There is hope ... the message begins to break.

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

There is hope ... the message begins to break.

by Targol » 10/09/06, 21:18

I spoke last night with a friend that I adore but that I would describe as "thoroughly in the system": Couple Senior executive every 2, a child, an immoderate love for cars and especially the most powerful. Go full blast with his WV Tuareg V10 with speed camera indicator connected ...

In short, a guy I thought totally a thousand places in econology.

Well, I was wrong. Appearances can be deceiving.

In talking with him, it turns out that not only is he sensitive to the concepts conveyed by this site, but that in addition, he is looking for ways out.

He said to me "I saw that my car was one of the most polluting on the market, and I must admit that I am a little ashamed of it".
Of course, he still has this car, but for his professional trips, he uses his scooter more and more.

You will say to me, it is for financial reasons, it is that slab !!!

I would answer you that the deeper we are "embedded" in the system (basically, the more money and consumerist habits we have), the more difficult it is not only to extricate ourselves from it but especially to see the inconsistencies.
I'm going to be the devil's advocate, but an RMIste who lives in a rotten city in the middle of the highway ramps and who just has enough to buy his dose of mad cow and transgenic corn to eat much less merit in moderating the system and its frantic consumption than someone who can afford to take advantage of this system.

To sum up with an image, the guy who lives in the dumpster is more likely to criticize than the one who fills it.

Well there, we have a guy who is frankly more on the side of the fillers and who is thinking about solutions to "dump everything" on his own terms.

In fact, the only minor point of disagreement we had was that he thought that the solutions had to come from the political and that on my side, I think that the politicians will never have the courage to implement the measures. which are essential if they do not feel that the "people" are ready for that and that, therefore, the ideas must first be diffused by word of mouth at the level of individuals.
Without forgetting the value of the example ... and of sites like Econologie. 8)

To conclude, I would say that if this kind of idea starts to reach these levels of society then, it is because the reason is in the process of "corrupting" this crazy system much more deeply than I imagined it. ..

It remains to be seen whether its spread will be fast enough to save the planet.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

Re: There is hope ... the message is starting to break through.

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 21:21

Targol wrote:Without forgetting the value of the example ... and of sites like Econologie. 8)

You say that because you've been modo for a long time ... come on confess :)

Targol wrote:It remains to be seen whether its spread will be fast enough to save the planet.

Save the planet probably ... she saw others ... and much worse than what awaits us ...

Save our lifestyles (and ultimately humanity) ... the answer is necessarily more negationist ...
0 x
Former Oceano

by Former Oceano » 10/09/06, 21:25

Solutions and pressures must come from the people. When our voices become louder than those of lobbyists with regard to the elections, by so-called 'useless' votes to the big parties, but carrying legitimate refusals, they may feel compelled to listen to us.

I use with pleasure the image of the prophets who shout their message in the desert. Sooner or later the message is heard and relayed. So let's talk about ecology, let's talk about pollution, let's talk about behavior change, let's talk !!! There will always be something left and we will make our friends and fellow citizens reflect (increasingly rare) on their way of life.
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: There is hope ... the message is starting to break through.

by Targol » 10/09/06, 21:44

Christophe wrote:
Targol wrote:Without forgetting the value of the example ... and of sites like Econologie. 8)

You say that because you've been modo for a long time ... come on confess :)

To give you a more serious answer than your question (I know, it's unusual on my part :D ), if I proposed to you to become modo, it is precisely because I believed in the educational virtues and in the value of example of this site.

Christophe wrote:
Targol wrote:It remains to be seen whether its spread will be fast enough to save the planet.

Save the planet probably ... she saw others ... and much worse than what awaits us ...

Save our lifestyles (and ultimately humanity) ... the answer is necessarily more negationist ...

Personally, I think that we will not be able and besides, I do not wish that one saves a lifestyle based on the systematic creation of new needs in order to justify the new lootings and the new millions on bank accounts already so full that it could not be emptied in 10 generations.
0 x
"Anyone who believes that exponential growth can continue indefinitely in a finite world is a fool, or an economist." KEBoulding
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/09/06, 21:47

Well I would do more humor on Sunday evening with you Targol ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/09/06, 21:47

former oceanic wrote:I use with pleasure the image of the prophets who shout their message in the desert. Sooner or later the message is heard and relayed.

Let’s cry, let’s cry, especially that, as I said in the initial post on this subject, the desert is beginning to populate itself more and more :D :D :D
0 x
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 10/09/06, 21:48

Christophe wrote:Well I would do more humor on Sunday evening with you Targol ... : Mrgreen:

Sorry, I slept 3 hours last night ....
But I beg you, continue the humor.
0 x
mimi
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by mimi » 11/09/06, 08:21

I am 21 years old and I support 200% the ideas of this site. I propagate the address as much as possible.

It will be necessary to make a printable leaflet section. I have a little money and I think that depositing a few dozen leaflets in my university residence could be useful.

But don't we run the risk of creating a new multinational if this develops too much ???
If it works too well we would become a new political force since consumption is a political act in our current society
0 x
If your sorrow is great and your labor is hard, know that the big oak has also been an acorn like you
Targol
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Targol » 11/09/06, 09:56

Hi there, Mimil and welcome to these forums.
Mimil wrote:It will be necessary to make a printable leaflet section. I have a little money and I think that depositing a few dozen leaflets in my university residence could be useful.

You have another solution, sport one of the magnificent T-Shirts sold in the shop, you will see, it intrigues and people question you : Wink: I tried at work, it works.

Mimil wrote:But don't we run the risk of creating a new multinational if this develops too much ???

A multinational is based on principles lucrative. This is - at least for now - not at all the principle of econology. Christophe, despite the meager income from the shop and the pub, is in his pocket to run this site. If he earns money, it would be me that he gets a smic but he can tell you that better than me.
What is certain, however, is that the richness of this site comes, among other things, from its contributors. Contributors who will flee the site as soon as they start to feel a mercantile drift (in any case, it will be my case).
In short, I think that your worries are all the more unfounded that between a forum of 2800 registered members and a multinational, the margin is large.

Mimil wrote:If it works too well we would become a new political force since consumption is a political act in our current society

Again, Econologie does not sell much (a few products in the store just to reimburse the rental of the domain name and servers and purchases are often voluntary acts of support - much like the quest in a church). Its main wealth is more in ideas and these are distributed free of charge.
Now, if some politicians want to come here to get some ideas for their program, it can only be positive, right?
0 x
abyssin3
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by abyssin3 » 12/09/06, 00:59

He said to me "I saw that my car was one of the most polluting on the market, and I must admit that I am a little ashamed of it".
Certainly he still has this car
= typical

: Arrow: Targol
You know, I've seen a lot of people say to me "I'm a little ashamed", "I should" take action too ", and when I tell them that I ride on HBV, they think that awesome, and tell me "it's really good what you're doing", "we 'should' be more to do that", "they 'should' the public authorities do something".
In short, of all those I have seen say that to me, none has ever taken action after many years. The kind of thinking you end up having in the long run is at best "yes, but if there is no financial savings, it's not worth it", or at worst we give you a pat on the shoulder and we say to you "it is well what you do, continue, and good luck" (but understood, remain alone to act)
If we were in hell, I would say that everyone is full of good intentions. And in my opinion, we are really an extreme minority to be concerned really of all that. Rare are those who are really ready to take the plunge.
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"