Alcohol and mortality: 50 000 deaths per year in France

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Alcohol and mortality: 50 000 deaths per year in France

by Janic » 14/10/21, 08:59

by phil59 »13/10/21, 20:53
The pb is tackled a serious subject, by your voice ...
Condemning everything is not a solution ...
it is not a question of condemning, nor of excusing.
I am not the author of this deadly accounting, 50.000 is already not nothing. And when the Cancer League announces that 40% cancers could be avoided, it is not a trivial matter. Not to mention acts of violence in homes or in the street, in alcoholic festivals of youth, become dependent, etc ... where only legal drugs are authorized.
But in addition, we are ch ... with a covid that claims fewer victims than cultural and economic drinking. So everyone is faced with their personal and educational responsibility in these cases.
Parents drink, but it's their children who drink!
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 14/10/21, 09:05

For good health, an anti-inflammatory diet, which of course goes by avoiding alcohol. : Wink:
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 14/10/21, 22:49

Thanks for your post. It is a very complex subject.
Even a 10 minute video cannot go through everything, as it is brought!
For your reflection, I validate as a sign of encouragement Image
But I would say “Yes and No”. and rather yes for one point and no, not necessarily, for the other - it depends on which elements we focus on - one of the ingredients of red wine is resveratrol, it is known to have anti-inflammatory effects. (but in reality it does not stop there) Where alcohol poses a problem (apart from its already known problems of addiction and damage to the arteries, etc.) is that it acidifies the food bolus , bringing us to an unfavorable pH, which notoriously hinders the catalysis of biochemical (and bioelectronic) reactions in our metabolism (to simplify).

humus wrote:For good health, an anti-inflammatory diet, which of course goes by avoiding alcohol. : Wink:
Do you have chronic inflammation?
How do you know? Is it that important?
And if we don't have any and eat “anti-inflammatory” foods, what will happen?

Should we give in to the fashion for American-type videos, which presents the “new age” lifestyle as a panacea?
Everyone does what they want but ...

- There is NO specific anti-inflammatory diet, everything is played out in subtle balances and rebalances. So it is better to have a food bolus regularly containing ALL the nutrients necessary for all metabolic functions, and not “a diet of anti-inflammatory foods”, firstly because diets (as an obligation of ...) create frustrations, which after a while will no longer hold, which will cause the organism to rebel, and which will then potentially disrupt “the bastringue establishes”, in particular because diets never work for long: while it must be understood that it is necessary to get out of the “bastringue established without rule” which potentially contains addictions and habituations (which we do not get out of like this ...) It is therefore necessary to understand that when the awareness has been made and when we are ready (in a completely independent way - therefore without external influence - this is very important) what must be implemented little by little is to choose “through what we like”, A culinary and taste strategy“for life”And which will contain everything our body needs!

- If we promote a diet (supposedly) anti-inflammatory, it will be to the detriment of the rest, so deficits can be created and which did not exist before ... do not know where they are going or what they are doing, as long as they do not know exactly where they are! You have to start by saying that people have to make a diagnosis, and establish a “map of their deficits” and that necessarily involves an appointment with a doctor qualified to do it, and who will be in charge of your follow-up. Preferably one who knows biochemistry (and other related disciplines).

- what he says is more false, at 0:45 arthritis is an inflammation of the joints caused, among other things, by the immune system, and not by a lack of “anti-inflammatory” foods. And this, since in the cases where there is abnormal degeneration of the cartilage of the joints, we are in a process which is located “upstream” of the inflammation (and to consume ONLY these “anti-inflammatory foods” is not enough to guarantee the absence of degeneration ... (especially if the pH is unfavorable ...)

- what he says is wrong at 0:59 the first known cases of diabetes date back to 4000 BC (in China)
=> diabetes which follows obesity is something else, but obesity has existed for ages, even the Mona Lisa was “a round woman” and there was no what we call “diseases of civilization ”at that time.

- what he says at 2:00 is extremely false, he says omega 3 / omega 6 (gross mistake!) You MUST say in ALL cases:
=> omega-3 or omega-6

Why the "less" preceded by the number?
Because in biochemistry we start counting carbon bonds from the end of the formula! It is a serious fault.
It is therefore someone who gives advice, but who obviously does not know what he is talking about!

In addition, it shows fried fish, while to preserve these essential polyunsaturated fatty acids, you have to eat raw fish (for example: sushi) or then cooked as the Asians know how to do with a woke, barely a few seconds at the right temperature. (which will only cook the outside, leaving the inside “alive”) otherwise, these fatty acids are transformed into the formula “CIS”In formula“TRANS”(Deadly / carcinogenic) and it will then be necessary to consume as many fatty acids in the formula“CIS"To eliminate toxins"TRANS”(Very inflammatory) => obesity (!), This fault is even more serious than the previous one: or consume cod liver oil (in capsules to avoid the taste ...! And sometimes gastro-resistant capsules ...)

! Message by Obamot
In a video supposed to be pushing people to eat “supposedly anti-inflammatory foods”It induces their transformation into highly inflammatory foods, it is an unforgivable fault!

I stopped there :!: : Evil:

As a reminder, to lose weight and remove fat (bad cholesterol, it is mainly cholesterol that is “inflammatory” since knowing that it will be eliminated, the body fixes toxins there which are inflammatory foci!) It takes “good” gras ”(polyunsaturated fatty acids) to TAKE OFF bad fat from the blood vessels, which will then be eliminated naturally ... Without doing heavy-impact sports! Walking is enough, walking for a long time, walking for hours and hours (at least ten a week ...) or cycling if you don't have enough time. Calm...

Why is there no specific anti-inflammatory diet?
Quite simply because inflammations are normal processes that the body knows how to manage and knows how to repair, since its main specialty is to compensate and fight against all stress to bring everything back to a point of equilibrium! So there is no need to worry about it, and engaging in this type of rigging is harmful, because it lures the “normal” metabolic mechanisms ...

In fact, the term “anti-inflammatory” was coined by pharmacies. Our basic metabolism IS in its very essence “anti-inflammatory”. So there is NO specific diet, there are just a few things you need to know ...

Conversely, the modern world is INFLAMMATORY FOOD ROTTENS, that it would be so much easier not to consume!
1 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 15/10/21, 11:33

Obamot wrote:
Conversely, the modern world is INFLAMMATORY FOOD ROTTENS, that it would be so much easier not to consume!

Well yes, you see, we can do less than 10 minutes, this sentence says it all.: Wink:
The standards have been reversed.
We have lost the simplicity in the diet, so we are forced to speak of "anti inflammatory" since the norm is inflammation.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 15/10/21, 12:41

This sentence may be enough, yes and no ... Yes if you've read the rest, because you have to know, : Cheesy: no if we summarize my post in a “slogan”.

Because it was necessary to put the dots on the z 'i's to this type of video, which contains fake info ...

For example the omega-3 vs omega-6 ford war is absurd:
- first of all, people should think about being endowed with it, it should not go very far, the sensitized population, (a few percent?), Curiously the advertising does even more than what people claim, suddenly , they can become suspicious ...
- let's admit that in these few percent, some wonder about the ideal ratio between the two, but how many know that omega-6 are essential “triggers” for the assimilation of omega-3 :?:
- and moreover, people force-fed omega-9 (extra virgin olive oil first cold pressed) from the bottle do very well without omega-3 or -6 (...) how do they do it. ..?

But it's still good to know ...
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/22, 16:09

Oh those Belgians! All in finesse!! : Mrgreen:

alcohol, a "social lubricant" whose excessive consumption must be approached as a disease

homas Orban is a general practitioner, specializing in alcohol addiction. He has just published with Vincent Liévin "Alcohol, what you have never been told". A book published ten days before the mineral tour. It is on February 1, in fact, that some will embark on a month without alcohol.

Thomas Orban answered questions from François Joyeux this Wednesday in Matin Première.

Does alcohol have good sides?

Excellent, in fact. I always start with that when I discuss it with patients, that's what's positive for them. I don't know anyone who drinks alcohol just to hurt themselves. That's what I always tell them. So, indeed, we have to start from the good sides. It's a social lubricant, it's a psychotropic that works by disinhibiting us a little, it's a euphoriant. The message is obviously that it is a ubiquitous product, so know how to use it.

It is sometimes said that drinking a glass of red wine once a day is good for your health. Can alcohol be beneficial to health?
No, alcohol is toxic to the body from the very first drop. There is no dose that is not toxic. Moreover, we are talking about use with less risk, we are not talking about use without risk. It does not exist. Alcohol is risky anyway. Good for health, it is an assertion that is false. We started with studies that seemed to show a benefit for the heart, but that's forgetting that we're not just a heart, we also have a brain and we also have a whole body on the side. So no, that's not correct, alcohol is not good for your health.

Your book is called Alcohol, what you were never told. What have we never been told about alcohol? We do not know everything about this product that we consume on a daily basis here, in Western Europe?

Absolutely not, and that's the reason why Vincent Liévin and I really wanted to do this book. It's to get the message across that if we're interested in our environment, if we're interested in our food, if we're interested in our well-being, we should be interested in alcohol because 'It's everywhere and we still drink it very regularly.
We think we know things, but there is a lot of information that we have known for sometimes at least 20 years and that has still not passed into the general public. Do you know, for example, that the weight of genetics in alcohol addiction weighs 40 to 60%? Most patients are completely unaware of this. Do you imagine that young people who consume alcoholic beverages have an effect on their brain that will last for at least six months? Most people don't know it and it's part of the things that are in the book, of course, so that people can take ownership of their consumption.

In this book, rather than talking about alcoholism, you talk about alcohol misuse. Why not talk about alcoholism?
Because we always talk about alcoholics. It is a word that was born in the 1800s in a fairly puritanical and Protestant Sweden. It was the ones who were really drunk from morning to night, so it disturbed society and it remained a moralizing aspect of alcohol consumption. Today, as long as you are a bon vivant, everything is fine. When you're an alcoholic, it's almost a curse and you've been ostracized from society. It is the opposite that must be done. It's a paradigm of care, that is to say that you are sick, you have to be taken care of, just like someone who has cancer, just like someone who has a chronic illness like diabetes.

Many general practitioners are still unaware of it today? That's what you say in this book. You plead because general practitioners are not sufficiently trained in the management of problematic alcohol consumption...
Exactly, that's obvious. This moralistic paradigm has caused alcohol to be somewhat ostracized from society, not when it comes to putting it in a glass, but on the other hand, when it comes to taking care of it, yes, and the training is quite insufficient. Physicians themselves are still strongly impregnated with this moral judgment. Not all of them, of course, but some yes, who say: "if an alcohol-dependent patient doesn't get out of it, it's because he doesn't want to get out of it". It's a gross misunderstanding of the disease.

Isn't it finally a question of will, the problematic consumption of alcohol?
I would rather say that the disease of alcohol is going to blow this fuse of the will as far as she is concerned. I know plenty of people who have incredible willpower in their lives who still got sick from alcohol. So it doesn't quite have anything to do with it.

But why is it so difficult to cure alcohol addiction? You say in this book that alcohol addiction is still very little taken care of today, only 15% of addictions are diagnosed, and among these diagnoses, only one in two people is treated...
It's not me who says it, it's the Belgian center of expertise, the KCE. He did a study on the subject. Why ? Simply because there is no political will. There is no Belgian alcohol plan. We've been crying for years. I have nightmares about that every night — I'm kidding — but it's really a crying lack. Maggie De Block, former Minister of Health, said: "People must be responsible with regard to their consumption". Again, it is a crass ignorance of the disease. We don't blame people. Responsibility must be placed on the product and on the producers as well. So we also have to regulate this consumption while teaching people how to use it.

But what does that mean? Does that mean increasing the price of a glass of alcohol or banning advertising for alcoholic beverages, for example? Do you find it consistent that you are penalized severely when you drive with alcohol in your blood and that, moreover, you find alcohol along the highways in gas pumps? This is a completely incoherent first thing. And the price of the unit of alcohol, that is to say 10 grams of pure alcohol, which represents a Pils, should be able to be increased, which would sometimes make bottles much more expensive.

Have we been drinking less alcohol since the arrival of Covid-19? Unfortunately, the statistics show not. We drink more alcohol, and above all it has broken something that was still a form of safeguard, of taboo, it is solitary consumption. Before, people mainly drank socially, but there, with the confinements, they started drinking at home since they could no longer drink elsewhere, no longer have a drink with colleagues, no longer have a drink with family, at restaurant. And so, we started drinking alone quite regularly, at home or as a couple, when we weren't drinking like that. So there are new habits that have appeared that are not necessarily good.

According to you, the problem is still quite widespread in Belgium and it is obviously not improving, there is an increase in consumption, as you point out. Should consultation committees related to alcohol be outright?
Codeco has caused so much ink to flow that I wouldn't really like it to deal with alcohol problems. But I sincerely think that politicians and parliamentarians must take their responsibilities in hand. Since we make the comparison with the Covid-19, alcohol is three million deaths each year in the world.

Do we all have problematic consumption, a problematic relationship with alcohol?
Our book, to Vincent and me, gives you the keys so that you can precisely know what your consumption is. Do you have a less risky use or, on the contrary, do you already have a risky use, without having consequences? Or on the contrary, do you have a harmful use, that is to say that there are already consequences? I came to alcoholism as a general practitioner. There are so many diseases that I encounter in my patients where alcohol is involved, such as simply hypertension. One in five high blood pressure is directly related to alcohol. And it's also about knowing how to help you think: “am I not moving towards a form of dependence?” That's what we wanted to give, keys to understanding.

A reasonable, non-problematic consumption is how many glasses per day or per week?
The Superior Health Council has given fairly clear indications. It's simple, it's two glasses a day maximum, five days a week, that's ten glasses, and two days a week when we don't drink.

It is soon the mineral tour, in the month of February, where we will call on people to try not to consume alcohol at all during the 28 or 29 days – it obviously depends on leap years. Is it a gadget or can it be used for something, this mineral tour?
I would say that it is precisely in the spirit of discovering a little what not consuming can bring. It also allows us to get out of our automatic pilot, out of our habits. Today, there are plenty of places where, when you arrive, you are served a drink and you are served a glass of alcohol as a matter of course. Sometimes there is not even water, not even orange juice. So the mineral tour is here to get you thinking. Be careful, if you have a heavy alcohol consumption, do not stop overnight. That can be dangerous.

It can be dangerous ?
Of course, we can have a withdrawal syndrome with tremors, an epileptic fit, so be careful.

Thomas Orban & Vincent Liévin, Alcohol, what you have never been told, Mardaga editions.

https://www.rtbf.be/article/lalcool-un- ... e-10917792

1 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/01/22, 17:49

0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 19/01/22, 19:25

Is it collaro? I vaguely remember!

What about COVID and alcohol? Do we have studies? : Mrgreen:
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 19/01/22, 19:34

Christophe wrote:Is it collaro? I vaguely remember!

What about COVID and alcohol? Do we have studies? : Mrgreen:

Everything is in the national archives of the XNUMXth century (valid anyway for the covid)... on paper. : Mrgreen:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 19/01/22, 19:39

excellent article except for a few details? We can replace the word alcohol by tobacco and it would give the same thing on consumption and addiction.
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré

Back to "Health and Prevention. Pollution, causes and effects of environmental risks "