Use ashes like laundry

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
PITMIX
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

Re: Use ash as laundry

by PITMIX » 04/04/11, 18:25

iota wrote:Hi everybody,

I use the ash of my chimney as laundry, it's great!

I get the ash and put it in a coffee filter (4 tablespoons).
I put a liter of water in the coffee pot and zou.
the result is a slightly yellow liquid (depends on the burned wood).
I pour everything into the machine on the laundry.
The result is perfect, no smell, except that of the laundry.

Hi and thank you Iota for the great idea of ​​the coffee maker.
I am looking for a solution to perfume the linen because for now I do not get anything with essential oils.
2 drops, in the laundry dose + 2 drops in the white vinegar as a softener and even with 5 drops on a cloth when going to the dryer, no smell.
It may be necessary to put more ... but how much?
The goal of the game is to make a laundry the cheapest possible but with a good smell.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/01/13, 18:33

0 x
culbuto
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by culbuto » 23/02/13, 20:12

for those who do not have a fireplace, there is the possibility of making laundry with ivy. I also use it for shampoos. The saponin contained in ivy is extracted in 24h. it's washing well, without lathering. And for the hair, it's very soft.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/13, 22:35

A little off topic but I ask it anyway: what is ash as a thermal insulator?

In my opinion, given the lightness, it's not bad at all ... as long as it does not take moisture!

So notice to those who consume a lot of wood and have attics lost to isolate ... or improve ...
0 x
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 23/02/13, 23:03

Christophe what insulates in the insulation is the air;) .... unless you keep the "cottony" shape of the ash, which is impossible as soon as you touch it, everything breaks into small pieces, and the more you mix, stir etc. the more you make small particles ... so that there is no air locked in the final material (well, at the same time I may have a large mouth;) but that does not seem viable to me ;)) ...

I did my first laundry, and the first uses are very satisfactory with the ash ... perso I added a little black soap with ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 23/02/13, 23:09

bidouille23 wrote:as soon as you touch it all breaks into small pieces, and the more you mix stirs etc the more you make small particles

mmmm ... a leap of ash seems to me just as light (so air capture = little compaction) as the ash in the stove ... on the other hand as soon as we wet a little it is the disaster .. .

Let's wait for the opinion of other "experts" ... : Cheesy:
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by highfly-addict » 23/02/13, 23:16

Christophe wrote:A little off topic but I ask it anyway: what is ash as a thermal insulator?

In my opinion, given the lightness, it's not bad at all ... as long as it does not take moisture!

So notice to those who consume a lot of wood and have attics lost to isolate ... or improve ...

I think that for the roofs, it's far from ideal! On the other hand to isolate a home style rocket stove, it works well ... but less than vermiculite.
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
bidouille23
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by bidouille23 » 24/02/13, 00:00

It's not wrong, actually ... As for the water there against it is prohibitive, except to make kinds of bag like with rain cover ... :)

I think that I will not remember hightflyaddict's remark, used on a small surface is a good idea and much more easily achievable, have even to be able to make a coating with, which may have interesting features I imagine ...
on the other hand good luck to have many .... especially if the stove burns well, I would take my example: I leave a bottom seal (10 cm high at the bottom of the seal) all the month roughly, it's the very very fine dust, so not gained to have useful quantities;) (other than for laundry for example) ...

But I'm also waiting for the experts' opinion :) ;)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/03/13, 16:24

"recipe" found on FB:

simple, ecological and economical laundry based on vegetable ash!
I have two liters left, I'll get back to it tomorrow :))

The ashes of plants contain potash, which like saponin, has the power to dissolve fats. It is this laundry that, for centuries, will serve as a basic reagent in the manufacture of soaps.
I wanted it to be simple and practical to prepare. And I show you it in detail.

preparation: 3 ash cups for a liter of water (I put 21 for 7 liters of water)
let stand 24 h

then filter using a mesh box and a cloth - underneath, another box that can recover the famous liquid

the laundry has no smell, it just smells ... clean laundry!
you can also add a few drops of essential oil on a piece of cloth placed in the drum or put in the cabinet small sachets of lavender.

Energy savings and more because it is effective even at low temperature (I wash almost everything at 40 ° C). And no risk of allergy, even for the fragile skin of babies!

The linen is soft, no need softener.

Those who have the curiosity to test will do an excellent action for the planet, their wallet and their health ...

0 x
gegyx
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by gegyx » 17/03/13, 17:42

There was no dose indicated?

Because if you put only a cup of liquid to replace a cup of laundry trade,

the share of conventional laundry would be equivalent to the active product contained in 0,6 part of gross ash?

Edit / Ben yes according to
preparation: 3 ash cups for a liter of water
Last edited by gegyx the 17 / 03 / 13, 18: 08, 1 edited once.
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"