Marseille soap: Olive oil or palm oil?

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Marseille soap: Olive oil or palm oil?

by 1360 » 09/07/16, 19:08

Hello all,

The question is in the title, I recently bought Marseille soaps at a Swiss site of environmentally friendly products. I had the choice between a soap with 72% olive oil, and another with 72% palm oil. I took those with palm oil.

The product is excellent, it is a pleasure to shower with it (much better than a shower gel), but I suddenly wondered whether the palm oil used in this soap is also "bad and nasty. "than that which is so much maligned in food.

For the olive oil soap, the composition is as follows:

Ingredients

Sodium Olivate, Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate Gold Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide.

72% olive oil.

And for the one with palm oil, this is this:

Ingredients

Sodium Palmate, Aqua, Sodium Palm Kernelate Gold Sodium Cocoate, Glycerin, Sodium Chloride, Sodium Hydroxide, Cl 77891.

72% palm oil.

Do you have any opinion on these two soaps? Is there one that is ethically better than the other?

Thank you in advance to those who will take some of their time to enlighten me on this existential question ...

A+
0 x
Trying too hard to get into the mold, it ends up looking like a pie.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Soap of Marseille: Olive oil or palm oil?

by Obamot » 09/07/16, 20:45

The real soap of Marseille, is not this soap millennium Aleppo? >>>

I don't know if palm oil is bad in soap - but it is surely hydrogenated in the presence of zinc vapor or the like - because otherwise pure palm oil is very fragrant has a strong orange coloring and does not would not be suitable for a soap as it is (morality, if your soap is not orange with a characteristic "long nostril" smell I still doubt that it is so respectful of the environment ... but I do not know their saponification process). But for a soap (at least to use up your stock) that shouldn't be a problem, because in my opinion there is no chance that the TRANS fatty acids it contains will not pass into your food bolus. .. So no worries. As for the zinc, it is there in trace amounts and should not be dangerous.

By cons I can say why the Aleppo soap would be a better choice (future?) That the soap Marseille if you're interested?

► View Text

PS: I still note that there is "sodium palmate" in the two soaps, is that it?
What would then mean, if so, that in both there would be palm oil?
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 09/07/16, 21:45

Hello,

From what I found on the net, real Marseille soap will no longer exist, at least at the industrial production stage. The name "Marseille soap" not being protected, anyone can make it anywhere while calling it "Marseille soap". Sad.

There would be 4 big producers of Marseille soap in Marseille, but none of them respects the original recipe, which clearly states that there must be 72% olive oil, and only olive oil. For a long time, they have added palm oil and coconut oil (for its foaming side).

In short, perhaps there are still some artisans who respect the original recipe, but it's hard to find them on the net.

A+

PS: I never said that Marseille was in Switzerland ?!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 09/07/16, 23:27

► View Text

you can not find original Marseille soap, but real Aleppo soap yes.

it is necessary to take the one with a certain percentage of laurel, because this compensates for the natural and acidic layer which protects the epidermis, and moreover, it is recognized by him as similar to the original layer, so that it is the one of the only soaps in the world which does not cause "stress" on the epidermis. Under its rustic appearance, it is therefore a must. Question respect for the skin, I doubt he has "better"
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 07:40

Indeed, the real Aleppo soap is easy to find and is very good for the skin thanks to its laurel oil, added at the end of cooking. Note that in Aleppo soap, there is only olive oil and laurel.

After having searched the net a little more, it appears that Marseille soap should not necessarily contain only olive oil, but also palm or coconut oil. On the other hand, there must always be 72% oil, and if it is composed of a mixture of two or three of these oils, it must no longer be called "72% olive oil", but "72% vegetable oil".

Animal oils are strictly prohibited in "real" Marseille soap.

A small interesting explanation here

In short, it seems that the Marseille soap that I offered me is not so wrong ...

A+
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/07/16, 11:12

And since the war in Syria, the Aleppo soap is rarely Aleppo, seriously bombed!

The appellation is not more protected ...
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 12:36

Hi Did,

I made the same remark. Only the site on which I ordered my products announces that the soap of Aleppo (the true one) is no longer deliverable. Elsewhere on the net have found Aleppo soap without concern, but the provenance is not indicated.

I think that if Aleppo soap factories still exist, their production capacity must be greatly reduced ...

A+
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 14:05

It was 2005,

I had contacted someone whose family member was there, here is a copy of the message for those interested:

Hello sir,

I'm sorry I did not recognize you but I sent a copy of
your comment to my future brother-in-law who is in Syria and who is
import of Syrian products into France, if you are interested, you
can contact him directly in Syria ...
Hoping to satisfy you, please accept my greetings
respectful,

AL
214, Bd Saint Germain
75007 Paris

The other day I almost contacted him but I did not dare to see what happened.
I was afraid it would be considered indecent to ask such questions.

Since I (re) found their site redirected here:
http://www.tade.fr/start.htm

The old site (dead link, we fall at his provider): http://www.alepsoap.com

I do not know if it is still made in the vicinity of Aleppo (people have to live well in spite of the war ...), but anyway it can inform about the situation there, and it continues to to sell since the site is online (I presume) and also, if it were to manufacture elsewhere, it would surely be one of the most respectful of the original recipes (there were indeed several soaps of Aleppo in 3'000 years old And the guy has a cultural and ethical approach that I like : Lol: )

"Ethical enterprise"

- participates in sustainable development, respecting the ecological, economic and social environment of the actors.

- committed to fair trade, [...] refuses all forms of slavery, exploitation of children and ensures that local producers receive fair remuneration for their work.

- in direct contact with craftsmen, [...] favors traditional know-how and the use of 100% natural raw materials for quality products.

- all the soaps and cosmetics are guaranteed without preservatives, without silicone, without emulsifier, without surfactant, without LAURETH SULPHATE, without PEG, without PARABEN, without perfume, without acid, without any derivative of synthesis.

- 100% ecological, they respect your skin and your earth: they are tested under dermatological control and are presented in a minimum packaging and recyclable. No tests are performed on animals.

- Pain d'Alep, with olive oil and bay leaf, ancestor of genuine Marseille soap, seduced by the art of oriental bathing [...] 100% natural and plant-based cosmetic line.

Strongly that this monstrosity of war is over.

PS: if you want the coordinates on Paris, I give them by MP.
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 15:01

Thank you for your link, Obamot, but it does not help, we can not order anything and there is no clear information on the origin of the products.

Looking a little, there are online sales sites in which we find these products Tadé, but there is no mention that these soaps always come from Aleppo ...

Not easy.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/07/16, 15:44

A few weeks ago, there was a report on Aleppo (France2). A factory is still functioning well, in the general chaos. But it showed that other producers had emigrated and were producing "Aleppo Soap" elsewhere, I don't remember where.

The problem is not so much where it comes from (as for Marseille soap for that matter). But how and with what is it made!
0 x

Back to "Health and Prevention. Pollution, causes and effects of environmental risks "