Hugo Chavez leaves the global monetary system

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Hugo Chavez leaves the global monetary system

by gegyx » 01/05/07, 16:15

Hugo Chavez will leave the IMF and the World Bank.
He intends to create a regional banking institution which would replace these two organizations responsible, according to him, for poverty in South America.

Chavez leaves the World Bank and the IMF

Created the 01-05-2007 at 06h02 - Updated the 23-06-2008 at 10h31

Venezuela had already canceled its debts to the two organizations. "Soon we won't have to go to Washington, or the IMF or the World Bank, or anywhere," said Hugo Chavez.

Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez announced on Monday April 30 that his country would be withdrawn from the World Bank and the International Monetary Fund (IMF), in a largely symbolic gesture since Venezuela has already canceled its debts to the two lending organizations.

"We will soon no longer have to go to Washington, or the IMF or the World Bank, or anywhere," said the radical left leader, who has long castigated these two Washington-based institutions.

He explained that he wanted to formalize Venezuela's exit from the IMF and the World Bank "this evening and ask them to give back what belongs to us".

"We have a few dollars there," he said, referring to Venezuela's recent debt repayments to the World Bank five years ahead of schedule, saving the country $ 8 million .

Maintain poverty

Venezuela had also finished paying off its debts to the IMF soon after Chavez came to power in 1999. The IMF also closed its offices in Venezuela at the end of last year.

This announcement by the Venezuelan president comes the day after another statement during a meeting with representatives of the allied countries of Venezuela in which he said that Latin America in general would be better without the World Bank and the IMF, supported by United States. On several occasions already, he had accused their lending policies of maintaining poverty. (AP)
0 x
zac
Pantone engine Researcher

by zac » 01/05/07, 16:24

Hello

After adopting the oil market in € (with Iran); there is no lack of balls.

Unfortunately I fear that he will sign his death warrant : Evil:

if the us can no longer pluck the south american they risk reacting violently : Evil: : Evil: : Evil:

@+
0 x
Said the zebra, freeman (endangered breed)
This is not because I am con I try not to do smart things.
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 01/05/07, 16:44

* In Métro, it is said that the president of Ecuador Rafael Correa recently expelled, the representative of the World Bank.

* For the “Bank of the South”, Chavez has the support of Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Brazil…

It's starting to surface ...
: Cheesy:
0 x
toto65
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by toto65 » 01/05/07, 17:17

Unfortunately I fear that he will sign his death warrant

I unfortunately agree.

Chavez has the support of Argentina, Bolivia, Ecuador, and Brazil…
I hope they will be united!

Do not forget. Our duty to remember.
For some bananas ....
http://europe.rfo.fr/article119.html
http://www.lecourrier.ch/index.php?name ... &sid=38003
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 01/05/07, 21:38

Fortunately, the United States is still a little busy with Iraq, otherwise they were entitled to a punitive raid! :)

It will be interesting to see how it will evolve.

We may need a host country if sarkozy passes! :)

Good average salary at 210 euros, will have to make sacrifices! ;)

SixK
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/05/07, 22:41

I openly welcome the initiative and I do not think that the USA still has the methods and the credibility to make the interventions they made in the 60s and 70s in South America ...

They are also bcp less powerful (in relative) than at the time ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/05/07, 23:03

0 x
Other

by Other » 02/05/07, 01:00

Hello

Christophe wrote:http://www.econologique.info/index.php/2007/05/01/6080-chavez-nationalise-le-petrole-de-l-orenoque-par-une-occupation-romandiecom

It is not tomorrow the day before that the tar sands of Alberta is nationalized.
When Quebec nationalized hydroelectricity, at that time we passed for Communists.

if the us can no longer pluck the south american they risk reacting violently

It's not just them he plucks ... usually, he doesn't ask, they buy settle down and make themselves at home, Nickel mine, gold, uranium, graphite mine, lastly of diamont and when they have exhausted the site it gives up waste and equipment, it is the government which must take care of cleaning when it is feasible (in Nunavick in the far north there are sites abounded with all the equipment rusty)

Obviously there is a free trade agreement with USA, South America and Canada, but it does not even respect when a court gives them wrong, they appeal that drag on for years
Litigation over softwood lumber, over beef, over grain

As Jean de Lafontaine wrote so well, the reason for the strongest is always the best, it's still relevant.

Legacy of an asbestos mountain after mine closure

Andre
0 x
toto65
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by toto65 » 03/07/07, 21:04

new,
Hugo wants to protect himself from Uncle Sam

https://www.econologie.com/forums/index.php? ... cd0ec2df7a
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/07/13, 22:21

Venezuela officially announced on Saturday that it was ending discussions it had started in June with the United States in an attempt to normalize bilateral relations, due to US statements deemed "infamous" by Caracas.

http://www.lexpress.fr/actualite/monde/ ... 67951.html
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"