GDP, growth and ecology: why is it blocking?

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
gilgamesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gilgamesh » 07/04/08, 20:18

The articles are very interesting and it helps to understand a lot of things .... why normal people spin and spin without ever getting anything done.
0 x
there is no absolute truth in the realm of phenomena

gilgamesh
Christophe

by Christophe » 07/04/08, 20:51

Uh can you clarify your remark? : Idea: :?:
0 x
martien007
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by martien007 » 08/04/08, 00:27

gilgamesh wrote:Hello...

I want to contribute with an article from alterinfo which explains very well what is happening now:

http://www.alterinfo.net/L-arnaque-mone ... 18457.html

It is by becoming aware that we take the first step to regain our rights. Ecological problems are well linked to this subject because they are just the result of this kind of irresponsible and criminal attitude.

Excellent article. I believe the conclusion is correct, to follow

A new planetary crack will occur soon due to the programmed fall in the rate of the dollar which, I recall, is currently used as international reserve currency. This will be the time to demand from our elected officials a complete overhaul of the monetary system so that it is truly at the service of the economy and no longer the instrument of power of a wealthy minority.
0 x
gilgamesh
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by gilgamesh » 08/04/08, 10:40

Christophe wrote:Uh can you clarify your remark? : Idea: :?:

bath - that explains why there is a constant dilution of wealth and as even in a growth scenario the general situation of the population becomes ever more precarious. With us before the revolution the minimum wage was 15 euro (1974) but we could buy 3000 cup of coffee with amount and in addition Portugal was a poor country at the time - today a minimum wage is about 420 euro but that's enough for 700 cups of coffee. It shows that economic growth does not serve the population and that it is just a new method of slavery.
0 x
there is no absolute truth in the realm of phenomena

gilgamesh
Christophe

by Christophe » 08/04/08, 11:13

Yep ... We are always in a feudal society, the lords simply have no more swords but costars ... : Mrgreen:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 14/09/09, 08:41

An article heavily criticized the "holy GDP, patron of the ministers of economy and finance and traders" in Alsace! Two positive (or surprising) things about this article:

a) the Alsatians are historically on the right
b) they are rather "conservative"

Very well well it goes!

4 reasons to exceed GDP

GDP does not measure the essential

Gross domestic product (GDP) measures the totality of production by paid work. Anything that can be sold or that has monetary added value inflates GDP (and therefore growth), regardless of whether it adds to individual or collective well-being.

The destruction of the Amazon rainforest is an activity that increases global GDP, despite the disappearance of ecosystems and the effects on the climate. In the same vein, road accidents, which make the health services and the automotive industry work, are excellent for GDP…

The place of the indicator in the orientation of public policies was called into question in the XNUMXs, notably in the Club of Rome report on "limits to growth". Then by the appearance of "sustainable development" in the jargon of the United Nations: social equity and ecological sustainability must accompany economic growth.

In the XNUMXs, the Human Development Index (HDI) was created, which combined literacy rates, life expectancy and GDP in purchasing power parity.

But the Indian Amartya Sen, who co-chairs the Commission on wealth indicators, considers the HDI unsuitable for developed countries.

According to him, it is necessary to think about a new index "which explains why some people in rich countries do not see their living conditions improve when the GDP increases", with "new criteria, such as for example unemployment rate. (Interview at 20 minutes, January 8, 2008).

GDP does not account for inequality

In France, GDP increased in constant euros from 966,2 billion in 1982 to 1593,7 billion in 2006, or more than 60%. But at the same time, the average salary stagnated in favor of income from property, believes Roland Pfefferkorn, director of the Institute of Sociology at the University of Strasbourg (1). He is a member of the Inequality Alert Network, which created the BIP40, “barometer of inequality and poverty”. This index shows the widening of economic and social gaps.

Among the sixty BIP 40 criteria (housing, health, justice, etc.), that of academic success shows, for example, that in large schools (Polytechnic, HEC, etc.) the share of children from working-class backgrounds (workers, employees, artisans, etc.) fell from 30% to 9% in 50 years. "INSEE, which claimed that inequalities were not progressing, has since evolved on this question," explains Roland Pfefferkorn. "His latest surveys take more account of financial income (stocks and bonds in particular) and the advantage of owners who do not pay rents, which confirms our estimates. "

The director general of INSEE, Jean-Philippe Cotis, believes that the distribution of income should be taken into account by new indicators, even if GDP must "remain the benchmark".

GDP forgets the non-profit sector

The GDP "does not include essential contributions to well-being," says Jean Gadrey: "In France, there are ten to twelve million volunteers in associations, or more than one million full-time equivalent jobs. But this activity does not appear anywhere, just like domestic work, which nevertheless represents volumes comparable to those of paid work. "

A possible model could be the true progress index: we subtract environmental and social costs from GDP and we add the values ​​of volunteering, education, etc.

In the United States, "real progress" has stagnated since the mid-2004s, and represented less than half of the GDP in XNUMX. But the GPI notably stumbles on the difficulty of putting a price on ecological services (such as the pollination by bees).

GDP does not measure ecological footprint

In the absence of an “international model”, China also gave up in 2007 on conceiving of a “green GDP”, by subtracting from the GDP the loss of natural heritage induced by human activities, and the expenses incurred to correct these impacts. "These would represent between 3 and 8% of its GDP," says Oliver Zwirner, economist at the DG environment of the European Commission.

He considers that it will not be possible to abandon GDP as a reference, but that it will have to be supplemented by other reliable indices, such as the ecological footprint (2). This measures the area necessary to produce the resources consumed by a population, and absorb its waste. The ecological footprint of France is thus 4,9 ha per inhabitant, against 0,9 ha for an Indian and 9,4 for an American. The sustainability threshold for the planet is 2,1 ha ... Humanity would therefore consume more services from nature today than the ecosystem can regenerate, the equivalent of 1,3 planet. Hence the theories of "degrowth", aimed at radically transforming our way of life.

SB
(1) Author of “Inequalities and social relations. Class reports, gender reports ”, La Dispute, 2007

(2) Read Aurélien Boutaud, Natacha Gondran, "The ecological footprint", La Découverte, 2009

Source: Alsace http://www.lalsace.fr/fr/france-monde/a ... e-PIB.html
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 14/09/09, 20:43

Excellent article!
The problem with our "system" is that it is based on a concept of exponential growth, yet there is nothing in the universe that can grow indefinitely ... absolutely nothing !, and unfortunately our economists and others upholders of the world royally ignore this Absolute principle!
But as Coluche said "our politicians are not stupid, they do it on purpose" ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/09/09, 10:39

Yes, the whole problem is there: the GDP is not made for a finite system ...
0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 23/03/10, 14:50

High unemployment to avoid inflation (toxic to rentiers).

http://french-revolution-2.blog.fr/2008 ... s~3657054/
0 x
Ptilu
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ptilu » 23/03/10, 16:54

Hi everybody :)
GDP is not the indicator we need. I would just add one example to your long list: Katerina. Nothing is taken into account to devalue this tool, and it increases during a natural disaster, despite the economic, social and ecological loss : Shock:

But I think that our dear leaders are not slaves of the GDP, nor of capital, and certainly not of a world plot. They simply have no power and above all no possibility of maneuvering. Example: the carbon tax. I really didn't think that an idiot like Sarko would go against his camp and his values. To tell the truth, he shot himself in the foot.
Electoral interests (perspective about 5 years) are perfectly incompatible with a real issue (the one that interests us 100 years). Do you know a single elected official who will ban cars in the city center? However, I don't think he's in the pay of the world company. It is rather to avoid political success. To sum up, let us quote Bukowski:

"politics is the art of buggering flies"

In addition, the democratic process is appallingly slow and produces only compromises when it is not nothing ... There is only to look at the result of the Copenhagen summit, whose solutions are really profitable yet been hijacked for over 30 years.

Finally, let's not forget the futility of most electoral issues. All French people hate capital, but they always end up voting for it !!! and the few who stand up against it are for the most part limited andouille ... To illustrate this, watch the episode of Simsons which was broadcast on W9 last night (dsl, I forgot the title), or Mr. Burns almost became governor. Or just the 2007 campaign.

It is really unfortunate, but I think that democracy is in contradiction with our fundamentally humanist desire. In fact, if they are off to a bad start, I think the Chinese will reach real goals before us (well, the goals that are theirs)

The Romans did appoint a dictator in the event of a crisis, which allowed their republic to continue despite the dangers for 500 years. Well this democracy was far from perfect, and this system (the appointment of an imperator) was short for the republic, but admit that in terms of longevity or awareness of the issues, we are far from being able to boast today 'hui. Besides, the 5th Republic has a device of this kind, fortunately never used.
0 x

Back to "Economy and finance, sustainability, growth, GDP, ecological tax systems"