Voluntary simplicity in practice

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 25/05/11, 12:29

did67-
much less red meats (also for reasons of menu "cardiocompatible" following a heart attack); luckily, this helps the C balance!
why specifically red?
0 x
netshaman
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by netshaman » 25/05/11, 14:03

Because it is fat and raised to GMOs.
Except the one that is organic.
I will soon do without tap water, I will connect a rainwater tank.

[HS]
And later I will connect it to the heliostat to make hydrogen and then electricity, but after having solved some small design problems.
But I believe it is doable.
[/ HS]
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/05/11, 14:37

Janic wrote:did67-
much less red meats (also for reasons of menu "cardiocompatible" following a heart attack); luckily, this helps the C balance!
why specifically red?

Very good question. In the margins of this discussion, elements of response:

- compared to my problematic (cardiac), the red meat is "marbled" with fat (about 15% of fat cahcéde in a steak apparently "pure meat"; while in the proc or poultry, the fat is left over. exterior and easy to remove (a turkey fillet is less than 3% fat)

- besides that is, it is "bad fat", that which is deposited in the arteries ...

- all the serious studies are in agreement: one should not eat "red meats" more than 2 or 3 times per me; afterwards, it is felt statistically in cardiovascular diseases and other hassles !!!

- poultry fats, including foie gras, are good fats (do not heat them; a cassoulet is recommended!)

- the ostrich, although its meat is red, is therefore classified as "white meat"!

- the pork, although red, is close to it and can be assimilated to it

- rabbit, although red, is white meat

Added to this, and this is linked to our problem, is the fact that the "conversion" of vegetable calories into meat is much less good in the case of cattle than for poultry / pigs; So in general, a kg of red meat has a much smaller ecological footprint than a kg of poultry or pork ... But there, of course, the mode of production plays a huge role: between a beef from the pampas raised free and a European battery bull raised on soybeans, between a pampas beef and a battery chicken, we can discuss. In short, it is not easy to compare !!! But in general, less red meat and more pulses: and your health, and the planet will be better.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/05/11, 16:23

It is not enough, and it is wrong (in large part).

Did67 wrote:
Janic wrote:did67-
why specifically red?

Very good question. In the margins of this discussion, elements of response:
- fats from poultry, including foie gras, "Are good fats" (do not heat them; a cassoulet is recommended!)

Uh, are you serious there? : Mrgreen:

It all depends on the individual metabolism. From where we live and from our physical efforts, but in principle, in our latitudes:

1) All SATURATED fats are BAD, only polyunsaturated, non-hydrogenated vegetable fats are GOOD FATS, but they are not found in meat but in first cold pressed oils. (It is this principle which is correct ... after bad fats ... there may be some which are worse than others ... except that for example => the inuits may need it in their bowl food)

2) Si we eat meat, it would be better to eat it with potatoes (and preferably not with white rice or pasta) because the meat acidifies the organism and the best deacidifiers are the rooty ones (potato in mind and well safe exercise)! (And again, it depends on where we live ...)

3) These are raw oils, which should absolutely not be cooked, they transform their shape "CIS" in shape "TRANS" (now prohibited in restaurants in N.-Y) prefer butter => saturated fat! Or better yet, steam it !!!

And eating meat every day is very bad (once a week is enough, but the best would be to do without it, but socially, our societies of "warriors" are not ready for that).
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 25/05/11, 17:51

For optimal food read this article based on comparative epidemiological studies around the world:
http://www.hondafoundation.jp/library/p ... p106_e.pdf

by Walter Willett with lots of scientific studies for 40 years !!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Willett

Watch especially the disease figures depending on the country or what we eat!

I consider it very instructive based on objective reality without preconceptions.
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 25/05/11, 22:13

Obamot wrote:
Uh, are you serious there? : mrgreen:

It all depends on the individual metabolism. From where we live and from our physical efforts, but in principle, in our latitudes:

1) All SATURATED fats are BAD, only polyunsaturated, non-hydrogenated vegetable fats are GOOD FATS, but they are not found in meat but in first cold pressed oils. (It is this principle which is correct ... after bad fats ... there may be some which are worse than others ... except that for example => the inuits may need it in their bowl food)

2) Si we eat meat, it would be better to eat it with potatoes (and preferably not with white rice or pasta) because the meat acidifies the organism and the best deacidifiers are the rooty ones (potato in mind and well safe exercise)! (And again, it depends on where we live ...)

3) These are raw oils, which should absolutely not be cooked, they transform their shape "CIS" in shape "TRANS" (now prohibited in restaurants in N.-Y) prefer butter => saturated fat! Or better yet, steam it !!!

And eating meat every day is very bad (once a week is enough, but the best would be to do without it, but socially, our societies of "warriors" are not ready for that).

Very serious ! Am I known for telling bullshit? (I sometimes exaggerate!).

I have a heart attack 4 years ago. I thoroughly explored the question during 1,5 years of forced inactivity. What I write, I do.

There are the "we say", there is what is written in "Current woman", and there are a little more extensive literature.

But at the same time, I am correcting a little: "among animal fats, those I have cited are rather less bad - way good for goose and duck or rabbit fat ".

Agree that the ideal is to be vegetarian. I can't do it!

To know: there are very bad vegetable fats, even cold pressed: palm oil is a disaster, as worse than beef fat (and hello the "special frying fat" which is bought in a packet: a heart disaster). Peanut oil is not terrible, neither is sunflower, ISIO-like mixes either ...

Rapeseed, which is the cheapest oil, is one of the best. With very expensive oils, like nuts, hazelnuts, grapeseed or sesame ...

The olive is only average (even if it is part of the famous Cretan diet). Quite stable when cooked, however.

Among animal fats, oily fish fats are the top : sardines, halibut, mackerel, salmon, certain tuna ... Omega3 capsules bought at high prices are cod liver oil extracts, refined and sold at high prices ...

"Trans" fats are hydrogenated fats.

View: http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acide_gras_trans

Including vegetable,therefore. Typically, margarines. Although vegetable, to ban! But they are especially hidden in all industrial pastries, biscuits under the sweet name of "hydrogenated vegetable fats". A disaster.

Finally, all fats = risk of gaining weight, which also plays on cardiovascular problems. But we cannot do without it. So anyway, you have to moderate consumption.

So in the diet that I apply myself: oily fish often, little vegetable fat (sauces, etc ...), even less cooked fat (steam cooking), more fries, but actually chicken, turkey or rabbit quite regularly, last night duck confit (defatted and especially skinned) because I am unfortunately too carnivorous and to balance a vegetarian meal, it is not so simple in the long run (but I encourage - I do not contradict you on this point because it is more "eco-friendly"!). Very exceptionally therefore, red meats - beef or mutton (lean pieces). To add: I tend not to like cooked vegetables! Not easy to change your tastes !!!

Oh yes, and okay also for white starchy foods: I eat semi-complete or complete (and therefore organic, because otherwise, hello pesticide residues on the outer envelopes). Because fibers are "microsensors" of fats and cholesterols in the intestine ...

Afterwards, the literature is very controversial on the questions of acidifying foods or not. This made the happiness of certain popes of certain regimes which draw millions of copies. With apparently obvious "theories". Except that appearances are deceptive. Before it is called into question for the reverse, with a new regime, a new print run of 1 million copies by another Dr trucmuche ... I remain cautious there. Alas, "food advice" is first and foremost a business and it spells just about everything and its opposite. I decided to ignore it. I can miss something!
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 25/05/11, 23:36

Said like that it's much better ... let's see in detail ...

Did67 wrote:Agree that the ideal is to be vegetarian. I can't do it!

It is not an obligation. It just needs that the "balance of the food bowl" is correct, either in one mode // or in the other ...

Did67 wrote:To know: there are very bad vegetable fats, even cold pressed: palm oil is a disaster, as worse than beef fat (and hello the "special frying fat" which is bought in a packet: a heart disaster).

Indeed, this is why I mentioned hydrogenated fats .... Process which takes away the strong taste of cheap palm oil ... And which produces the "Trans" formula because of the high temperatures of the process.

Did67 wrote:Peanut oil is not that great,

Apparently you haven't dug enough! Olive oil should not be used for cooking, peanut oil it is better to avoid it (54% oleic acid but no omega), but it is the "least worse" to cook ... Even better: take a knob of butter to cook in the pan (otherwise never put butter in the food if possible).

Did67 wrote:the first press sunflower is excellent

It has an advantage compared to olive oil, it is that it is necessary to put much less for a better effect in the organism ... It has 60% of omega -6 and 22% of omega -9

Did67 wrote:neither, ISIO-style mixes either ...

Exactly, these Lessieur oils contain assemblies in which it is authorized to put ... drain oil. To flee...

Did67 wrote:Rapeseed, which is the cheapest oil, is one of the best.

Better why? Taste tells you what you need!
Rapeseed has
10% omega -3
20% omega -6
62% omega -9
It is therefore a little "poor" in omega -3 / -6

No, the most balanced - for human needs - is hemp oil
17% omega -3
59% omega -6
13% omega -9

Did67 wrote:The olive is only average (even if it is part of the famous Cretan diet). Quite stable when cooked, however.

Olive oil is sufficient for those who live on the shores of the Mediterranean, because they have been stuffed with it since childhood, so they are not deficient ... As such, rapeseed oil consumed since childhood regularly, is better than sunflower oil => on condition that you find the right one (but I have never found any in cold pressing ...)
1% omega -3
10% omega -6
74% omega -9

Do not cook "raw" oils ... it's such a shame.

Did67 wrote:With very expensive oils, like nuts, hazelnuts, grapeseed or sesame ...

Out of the "great classics", there is no restriction, you can eat anything a little within your means.

Did67 wrote:Among animal fats, oily fish fats are the top : sardines, halibut, mackerel, salmon, certain tuna ... Omega3 capsules bought at high prices are cod liver oil extracts, refined and sold at high prices ...

Yes, but then you have to eat the fish raw or steamed! Because if you heat it too much, it turns into a "TRANS" formula

Did67 wrote:"Trans" fats are hydrogenated fats.

It is correct, but not only, it is by heating them beyond a certain temperature (decidedly, what you say is not very correct ...)

pffff .... we don't have the same sources ...

Did67 wrote:Including vegetable,therefore. Typically, margarines. Although vegetable, to ban! But they are especially hidden in all industrial pastries, biscuits under the sweet name of "hydrogenated vegetable fats". A disaster.

Finally, all fats = risk of gaining weight, which also plays on cardiovascular problems. But we cannot do without it. So anyway, you have to moderate consumption.

ABSOLUTELY

Did67 wrote:So in the diet that I apply: fatty fish often, little vegetable fat (sauces, etc ...), even less cooked fat (steam cooking), more fries, but actually chicken, turkey or of rabbit quite regularly ,.

Ok for everything else except that:

Did67 wrote:Because fibers are "microsensors" of fats and cholesterols in the intestine ...

Cholesterol? No, it is in the blood and in the blood vessels. This is why we consume POLYUNSATURATED fatty acids, because in contact with SATURATED fats (see bad cholesterol) these become saturated and are eliminated since they detach from blood vessels, carrying with them toxins that the organism will have fixed there (one of our internal road systems in a way)

Did67 wrote:Afterwards, the literature is very controversial on the questions of acidifying foods or not.

No it has nothing to do with it, it is the complete problem of the acid / base balance of the organism. Very few relate it correctly ...

But it misses the essential point among all these good efforts that you make for your food: PLEASURE, do not forget it and place it in the center, otherwise it does not last.
0 x
Alain G
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Alain G » 26/05/11, 02:02

No mention of canola oil ???

It eats so much bad fat that the polyurethane food casings become brittle, personally it is the one I prefer to taste and in a salad!

A good antioxidant oil that can be used in all sauces!

In fact what was the subject of the subject? : Shock:
0 x
Stepping behind sometimes can strengthen friendship.
Criticism is good if added to some compliments.
Alain
Gaston
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gaston » 26/05/11, 10:33

Alain G wrote:No mention of canola oil ???
What you call canola is rapeseed oil : Lol:

It seems that the word Canola was invented by contraction of "Canada" and "Oil", it was more selling ...
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 26/05/11, 10:37

Yes, we drifted.

It started from my observation: voluntary "simplicity" should be extended to our diet (large indirect producer of fossil CO² and large responsible for our "ecological footprint").

So I suggested not to limit thinking to saving electricity, transportation, etc ... but to have a truly global approach for the family, which includes food ...

And I made the (laconic) observation that fortunately, reducing your ecological footprint through food also often goes in the direction of a healthier diet (more "cardio-compatible" I said) ...

I think we have to stop there [the development with obamot showing that we agree at 90% and that we agree on the more "cardio-compatible" side of a more "cardio-compatible" diet. "eco-friendly"!]

I come back to the subject:

- reduce your consumption of red meat therefore (as a priority) - [this is where we went wrong]
- reduce consumption of early vegetables (they are always a bit forced - heated greenhouses - and generally transported over great distances - Morocco, Isaraël, Egypt- when it is not a half-turn around the world)
- increase that of pulses (lentils, chickpeas ...)
- eat seasonal fruits when they are cheaper (I work with kinds of "cures" - cherries: I stuff myself with cherries for 15 days; then tomatoes, beans, etc ...); now, in Alsace, winter, out of cabbage, celery, leek ... this precept is not easy to apply!
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"