Marseille soap: Olive oil or palm oil?

How to stay healthy and prevent risks and consequences on your health and public health. occupational disease, industrial risks (asbestos, air pollution, electromagnetic waves ...), company risk (workplace stress, overuse of drugs ...) and individual (tobacco, alcohol ...).
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

Re: Soap of Marseille: Olive oil or palm oil?

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 16:15

Did67 wrote:The problem is not so much where it comes from (as for Marseille soap for that matter). But how and with what is it made!

It is correct, and it is also surprising to see that, in general, Aleppo soap, wherever it comes from, very often conforms to the original recipe: Olive oil and bay oil with the latter varying from 5 to 35% (the rest being olive oil).

For Marseille soap, the original recipe speaks of 72% olive oil, but as we have seen, even the last 3 Marseille soap masters say that for more than 150 years palm and coconut oil has been used in the making of these soaps, in varying proportions.

On the other hand, what should be avoided is Marseille soaps with perfumes and animal oil, as well as those which are "over-greased". It is forbidden by the original recipe.

Frankly, I didn't think that buying a "beast" soap would lead me to several hours of reading on the net to learn a little more about the subject ...

A+
0 x
Trying too hard to get into the mold, it ends up looking like a pie.
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 16:40

I do not see what is complicated?

You go under: => contact and you have the email address and the phone.
And there is a contact form. I had been delivered outside of France.

The quality of an Aleppo soap is determined by the duration of drying. The better it has been dried (which means correctly and for a long time, almost a year in storage towers through which air circulates permanently), the longer it will last. Nowadays we can no longer cheat on the ingredients with all the laboratory tests that can analyze the composition, such as spectrography or other gas chromatography. Better to be better to cheat : Cheesy:

I had used Aleppo pseudo soap, which was too green to be honest (I did not know what the selective criteria were at the time) and it did not last very long!

For the composition of the soaps, go under: => Hammam => Soap
And there you have the whole series! (On the soap itself it is written "plain olive", but the percentages are not entered.)

It is clear that the composition remains "unchanged since antiquity ". So yes, it's olive oil!
On the other hand the presentation / packaging has changed. I doubt that it is done in Aleppo and to find them for export, I do not think they can yet claim to satisfy "a world demand". Already 10 years ago, they were not easy to find.

So I understand the conjectures, I am also expectant, after seeing the photos, alas ...!
But the only way to find out is to contact them.

Another way is to dry the soaps that you will use after a long year (out of the package.)
Last edited by Obamot the 10 / 07 / 16, 16: 47, 1 edited once.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/07/16, 16:45

Obamot wrote:
Nowadays we can no longer cheat on the ingredients with all the laboratory tests that can analyze the composition, such as spectrography or other gas chromatography. Better to be better to cheat : Cheesy:

Yes, well let's stay realistic: you buy on the internet, suppose you have it analyzed, are you going to sue the manufacturer in Aleppo ???

I think you will find that you have been had and it will stop there!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 16:50

Sorry, but this is a serious house that is over ten years old.
After that we can doubt everything. It is true that on the web there is food and drink.
But in general it is going well. I don't have too much of a problem ... There are quotes for sellers, it works quite well.

That's it, I found the page with the compositions:

http://www.tade.fr/pain-d-alep.htm

As I understand it, they do more than:
- BREAD OF ALEP LAURIER 15%

If you want laurel (and that's good since it's the best choice.)
The stock limitation may be explained (surely?) Because of the war.
What makes scarcity a clue? (It's truly sad.)

After each experience, but I was delivered several times without problem.
Last edited by Obamot the 10 / 07 / 16, 17: 09, 1 edited once.
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 17:02

Obamot wrote:Sorry, but this is a serious house that is over ten years old.

I don't think anyone said otherwise ...

I sent them an email to ask where the soaps come from, we will see the answer and, depending on the latter, an order will follow.

Going back to Marseille soaps, I ordered olive oil, on the same site than for my previous palm oil. I will see the difference ...

A+
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 10/07/16, 17:06

After that we can doubt everything.

We are then in confidence.

Not in the fight against fraud, controls, analyzes, etc.

My answer only concerned the argument that it was difficult to cheat. What I do not think about sales on the internet and Syria (like other origins elsewhere; will sue a Chinese manufacturer of fake drugs!). My opinion is not aimed at this particular house, which I do not know!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 17:25

According to the photos, these are no longer real Aleppo soaps.
In Aleppo there is a souk dedicated to soaps (it must always exist as long as Aleppo has been released, it will take a few years to rebuild sufficient stock, I suppose ....)

1360 wrote:

I don't think anyone said otherwise ...

I sent them an email to ask where the soaps come from, we will see the answer and, depending on the latter, an order will follow.

Going back to Marseille soaps, I ordered olive oil, on the same site than for my previous palm oil. I will see the difference ...

A+

You also need to have flair.
True Aleppo soaps have a cold saponification.
If they are roughly similar to manufacturing, they deform and become very irregular on drying ... So much so that not a single soap looks like another (already the seal of the master soap maker is clean and applied to the main.) It is very different from industrially made soaps where all are identical. You also need a little flair to choose ...

If I were to buy an Aleppo soap today (unless they deny and give guarantees) I would not take it at my link address, for the above reasons.

The more ugly and dusty an Aleppo soap, the more expensive it will be and the better. They sell the soaps there like old vintages. They often reach ten years of age!

You must avoid those who sell you Aleppo soap "too pretty" in the photos.

So no, I don't particularly recommend anyone these days. If Tadé says that they don't have Aleppo soap at the moment, but that they offer alternatives, that will prove their seriousness. Because the photos don't say anything else. (And IMHO)

A few tips in passing to check:
- a real Aleppo soap should not be oily to the touch.
- a real Aleppo soap not too expensive (not first pressure oil, but that's okay) floats on the surface of the bath, that's a good sign.
- its exterior color should be golden brown (if cut in half, the middle should be a deep dark green.)
- if you see in the composition something other than olive oil and bay leaf (except ashes and clays) but chemical things, it is not true. For example if you read "sodium tallowate" (tallow) or "sodium lardate" (pork) is not, they are animal fats!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 18:19

This is what a real Aleppo soap of ten years of age looks like (not purchased from Tadé)

Approx. 76% olive (Olea europaea) and 20% laurel.

image.jpeg

The seal of the master soap maker:

image.jpeg

image 1 ALEPPO.jpeg
image 1 ALEP.jpeg (178.53 KB) Consulted 3248 times

ALEP image 02.jpeg
image ALEP 02.jpeg (65.36 KiB) Consulted 3248 times

ALEP image 03.jpeg
image ALEP 03.jpeg (73.14 KiB) Consulted 3248 times

image.jpeg

On the penultimate photo (retouched), we can see how much it has lost in volume in ten years!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 10/07/16, 18:55

No need to ask, the war is not over in Aleppo: : Cry:
http://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/2016/ ... a-alep.php

<on econology either!
0 x
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by 1360 » 10/07/16, 21:23

I saw that there were Aleppo soaps, completely bogus and stuffed with filth, which were molded irregularly to make it more true than true.

Ridiculous.
0 x

Back to "Health and Prevention. Pollution, causes and effects of environmental risks "