The ultimate crisis video conference P.Larrouturou

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
Christophe

The ultimate crisis video conference P.Larrouturou

by Christophe » 05/01/12, 17:25

Resumption of this message: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post220910.html#220910

Very good conference on the current "problem": https://www.econologie.com/conference-de ... -4394.html ou http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxaHidNSNXk A must see!

To avoid the ultimate crash, a lecture by Pierre Larrouturou, 23 / 11 / 11

(It lasts 2h but it's worth it ... it will avoid listening and especially believe other nonsense ...)

The powerpoint of the conference is downloadable here: http://www.videobaz.be/2011/12/pour-evi ... rrouturou/ or directly here in .pdf: .pdf of the Larrouturou conference https://www.econologie.info/share/partag ... U9fLHb.pdf

Beginning of debate from: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post220910.html#220910

If there was only one curve to remember it would be:

Related topics (among others): https://www.econologie.com/forums/article-10 ... t6156.html et https://www.econologie.com/forums/dette-publ ... t9654.html

See also the conference found by dedé and maloche: https://www.econologie.com/forums/post220921.html#220921 ou https://www.econologie.com/forums/post220660.html#220660

Direct link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLjq25_ayWM

(duration: 2h30 record beaten! :D)
Last edited by Christophe the 13 / 01 / 12, 21: 28, 1 edited once.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 07/01/12, 13:58

I heard his interview on RTBF "the first" the other morning. He has some interesting ideas, I was planning to buy his book.

He really thinks the opposite of the manipulative policies that govern us.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 07/01/12, 14:26

As the subject is refocused here, I copy and paste:

Well, I watched everything even if I dozed a little in the middle ...:? I am more text than video.

There are good analyzes, for example on the relationship between productivity and employment (there, I was really awake!).

The idea of ​​sharing work pleases me very well on a human level, too bad he insists on job creation: it's still a nasty craze to want to stuff everyone at work!
It spoils the idea of ​​reducing working time a little ...

I noted that he had answered frankly aside with regard to the last question, which was really relevant: he was asked how the application of these good ideas would bring a solution to the ecological crisis ...

He does not seem to understand clearly the link between higher productivity and lower value creation, and between the latter and the transfer to the financial sector ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 09/01/12, 15:30

Evening article about P. Larrouturou

http://www.lesoir.be/debats/cartes_blan ... 889023.php

Do states have to pay 600 times more than banks?

Michel Rocard, former French Prime Minister and Pierre Larrouturou, economist, author of "To avoid the ultimate crash" (preface by Stéphane Hessel).

These are incredible numbers. A US judge recently ruled in favor of Bloomberg journalists who asked their central bank to be completely transparent about the aid it had given for three years to the banking system.

After having peeled 20.000 pages of various documents, Bloomberg shows that the Federal Reserve has secretly lent to troubled banks the gigantic sum of 1.200 billion at the incredibly low rate of 0,01%.

At the same time, in many countries, people are suffering from austerity plans imposed by governments to which the financial markets no longer accept to lend a few billion at interest rates below 6, 7 or 9%! Asphyxiated by such interest rates, governments are "forced" to freeze pensions, family allowances or government salaries and cut investment, which increases unemployment and will soon plunge us into a recession. 'extreme gravity.

Is it normal that, in the event of a crisis, private banks, which are usually financed at 1% from central banks, can benefit from rates at 0,01% but that, in the event of a crisis, certain States are on the contrary obliged to pay rates 600 or 800 times higher?

"Being ruled by organized money is as dangerous as being organized crime," said Roosevelt. He was right. We are in the midst of a crisis of deregulated capitalism which can be suicidal for our civilization. As Edgar Morin and Stéphane Hessel write in their latest book, our societies must choose: metamorphosis or death?

Shall we wait until it is too late to open our eyes? Are we going to wait until it is too late to understand the gravity of the crisis and choose metamorphosis together before our societies break up? We do not have the opportunity here to develop the 10 or 15 concrete reforms that would make this metamorphosis possible. We only want to show that it is possible to prove Paul Krugman wrong when he explains that Europe is locked in a “death spiral”.

How to give oxygen to our public finances immediately? How to act without modifying the Treaties, which will require months of work and will soon become strictly impossible if Europe is more and more hated by the people?

Angela Merkel is right to say that nothing should encourage governments to continue the headlong rush. But the main part of the sums that our States borrow on the financial markets concerns old debts. In 2012, France must borrow some 400 billion: 100 billion which corresponds to the budget deficit (which would be almost zero if we canceled most of the tax cuts granted for ten years) and 300 billion which correspond to old debts. , which are due and which we are unable to repay if we have not re-indebted for the same amounts a few hours before repaying them.

The past is the past. Charging colossal interest rates for debts accumulated 5 or 10 years ago does not at all contribute to making governments responsible, but only to suffocate our savings for the sole benefit of a few private banks: on the pretext that there is a risk, they lend at very very high rates, while knowing that there is undoubtedly no real risk since the European Security Fund is there to guarantee the solvency of the borrowing States…

We must do away with the “double standard, two measures”: drawing inspiration from what the American Central Bank did to save the financial system, we propose that the “old debt” of our States can be refinanced at rates close to 2%.

There is no need to modify the European Treaties to implement this idea: of course, the Central Bank is not authorized to lend to member states but it can lend without limit to public credit organizations (Article 21.3 of the Staff Regulations). European system of central banks) and to international organizations (Article 23 of the same statute). It can therefore lend at 0,01% to the European Investment Bank or the Caisse des Dépôts which, for their part, can lend at 0,02% to States which are in debt to repay their old debts.

Nothing prevents to set up such financing from next month! It is not said enough: Italy's budget has a primary surplus. It would therefore be in equilibrium if Italy did not have to pay increasing financial costs. Should Italy be allowed to sink into recession and the political crisis or should we agree to end the rents of private banks? The answer should be obvious to those who work for the common good.

The fundamental role which the Treaties give to the Central Bank is to ensure price stability. How can it remain without reacting when certain countries see the price of their treasury bills double or triple in a few months? The Central Bank must also ensure the stability of our economies. How can it remain without acting when the price of debt threatens to make us all fall into a recession "more serious than that of 1930", according to the Governor of the Bank of England?

If we stick to the Treaties, nothing prevents the Central Bank from acting forcefully to lower the price of public debt. Not only does nothing prevent him from acting, but everything encourages him to do so. It is generally agreed that inflation is the most worrying today!

In 1989, after the fall of the Wall, Helmut Kohl, François Mitterrand and the other European Heads of State were enough to decide to create the single currency. After four years of crisis, what are our leaders still waiting for to give oxygen to our public finances? The mechanism we are proposing could be applied immediately, both to reduce the cost of old debt and to finance fundamental investments for our future such as a European energy saving plan.

All those who ask for the negotiation of a new European Treaty are obviously right: with the countries that want it, we must build a political Europe, capable of acting on globalization; a truly democratic Europe as already proposed by Wolfgang Schäuble and Karl Lamers in 1994 or Joschka Fischer in 2000. Obviously, a Treaty of social convergence and real economic governance are needed. All this is essential. But no new Treaty can be adopted if our continent plunges into a “death spiral” and a majority of citizens come to hate everything that comes from Brussels.

The urgency is to send the people a very clear signal: Europe is not in the hands of the financial lobbies. It is at the service of citizens.

Stéphane Hessel, Pierre Larrouturou and Michel Rocard, Five criteria for social Europe, in Le Monde of June 9, 2004.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 09/01/12, 18:04

To take nevertheless with caution, I read in particular in the comment N ° 7:

@BruxellesdanslaRue The article writes: "Bloomberg shows that the Federal Reserve [...] lent the banks [...] the gigantic sum of 1.200 trillion at the incredibly low rate of 0,01%". This is wrong, the 0.01% rate has only been used once and for a small amount. The article writes "private banks, which are usually financed at 1% from central banks, [...]". This is wrong the Federal Reserve rate is 0-0.25%. The article writes "of governments to which the financial markets no longer accept to lend a few billion at interest rates below 6, 7 or 9%". This is wrong, Belgium, which is not the first in the class to borrow at 0.264% (last auction, source: Debt Agency) and Germany at negative rates. I do not know if the ECB should lend directly to governments (for this part I am not expressing an opinion) but it is not by using erroneous arguments that we will succeed in changing things for the good.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
louphil
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by louphil » 09/01/12, 23:59

I've been coming back to participate for a while now, or I had somewhat abandoned the forum .

Indeed this very interesting conference appealed to me a lot, but I was however very surprised not to hear about the relation between public debt and article 104 of Maastrich recommending the end of the monetary sovereignty of the states for the benefit of financial markets on the one hand, and the (very recent) appointment of "bankers" at the head of the states in difficulty (greece, italy) ...

Did I "skip" for a while or stuck ...? If not, do you know a link or join this person, because I would even be curious enough to have his opinion on this subject ...
0 x
http://wunic.fr

This is because the speed of light is greater than that of sound,
Some have the brilliant air before the air con ....:D :D :D
chrisleblay
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by chrisleblay » 10/01/12, 03:56

Decrease working time yes that's the solution.

Redefining 'work' is also very important. We must continue
in these ideas.

We all have to work, but intelligently, of course.

C'est bien.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 10/01/12, 09:05

louphil wrote:Indeed this very interesting conference appealed to me a lot, but I was however very surprised not to hear about the relation between public debt and article 104 of maastrich recommending the end of the monetary sovereignty of the states for the benefit of financial markets on the one hand, and the (very recent) appointment of "bankers" at the head of the states in difficulty (greece, italy).

He speaks about it ... indirectly when he presents the curve of the American debt and that he explains that its "explosion" coincides with the arrival of the liberals in power (reagan and tatcher ...) ie at the beginning of the 80s ... that is to say roughly as in Europe following this article 104 ... (the debt having remained moderate during the 70s) ...

I believe that the USA (and other highly indebted countries like Japan) are still sovereign over their monetary creation but they have the FED ... or other mechanisms that make the government lose control ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 26/02/12, 13:38

A collective has been created, Pierre Larrouturou is one of them: http://www.roosevelt2012.fr/

It is full of common sense, I think that all the other solutions (pipo) mentioned (austerity, reducing civil servants, hunting immigrants ...) by analysts, media or politicians are outright deception in a fuzzy end goal (rise of political extremes? Legitimization of anti-democratic law ... etc etc)!

Restoring oxygen to our States
> sharply reduce interest rates on old debt

Is it normal for states to pay 600 times more than private banks? We recently learned that the US Federal Reserve has secretly lent the ailing 1.200 billion dollars to troubled banks at an incredibly low rate of 0,01%.

At the same time, in many countries, people are suffering the brunt of austerity plans because the financial markets only lend money to certain states at rates of 6, 7 or 11%. Asphyxiated by such interest rates, governments are pushed to freeze pensions, family allowances or public service salaries and cut investment, which increases unemployment and will soon plunge us into a recession of one extreme gravity.

Is it normal that, in the event of a crisis, private banks, which usually finance themselves at 1% from central banks, can benefit from rates at 0,01% but that, in the event of a crisis, the States are obliged , on the contrary, to pay rates 600 or 800 times higher?

more details and more time!

2 Create new financial room for maneuver

> create a European tax on corporate profits

The corporate income tax rate is only 25% on average in Europe compared to 40% in the United States. It's the world upside down ! We thought the United States was the most liberal, but they tax corporate profits more than we do.
Average corporate income tax rate USA 40%
Europe 25%

Why does Europe have such a low rate? Since the accession of Ireland and Great Britain in 1973, all European states have been pushed to the lowest tax position by states that lower their profit taxes to attract businesses. Ireland has lowered its rate to 12% and all member states have had to lower their income tax ... At European level, the average rate of income tax has dropped by a third in twenty years. This tax lowest is one of the important causes of public debt.

3 End the national fiscal scuttling

To get out of our dependence on the markets and rebalance our public accounts, we can also find significant room for maneuver at the national level by canceling a good part of the tax cuts granted to large companies and the wealthiest citizens for 10 years.

The report by UMP deputy Gilles Carrez published on July 5, 2010 shows that if all the tax cuts voted since 2000 were canceled, the state would have 100 billion more in its coffers each year. If we simply returned to the tax system that existed in 2000 (no one considered it confiscatory or sovietiform), our deficit would turn into a surplus!

The state has lost 100 billion in tax revenue
News from July 5, 2010

4 Boycott tax havens

> use the lever of public procurement

A report by the European Parliament estimates that the flight to tax havens causes a tax loss of around 1 to 1,5% of GDP each year for each Member State. In France, it is a loss of 20 to 30 billion euros each year. Beyond the rhetoric, no serious action is taken today to fight against tax havens.

5 Limit layoffs as much as possible

Germany experienced an economic crisis twice as severe in 2009 as our country. However, despite an economic shock 2 times stronger, unemployment increased 6 times less in Germany than in France.
Recession 2009 Evolution of unemployment
Germany - 4,6% + 220.000
France - 2,3% + 1.200.000

How to explain this "miracle"? German unions have gone to Angela Merkel to demand that dismissal become a last resort and that the general rule is to keep the maximum number of employees, the maximum of skills, in the company by developing the Kurzarbeit.

6 Securing the precarious

In each of our countries, each month, tens of thousands of men and women come to the end of the law and fall into great precariousness. Given the gravity of the crisis and the lack of hope for a rapid return to full employment, there is an urgent need to extend compensation to the unemployed and to improve their support and access to training.

7 Prohibit banks from speculating with our money

> separate deposit banks and investment banks

To protect citizens' savings and not to run any risks for public finances or the financing of the real economy, the principle of a tight separation between deposit and business banks has just been implemented in Great Britain. Brittany but the lobbies have obtained that its application be postponed to ... 2019! It is obviously much too late. Given the risk that a major crisis will soon break out on the financial markets, this reform must be implemented without delay to protect the real economy.

To prevent banks from speculating with Mr. and Mrs. Everyone's money, we must separate deposit banks and merchant banks. It was one of the first reforms Roosevelt had adopted in 1933 by passing the Glass Steagal Act.

8 Create a real Tax on Financial Transactions

If such a tax had been created in 2008, even at a very low rate, it would have already brought in between 250 and 600 billion. The Greek crisis could have been resolved very quickly, without requiring efforts from the peoples of Europe. What are we waiting for to finally create this tax and reassure the German people like the other peoples of Europe by telling them that this is the last time they have been asked for an unjust effort?

From now on, the financial markets will be used to contribute to the European Stability Fund.

9 Fight against offshoring

> impose respect for social and environmental standards in world trade by convening a new Philadelphia Summit

In 1944, before calling the Bretton-Woods summit which will rebuild the international financial system, Roosevelt organized the Philadelphia summit, which adopted as an absolute priority the respect of a certain number of social rules: "work is not a commodity. (…) There will be no lasting peace without social justice ”affirmed Roosevelt and the other heads of state before defining rules on wages, working time and the division between wages and dividends…

Very concrete rules to respect in each country as in world trade. Before the neo-liberals dismantled them, these rules allowed 30 years of debt-free prosperity.

0 x