Bruno Latour: the current economy will lead the world to its loss ... and it is right!

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bruno Latour: the current economy will lead the world to ruin ... and he is right!

by sen-no-sen » 22/09/17, 15:16

Ahmed wrote:The impasse before which we find ourselves results less from an exhaustion of resources * than from the accumulation of internal contradictions in the system, its impossibility to persist in its being, our blindness to want it and our inability to demonstrate imagination to get out.

Resource depletion is a form of subjectivity hardly different from the concept of pollution.
This key concepts of contemporary ecology, widely used in the arguments of any environmentalist worthy of the name is in my opinion a dangerous rhetoric, or at best ineffective.
The reasoning scheme abandons the philosophical aspect in favor of a quantified assessment, in short it consists in conceding the ground to economism.
The danger of this approach results in the inability to foresee a major qualitative leap.
For example, the depletion of resources is from a physical point of view only a virtual barrier.
It is only in the energy-economic context (sorry for the term!) As long as our resources are limited.
If thermonuclear fusion is under control, our ability to extract deeper and further (on the moon?) Or even transmute materials will effectively annihilate this argument.
The same remark can be applied to GMOs, if in 20 years the overall balance is positive, the health argument will be quickly swept away, and we will then consume GMOs ...
1 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Bruno Latour: the current economy will lead the world to ruin ... and he is right!

by Ahmed » 22/09/17, 20:09

The shift from economism to technologism, however improbable it may be, but whose trends are emerging through the rise in inequalities (and new forms of dominance?), Could also drastically reconfigure the energy landscape, since the minority humans involved (at least at the beginning) would only consume through a technology which would be based indifferently on fusion or solar ...

you write:
The reasoning scheme abandons the philosophical aspect in favor of a quantified assessment, in short it consists in conceding the ground to economism.

It is the same kind of error which was committed by the first anti-nuclear which concentrated their criticisms on the technical aspects, because of their more "audible" aspect ... but it was to fight on a ground where the opponent had the most ammunition (not to mention the decoys!).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 23/09/17, 10:41

To answer Christophe's question, which is mine too : Wink: : no solution ! just things to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwXudpMdbuo

http://adrastia.org/

No hindsight, I discover ... : Wink:

A+
2 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 23/09/17, 14:03

I highly recommend that those watching this video carefully read the latest posts from Sen-no-sen and meditate on them ...
That said, there are also great things in this video ...
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 24/09/17, 19:25

eclectron wrote:To answer Christophe's question, which is mine too : Wink: : no solution ! just things to do.

http://adrastia.org/

No hindsight, I discover ... : Wink:

A+

This interview is interesting, thank you for sharing it.
The positions of Vincent Mignerot are relevant, his remarks on the emergence of moral religions and agriculture are very well founded, it seems to me that the latter have heard of the work of François Roddier,this explains that. 8)

I simply put a damper on the question of limit of resources, this one being likely to be pushed back into a distant elsewhere by means of a qualitative technological leap which seems to me possible with a chance on two in the 15/20 years to come.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
eclectron
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by eclectron » 26/09/17, 19:59

sen-no-sen wrote:it seems to me that the last ones got wind of the works of François Roddier,this explains that. 8)

On the banner of the youtube channel we find François Roddier : Wink:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCprmhr ... uSmv-QOEgA

sen-no-sen wrote:I simply put a damper on the question of limit of resources, this one being likely to be pushed back into a distant elsewhere by means of a qualitative technological leap which seems to me possible with a chance on two in the 15/20 years to come.

What makes you think that, do you have info or is it more a feeling?

A+
0 x
whatever.
We will try the 3 posts per day max
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 04/05/18, 19:17

France would have consumed its resources for the year, this month!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
J-Pierre
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by J-Pierre » 28/10/18, 19:11

This is the whole subject of my blog:
https://lejustenecessaire.wordpress.com/
If you have other arguments, please, thank you.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/10/18, 19:42

Eclectron, you question sen-no-sen on this statement:
I simply put a damper on the question of limit of resources, this one being likely to be pushed back into a distant elsewhere by means of a qualitative technological leap which seems to me possible with a chance on two in the 15/20 years to come.

I already answered here to this question.
In my opinion, since our societies are based above all on economic relations, the spark that will set fire to the powder will be of this nature. Indeed, just as food stocks can be destroyed, not because they cannot meet existing food needs, but because they cannot be put on the market without damaging their real function: transforming a quantity of initial money into a higher final sum (in the absence of solvent buyers corresponding to the quantity of food produced), likewise the progressive inability to find new sources of profitable investment in sufficient quantity for the enormous quantity of capital accumulated constitutes the ultimate milestone of economic exponentialism. Those who focus on physical limits have not understood this abstract yet essential aspect.
As for technological leaps, we can imagine many things, such as catalysts capable of reducing energy consumption, bacteria capable of extracting diffuse ores in deposits or in waste (unless it is through nanomachines). It is a commonplace to note that capitalism accommodates scarcity (when it does not create it!), To take advantage of it and sell what was previously free.
1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/10/18, 20:38

J-Pierre wrote:This is the whole subject of my blog:
https://lejustenecessaire.wordpress.com/
If you have other arguments, please, thank you.

You don't have to put your blog in all your messages: put it in your signature :) this will be automatic!

You can configure your signature here: ucp.php? i = ucp_profile & mode = signature
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"