Degrowth by Timothée Parrique

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Degrowth by Timothée Parrique

by Janic » 12/07/21, 19:27

exnull
We know what the ecologists want to decrease: everything except vegetation and animals. These neo-Malthusians want to decrease the human.
who is the ON who knows so well? YOU, obviously like the other BOZO! BOZO bis
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 12/07/21, 19:33

Exnihiloest wrote:We know what the ecologists want to decrease: everything except vegetation and animals. These neo-Malthusians want to decrease the human.

My poor Exnihiloest.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 12/07/21, 20:10

... decrease homo economicus!
I do not always share the positions ofAurélien Barreau, but no complaints about this excerpt.
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 12/07/21, 20:46

Exnihiloest wrote:These neo-Malthusians want to decrease the human.

No, these are the provax! : Cheesy:
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 13/07/21, 12:26

Exnihiloest wrote:... And if hardly anyone sets an example by sabotaging their own standard of living, it is obviously because everyone prefers to keep their advantages, because the advantages of growth, there are plenty ...

You are perfectly right! The "standard of living" benefits have the same effect as a drug. We can no longer do without it, and we hide the negative externalities ... Such as the destruction of the conditions necessary for the life of animals, of which we are a part.

Growth, we can see it from different angles, population growth, growth in energy consumption, or growth in gdp ...
The first two are concrete, a person or a kWh is the same everywhere, and those who are numerous are those who consume the least per person!
The gdp is more abstract, to enjoy the comfort, it is necessary that others, many, work for the equivalent of 1 euro per day, to provide the material necessary for this "standard of living", with the hope enjoy it too ...
It is logical that it is "well paid teachers" who talk about degrowth, it is not the employees of a titanium mine in Africa, for example, who will worry about that.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/07/21, 09:29

Your comparison with a drug is quite relevant *, Dede. There are indeed the same successive effects that manifest themselves: a feeling of better being fast but of short duration, an addiction which leads to increasing the doses and to a situation of dependence (which hinders the correct perception of reality). However, these addictions lead in the medium or long term to extremely harmful consequences and to a general dysfunction of the metabolism (and therefore to great discomfort!).
From this point of view, the decrease as desired T. Parrique appears as a simple desire to reduce the doses to a degree deemed compatible with continuing to take the drug, in no way to give it up. It is for this reason that he and his ilk are the subject of articles in the biggest newspapers and can express themselves widely: not that they represent the official doxa, but because they constitute a harmless "opposition". , easy to counterattack. In addition, it directs potential disappointments with the system towards a completely ineffective type of criticism ...

* It would be even more productive, conceptually speaking, to use the metaphor of parasitism ...
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 14/07/21, 10:01

Ahmed wrote:... decrease homo economicus!
I do not always share the positions ofAurélien Barreau, but no complaints about this excerpt.

he nevertheless applied for a post of professor, and his progression in grade (1st class, exceptional class), which does not change much in his work as a research professor, apart from increasing his salary.

So he's not against growing his own income ... : roll:
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 14/07/21, 10:05

One can appreciate the literature produced by Céline without subscribing to his anti-Semitic delusions ...
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 14/07/21, 10:10

Ahmed wrote:Your comparison with a drug is quite relevant *, Dede. There are indeed the same successive effects that manifest themselves: a feeling of better being fast but of short duration, an addiction which leads to increasing the doses and to a situation of dependence (which hinders the correct perception of reality). However, these addictions lead in the medium or long term to extremely harmful consequences and to a general dysfunction of the metabolism (and therefore to great discomfort!).
From this point of view, the decrease as desired T. Parrique appears as a simple desire to reduce the doses to a degree deemed compatible with continuing to take the drug, in no way to give it up. It is for this reason that he and his ilk are the subject of articles in the biggest newspapers and can express themselves widely: not that they represent the official doxa, but because they constitute a harmless "opposition". , easy to counterattack. In addition, it directs potential disappointments with the system towards a completely ineffective type of criticism ...

* It would be even more productive, conceptually speaking, to use the metaphor of parasitism ...

I ask myself the question of the choice between an irreproachable ideal but unattainable given where we start,
or the choice of a disappointing but pragmatically more or less effective compromise.
In other words, rather than an ideal decrease, the choice of a pseudo-decrease rather than nothing?
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 14/07/21, 10:33

I ask myself the question of the choice between an irreproachable ideal but unattainable given where we start,
or the choice of a disappointing but pragmatically more or less effective compromise.
In other words, rather than an ideal decrease, the choice of a pseudo-decrease rather than nothing?
we can therefore compare this to detoxification of any drug; either brutal or progressive and not all can stop suddenly without side effects that can be worse than addiction.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré