago on I do not remember which thread that 10000 deaths per day (order of magnitude of the current figure for the Covid), it was nothing compared to deaths from all other causes combined?
This is called the relativity of things!
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mortalit% ... s_le_monde
have fun doing ratios! Cestsisimple! : Cheesy:

Your table is not worth a nail .... As already explained several times (including to you), it mixes "cause of death" (for example lung cancer) and risk factor (in this case smoking) and adds everything that cheerfully.
I have already given this link several times, which at least is clear on this distinction:
https://ourworldindata.org/causes-of-death
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 05/12/20, 19:29

Your table is not worth a nail .... As already explained several times (including to you), it mixes "cause of death" (for example lung cancer) and risk factor (in this case smoking) and adds everything that cheerfully.
I did not indicate this table for qualitative but quantitative reasons
I have already given this link several times, which at least is clear on this distinction:

and why not, but quantitatively they say the same thing.
In terms of quality, this is also obvious here, with however major differences between well-to-do and poor countries. so we can't do globalization there too.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/12/20, 19:45

Janic wrote: I did not indicate this table for qualitative but quantitative reasons

and why not, but quantitatively they say the same thing.

Quantitative that adds up, as in your table, causes of death and risk factors, it's shitty quantitative.
No, the two sources are not saying the same thing at all, unless you mean the total number of deaths per year, which indeed is roughly known.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 05/12/20, 19:53

Quantitative that adds up, as in your table, causes of death and risk factors, it's shitty quantitative.
I'm not saying the opposite, that's where the covid stats go
No, the two sources are not saying the same thing at all, unless you mean the total number of deaths per year, which indeed is roughly known.
it is only this total that I mentioned. hence the term quantitative = quantity.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 05/12/20, 20:14

Janic wrote:it is only this total that I mentioned. hence the term quantitative = quantity.

Well in this case don't write "but quantitatively they say the same thing", but "the total of deaths per year is the same".
But when it comes to data that tries to "categorize" deaths by cause, it seems to me that the total alone is not really the point.
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 06/12/20, 07:34

sicetaitsimple »05/12/20, 21:14
Janic wrote:
it is only this total that I mentioned. hence the term quantitative = quantity.
Well in this case don't write "but quantitatively they say the same thing", but "the total of deaths per year is the same".
This my man each use the terms they want to the extent that it has the same meaning
But when it comes to data that tries to "categorize" deaths by cause, it seems to me that the total alone is not really the point.
In this case and for my demonstration: yes!
In addition, by causes, they often lack the necessary details. Thus, covid is considered to be the cause of death when it is only one of the elements of comorbidities. The drop that makes the vase overflow is not the only cause of overflow because if the vase had not been filled to the brim, the last drop would not have nothing overflowed. Ditto Spanish flu and other pathologies!
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 06/12/20, 09:48

Janic wrote:ABC2019 »04/12/20, 19:02
Janic wrote:
Denigrated, in my intervention above I say what it is, namely insulting doctors H by treating them as charlatan
well yes someone who gives sugar by claiming that it heals, I say that it is charlatanism, the only excuse once again being to prefer the placebo effect to cure ailments which would heal on their own anyway.
If and only if it's just sugar, it isn't.

well until you explained to me what else was there, and how much, I consider that there was. For you to specify if you want to convince "the other readers" for whom you have so much concern.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)