Yesterday I changed the battery in my motherboard

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Yesterday I changed the battery in my motherboard

by Forhorse » 12/09/16, 19:28

Hello everybody

This is the first time in my life that it happened to me, keep a PC long enough to need to change the battery of the motherboard!

I bought this PC in 2007 (exactly in April, I found the invoice) so it's been 9 years that it is service, and since that time I use it almost every day. And to say that at the end of the 90s at the beginning of 2000 I changed my PC 3 times a year.

Anyway, all that to say that planned obsolescence in IT is not at the hardware level.
After the "scandal" of rotten capacitors on motherboards in the mid-2000s (sometimes some motherboards did not last more than 6 months before breaking down) the manufacturers made up for it.

Good little flat all the same, in 9 years I had to change 1 time graphics card because the one I had originally put was really low-end (and I'm not talking in terms of performance but of quality). And on the replacement graphics card the fan quickly gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a larger one of better quality and quieter.
I also have a hard drive that dropped, but probably because of the heat, it was in a removable rack very poorly ventilated.

Initially under Windows XP, I passed it under Windows 7 at the end of the official support of XP and offered him in the process a small SSD which gave him back a good deal of youth.
In short, apart from these few incidents, no big fees on it, and I think it will still serve me a good time because it is largely powerful enough for what I ask.
At worst, I have electronic simulation software that brings it to its knees with complex diagrams, but I use it very rarely, so buying a newer and more powerful PC is not justified.
0 x
Flytox

Re: Yesterday I changed the battery on my motherboard

by Flytox » 12/09/16, 23:12

Forhorse wrote:Hello everybody

This is the first time in my life that it happened to me, keep a PC long enough to need to change the battery of the motherboard!

I bought this PC in 2007 (exactly in April, I found the invoice) so it's been 9 years that it is service, and since that time I use it almost every day. And to say that at the end of the 90s at the beginning of 2000 I changed my PC 3 times a year.

Anyway, all that to say that planned obsolescence in IT is not at the hardware level.
After the "scandal" of rotten capacitors on motherboards in the mid-2000s (sometimes some motherboards did not last more than 6 months before breaking down) the manufacturers made up for it.

Good little flat all the same, in 9 years I had to change 1 time graphics card because the one I had originally put was really low-end (and I'm not talking in terms of performance but of quality). And on the replacement graphics card the fan quickly gave up the ghost so I replaced it with a larger one of better quality and quieter.
I also have a hard drive that dropped, but probably because of the heat, it was in a removable rack very poorly ventilated.

Initially under Windows XP, I passed it under Windows 7 at the end of the official support of XP and offered him in the process a small SSD which gave him back a good deal of youth.
In short, apart from these few incidents, no big fees on it, and I think it will still serve me a good time because it is largely powerful enough for what I ask.
At worst, I have electronic simulation software that brings it to its knees with complex diagrams, but I use it very rarely, so buying a newer and more powerful PC is not justified.

Indeed, you don't pay anything to wait, sooner or later, your internet service provider will manage to provide you with a service that will no longer be compatible with XP or Seven, just to force you to change your hardware and or Software when even. A few years ago they hit me at Free, when registering, so their Box worked perfectly under 98 (dixit the hot line). In fact, it was a big lie it didn't work which under XP. The "old" stuff being unable to run XP, so it was necessary to change the bike .... chui not stayed long at Free ....
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Forhorse
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Yesterday I changed the battery on my motherboard

by Forhorse » 13/09/16, 20:10

Internet and other modem boxes have been completely independent of the operating system used by the computers that connect to them for a long time.
This kind of problem happened at the time when the modems were connected by USB.
0 x