Ecology source of serious pollution.

Current Economy and Sustainable Development-compatible? GDP growth (at all costs), economic development, inflation ... How concillier the current economy with the environment and sustainable development.
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Ecology source of serious pollution.

by the middle » 20/09/12, 08:05

Hello,
Yesterday, I saw a program on rare earths ...
I learned a lot, very sad.
In fact, there are many, but the problem is who sacrifices their country to extract and refine these products.
Wind turbines use neodymium magnets, and these magnets are made from rare earths.
There are a lot of radio active elements in these lands and other shit.
http://www.maxisciences.com/pollution/p ... 17084.html
America halted production due to pollution, Australia
extract this land, but will process it in Malaysia, I believe ...
The manufacture of solar panels also causes great pollution.
http://www.maxisciences.com/pollution/p ... 17084.html
See the demonstrations in China.
So, I ask myself the question, green energies .... are they that green?
For me, they are no longer green, they are shit. :?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/09/12, 12:47

there is not necessarily a magnet in the wind turbines

with gear multiplier it is very classic alternator without magnet

even with alternator in direct drive it is possible thanks to a large number of pole to make a wound excitation: it is the case of enercon on all their range

I find the neodymium magnet too expensive

the coiled excitation has other advantages: facilitates assembly without having to master the enormous attraction force of the magnets ... allows variable excitation to choose the best performance and simplify the power electronics

so do not systematically link wind and rare earth magnets neodymium

in addition when you want strong magnets and you are not limited by weight and space, good old ferrite magnets are cheaper with equal magnetic effect
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 20/09/12, 14:36

there is not necessarily a magnet in the wind turbines

In any case, in the documentary, they said that given the number of wind turbines that China wants to build, precisely because of the neodymium magnets, the total production (over a year?) Of rare earths from China would not be enough.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 20/09/12, 14:41

Without doing too much research on the net:
It is a proven fact, to produce a maximum of current one needs a magnetic field as strong as possible. This is why we are going to use neodymium magnets, which are also called "permanent magnets" because of their very long life. They are composed of a neodymium-iron-boron alloy and are at least ten times more powerful than conventional magnets. They keep all their magnetic property intact for at least three centuries. That is to say if your wind turbine has a future ahead of it.

http://www.heliciel.com/helice/eolienne ... lienne.htm
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Ecology source of serious pollution.

by Leo Maximus » 20/09/12, 15:06

lejustemilieu wrote:... The wind turbines use neodymium magnets, and these magnets are made from rare earths ....

It is especially in hard disks that we find neodymium magnets. They are manufactured in the billions and are discarded after very few years of service.
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 20/09/12, 15:17

In the years to come, it is the manufacturers of large wind turbines who are likely to have the greatest need for rare earths so as to reduce the weight of the magnets for the 5-ton generators placed at the top of the ever higher masts.

http://www.planetoscope.com/sols/1048-p ... rares.html
Very good article
0 x
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 20/09/12, 16:17

lejustemilieu wrote:
In the years to come, it is the manufacturers of large wind turbines who are likely to have the greatest need for rare earths so as to reduce the weight of the magnets for the 5-ton generators placed at the top of the ever higher masts.

http://www.planetoscope.com/sols/1048-p ... rares.html
Very good article

In the link, I read:

"Consumption of rare earths

World demand for rare earths is estimated at 110 to 000 tonnes, depending on the source.

Japan consumes 32 tonnes of rare earths each year.

Europe consumes 13 tonnes of rare earths each year.

The rest of Asia consumes 5 tonnes of rare earths each year.

Japan consumes 11 tonnes of rare earths each year
."

So Japan, which exists twice, consumes 32000 tonnes + 11000 tonnes, or 43000 tonnes each year ... that's a lot! : Lol:

: Lol:

NB: the generator can very well be installed on the ground.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 20/09/12, 19:37

enercon which is a builder of significant wind turbine makes its alternator without magnet
The magnetic field of the stator winding is excited by means of so-called electromagnets located at the level of the rotor disc, mobile part of the ENERCON annular generator.

http://www.enercon.de/fr-fr/753.htm

I find that the neodymium magnet is too expensive for the wind turbine: it is good for the hard disk and the small ultra light engine, modelism or electric bike

if some wind turbine manufacturer use neodymium magnets it should not be considered as an obligation
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 23/09/12, 15:23

It seems to me that the title of the subject is inappropriate, it should be renamed:"renewable energies: source of serious pollution ", or :"renewable energies ... not so ecological as that".

Ecology is a science that aims to study ecosystems, so it should not be confused with technical means to produce energy.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 23/09/12, 15:39

there is too much error in this title

ecology does not mean wind turbine

and especially wind turbine does not mean rare earth magnet ... since there are many with a wound excitation, or asynchronous, or with ferrite magnet

and even if there are neodymium magnets the magnets are not consumed like petroleum! they are just used, and reusable for eternity: even if the wind turbine falls into ruins the magnets will still be recoverable!

often there are neodymium magnets in commercial documents because it sounds hi tech ... and the model produced is ferrite because it is more profitable
0 x