Shortage of exploitable Helium on Earth?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
oiseautempete
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by oiseautempete » 25/08/10, 09:11

Christophe wrote:
oiseautempete wrote:Helium is not extracted from rocks but natural gas in which it is present in concentrations up to 7% ... 2 are therefore linked: as long as there is natural gas, there is helium ...

No because the GN does not always contain!

If it is well trapped in rocks like natural gas ... that's why some deposits of GN contain more or less ...

I do not see where the contradiction with my words is: some people seemed to believe that it was extracted from mines, in fact helium is never alone, but always linked to natural gas, natural gas not only almost always contains a few ppm to a few%, but all the deposits mentioned for helium are actually the largest deposits of natural gas in the world : Lol:
Obviously only the high-grade deposits are exploited for helium ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/08/10, 09:30

We agree.

It remains to be seen how the proportion of gas varies over time over the operating life of the well.
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 25/08/10, 09:54

dedeleco wrote:cuicui writes:
Hydrogen-boron fusion in a nuclear power plant with magnetic necking produces helium.

Before this machine produces helium clutches, helium will have completely disappeared, like the currently rationed He3.

Obviously, since all research credits on the civil applications of the nuclear fusion are monopolized by ITER.
If you want hydrogen-boron fusion plants to produce helium, you have to invest in that, which is not the case right now.
0 x
freddau
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by freddau » 25/08/10, 09:58

Stop worrying.

helium is abundant in the universe but not on the planet :)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/08/10, 10:44

Cuicui wrote:Obviously, since all research credits on the civil applications of the nuclear fusion are monopolized by ITER.

Uh ITER will not produce helium? I thought if ... like any Hydrogen fusion?
0 x
Cuicui
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Cuicui » 25/08/10, 12:13

Christophe wrote:
Cuicui wrote:Obviously, since all research credits on the civil applications of the nuclear fusion are monopolized by ITER.

ITER will release radioactivity. Moreover he is not sure that he can work. Would it not be better to invest in technologies that make it possible to produce clean, less complex and cheaper plants?
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 11/11/12, 19:50

There is a big project in Qatar.

I saw it mentioned in '' The Search '' last month, so a little bit of Google gives:

My summary,
The '' Qatar Helium II '' project is underway, costing 500 $ million, started in 2010. Production capacity of 38 millions of helium m3, commissioning in 2013.

the number II attached to the project is because Qatar already has a plant of 20 million m3 in service.

Air Liquide (cocorico!) Is on the cost that brings its technology. Helium is removed from natural gas extracted by techno Air Liquide. It is purified at 99.99%. All this in relation to existing gas liquefaction trains.

Qatar's "North Field Reservoir" contains the largest proven Helium reserve in the world.

Qatar Helium II Refining Facility, Qatar

The Qatar Helium 2 project will be the world's largest helium refining facility in Ras Laffan Industrial City, Qatar. The 500m project broke ground in May 2010.

The facility will produce 38 million cubic meters of helium a year to position Qatar as the second-largest helium producer in the world. With a combined annual production of 58 million cubic meters, Qatar will account for 25% of the world's helium production. The first Qatar helium facility, launched in 2005, contributes about 20 million cubic meters a year.

Companies
Liquefied Gas Company 2 (Qatargas 2), Qatar Liquefied Gas Company 3 (Qatargas 3), Qatar Liquefied Gas Company 4 (Qatargas 4) and Ras Laffan Liquefied Natural Gas Company (3).

RasGas Company will manage and operate the facility production in 2013.

Process technology
The plant will be captured and processed by Qatar's North Field. Crude helium extracted by the helium extraction units will be sent to the Air Liquide-manufactured helium liquefier.

Liquid Air Liquide's patented advanced technology. Helium will be separated from the raw gas stream in two phases.

In the first phase the crude helium will be separated into the liquefaction area of ​​the plant. All impurities including nitrogen, hydrogen and methane will be removed during the second phase. Within the upgrader unit, it will be purified to 99.99% purity following a pressure swing adsorption process.

The pure gas will be liquefied using a number of turbo expanders and brazed aluminum flat heat exchangers. Following liquefaction, the gas will be stored in a Dewar or storage drum at -269 ° C. The storage drum will be equipped with a thermal jacket and a thermal shield.

Qatar Helium II design
The new facility will be built adjacent to the Qatar Helium I facility. It will include an extraction unit, a purification unit and the world's largest helium that will be manufactured by Air Liquide.

Helium extraction units in RasGas LNG trains 6 and 7 will recover the helium generated by the facilities.

Engineering, procurement and construction
The engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contract for the project was awarded to Air Liquide on 6 May 2010. Chiyoda Al Mana Engineering Company (Chiyoda) was appointed to the EPC management services provider for the helium extraction units and utilities of the 2010 project.

Off-take agreements were signed with Air Liquide, Iwatani Corporation and Linde Gases, at Linde Group Division, in the second half of 2010. AirLiquide will procure 50% of the total helium produced. Linde Gases will acquire 30% of the output while Iwatani Corporation will get 20% of the annual production up to 2032.

Market growth
The global demand for Helium has, since 2000, witnessed to 20% increase. Helium is used for a number of industrial and medical applications including MRI scanners, welding and fiber optics. By 2020 the global demand for helium is expected to rise by six billion cubic feet a year. A large portion of this rising demand by Qatar's North Field Reservoir, which hosts the world's largest proven helium reserves

http://www.chemicals-technology.com/pro ... helium-ii/

The specter of Helium 's shortage is further away. Image

Nevertheless, by the time of commissioning, prices for Helium are tight.
As this article of the 14 Seven 2012 says: http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=22147145
0 x
BobFuck
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by BobFuck » 11/11/12, 20:58

I correct (in bold):

Cuicui wrote:Obviously, since all research credits in Europe on the civil applications of the nuclear fusion are monopolized by ITER.
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by moinsdewatt » 25/11/12, 12:23

Christophe wrote:

Helium will be produced in ridiculous quantities in Iter.
Not enough to fill 10000 m3 for a big airship.
0 x
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 27/11/12, 10:22

It's anecdotal, but there is already shortage of Helium at Mickey's

AFP wrote:Disneyland Park in Tokyo announced Tuesday that it is suspending the sale of helium-filled balloons because of a global shortage of this gas.

Mickey, Donald and other characters from the Disney world were removed from the sale last week because the company running the park could not secure a steady supply of helium, said a door. of Oriental Land.
0 x