Advances in the fight against the coronavirus

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Christophe

Re: Advances in the fight against the coronavirus

by Christophe » 10/07/22, 11:21

Another study...

https://www.science-et-vie.com/corps-et ... iDojqpT3A0

Covid: could the microbiota of the nose influence the infection?

Researchers have studied the role of the nasal microbiota in the development of covid in patients. It appears to play a role in contracting the disease, and in the severity of symptoms.
Could the nasopharyngeal microbiota explain why some do not seem to contract covid? Could it also play a role in the gravity of the developed form?

This is suggested by a study (not yet peer-reviewed) by researchers from the Department of Microbiology and Immunology at the University of British Columbia (Canada).

The human gut microbiota is known to confer immunity and protection against pathogens. But it could be that the nasal microbiota also influences whether or not you contract covid, and would also have an impact on the severity of symptoms.

Different bacteria in the nasal microbiota of uninfected people

To verify whether the composition of the microbiota of the nose was associated with an infection with SARS-CoV-2, the research team carried out the sequencing of 194 nasopharyngeal samples from PCR tests of people who had been tested for covid-19. . The samples were taken over a period spanning from March 2020 to January 2022. Among those tested, the researchers identified four groups. Those who were not infected with covid, those who were not infected but received hospitalization for another reason, those who contracted the disease without being hospitalized, and those who were infected and were hospitalized .

“Opportunistic” pathogens more abundant in people infected with covid

Results: The nasopharyngeal microbiota differed whether people had been infected or not, and according to the severity of symptoms. Thus, the most abundant bacteria in uninfected people was staphylococcus. (Even in patients not infected but hospitalized for other pathologies).

In people infected with covid, other bacteria were more abundant. Patients who were infected without requiring hospitalization had a higher presence of Moraxella bacteria in their nasal microbiota.

Finally, in patients hospitalized due to covid, bacteria from the Acinetobacter and Enterobacteriacae family were found more abundantly in their microbiota.

The researchers also noticed that the two groups of patients infected with covid (hospitalized or not) had a higher number of “opportunistic pathogens”. These are agents that are not very virulent but which can become pathogenic when the immune system is weakened by an infection. Hence their name “opportunists”.

These results are interesting and emphasize the importance of estimating more precisely the role of the nasopharyngeal microbiota in a covid-19 infection. It remains to be determined whether it is the abundance of some of these bacteria that facilitates an infection and/or more severe symptoms, or whether, conversely, it is the occurrence of an infection that leads to changes in the nasal microbiota. The study does not mention differences in the distribution of bacteria depending on the variant of the coronavirus contracted.

Note: this study was posted on the MedRxiv server in pre-print (not reviewed by peers). Further research will be needed to complete these results.

So should you eat your boogers or not? : Mrgreen:
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 11/07/22, 15:53

it reminds us of the folly of operating on the tonsils favoring the descent of viruses to the lungs.
Previously frequently performed in children, tonsillectomy is now much less so. In 2010, 35 tonsil operations were performed on children under 000, compared to 18 in 68. May 000, 2002.13
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 12/07/22, 23:07

I'm laughing!

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/07/22, 21:09

Uh there are other viruses that use carbon nanotubes : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

COVID: SARS-CoV-2 reaches the brain via nanotubes

Since the appearance of SARS-CoV-2, several patients have reported more or less serious and more or less lasting neurological symptoms. These symptoms can be very disabling on a daily basis, especially in the event of long COVID. How this virus gains access to the brain is unclear. A new study highlights a previously unknown propagation mechanism: the virus would induce the formation of nanotubes to spread from the nose to neuronal cells.

SARS-CoV-2 mainly targets the airways, but in some cases it also affects other organs, such as the intestine, liver, kidneys, heart and brain. How the virus gains access to the brain and causes neurological symptoms is unclear because the virus' main "gateway" — the angiotensin-converting enzyme 2 (ACE2) receptor — is at barely detectable in brain cells (unlike nasal and lung cells).

Understanding how SARS-CoV-2 enters neuronal cells is key to understanding (and treating) the neurological manifestations associated with COVID-19. Chiara Zurzolo, research director at the Institut Pasteur, and her team have discovered that the COVID-19 virus takes a completely different route to enter cells lacking the ACE2 receptor: it takes advantage of an intercellular communication pathway called “tunneling nanotubes” (TNT) or “tunnel effect nanotubes”.

(...)

https://trustmyscience.com/virus-sars-c ... nanotubes/
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/07/22, 00:17

That doesn't answer the question I've been asking myself for months, can we be:
contaminated without symptoms (except minors: no fever, a little woozy for a week, slight difficulty in breathing, but no other signs of flu) and then have sequelae that resemble the effects of covid (long?): pasty mouth with slight loss of taste, slight headaches,”

But there might be other clues. I know of several cases like this. Never seen a pseudo flu-like state without fever!
One of the difficulties in unraveling the mystery is that not everyone reacts the same to this virus (to say the least!)

Nobody talks about it?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 22/07/22, 08:24

obamot
One of the difficulties in unraveling the mystery is that not everyone reacts the same to this virus (to say the least!)
each individual is unique and no supposedly universal means (like vaccines) can respond to each individual case!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
jean.caissepas
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by jean.caissepas » 22/07/22, 09:14

Obamot wrote:That doesn't answer the question I've been asking myself for months, can we be:
contaminated without symptoms (except minors: no fever, a little woozy for a week, slight difficulty in breathing, but no other signs of flu) and then have sequelae that resemble the effects of covid (long?): pasty mouth with slight loss of taste, slight headaches,”

But there might be other clues. I know of several cases like this. Never seen a pseudo flu-like state without fever!

Nobody talks about it?

Having had Omicron at the end of December 2021 a bit like you are wondering, here is my answer:
- 4 days of bad cold (a real plaster in the nose impossible to get rid of), without fever, without loss of taste
- very slight aches, very slight chills and very slight headaches
- a self-test which does not really change (2nd bar very very slightly pink)
- very little fatigue (I continued to telecommute without stopping work)
- No doctor's consultation (for a cold...)

My partner just had it last weekend and it's not the same symptoms:
- Good aches
- Very cold and severe sore throat with coughing up mucus (symptoms of nasopharyngitis)
- Tiredness
- A little fever (37.6) at home, but not at the doctor's
- 10 days off work given by the 1st doctor who gave Doliprane and a nasal spray :x
- In video, call from another doctor who gave the right medication
- She resumed fishing in 1 to 2 days (she became boring again : Mrgreen: ), despite the cold that still persists

People react differently and the variants do not have the same symptoms...
0 x
Past habits must change,
because the future must not die.
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/07/22, 09:36

Christophe wrote:Uh there are other viruses that use carbon nanotubes : Shock: : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:
Yes HIV and influenza among others, it is written in the article which you quoted.
In many cases, COVID-19 causes neurological symptoms, such as loss of taste or smell, or cognitive disorders (memory loss, difficulty concentrating) both during the acute phase of the disease and on the long term with the so-called long COVID syndrome. But the way in which the infection reaches the brain remained poorly understood until now. Researchers from the Institut Pasteur and CNRS laboratories have shown, using state-of-the-art electron microscopy approaches, that SARS-CoV-2 hijacks nanotubes, i.e. bridges connecting cells infected and neurons. Thus, the virus manages to penetrate the neurons which are nevertheless devoid of the ACE2 receptor to which the virus usually binds to infect the cells. This study was published July 20 in Science Advances.
An interesting step forward https://www.cnrs.fr/fr/le-sars-cov-2-de ... s-infecter
https://www.science.org/doi/10.1126/sciadv.abo0171
1 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 22/07/22, 09:42

IZY: Without wanting to be categorical, we should not confuse the “opportunistic” aspects (when the virus enters easily, HIV, covid, etc.) which give consequences other than a systemic shock (when the virus is already at work and disrupts the metabolism in a more impactful way), hence the need for early treatment and to clarify the differences in symptomatology (you can tell us 2 words about it instead of your copied / pasted : Mrgreen: ), among other things because the immune response does not produce the same results in everyone as JeanCaissePas says (well it's just an idea to say that it seems that you never take into account the knowledge that we have alreadym)

jean.caissepas wrote:
Obamot wrote:That doesn't answer the question I've been asking myself for months, can we be:

Nobody talks about it?

Having had Omicron at the end of December 2021 a bit like you are wondering, here is my answer:
- 4 days of bad cold (a real plaster in the nose impossible to get rid of), without fever, without loss of taste
- very slight aches, very slight chills and very slight headaches
- a self-test which does not really change (2nd bar very very slightly pink)
- very little fatigue (I continued to telecommute without stopping work)
- No doctor's consultation (for a cold...)

My partner just had it last weekend and it's not the same symptoms:
- Good aches
- Very cold and severe sore throat with coughing up mucus (symptoms of nasopharyngitis)
- Tiredness
- A little fever (37.6) at home, but not at the doctor's
- 10 days off work given by the 1st doctor who gave Doliprane and a nasal spray :x
- In video, call from another doctor who gave the right medication
- She resumed fishing in 1 to 2 days (she became boring again : Mrgreen: ), despite the cold that still persists

People react differently and the variants do not have the same symptoms...
All this is very “interesting”, that's also what I tell myself, what a weird illness!
Hence also the importance of an oximeter to measure the oxygen level in the blood.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/07/22, 22:20

China has approved HIV treatment to cure Covid-19

0 x