Open Source software or free to download

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
coucou789456
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by coucou789456 » 31/12/08, 02:48

Good evening

officially, in the police stations, gendarmeries, all the courts of France and Navarre, it is Open-office which is the software chosen and installed by default on all the machines.

moreover, for all those who would have chosen the original BILOU software, especially from the 2007 version, there is a new recording format incompatible with the old versions of this same software!

for others who would have bought software that copy protection prevents it from working, nothing prevents you from downloading it from the net, since you have a license, which will be necessary, especially if you plan to play on the net, on a network !

to do so, I use a paid NEWS server ($ 15 per month currently ---> usenet not to name it) 120 days of retention, unlimited download volume (my connection allows me speeds between 1 MB / s and 1,1 Mb / s ---> a 700 Mb divx in less than 15 minutes)

http://www.binnews.in/index.php?country=fr for the list of what is there. for a certain number of products to download, you will be informed if it is available for FREE users. for other ISPs, without a paid server, nothing is available!

jeff
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 31/12/08, 11:24

coucou789456 wrote:Good evening

officially, in the police stations, gendarmeries, all the courts of France and Navarre, it is Open-office which is the software chosen and installed by default on all the machines.
jeff

I confirm for those who remain concerned: the departments are migrating one after the other to OpenOffice, for an obvious reason of cost / legality.

There is also the Ministry of Defense, that of Agriculture, etc ...

If that can reassure those who still hesitate ...

An MP had considered a law to force public services to use free software. I never waited to speak about it.

It must start to bear fruit. Have you not noticed that the Office packs from Bilou are sold off, if you're a student, or 3 installations per family, or for teachers (like tobacco manufacturers, they hope at Microsoft to "infect" young people! ), etc ... ??? They must start to feel that they were abusing Microsoft!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/08, 11:41

Great your did67 info! It's not too early I would like to say !!

They should do the same with the OS ... but it will come. Linux has recently reached a threshold of maturity. For those who want to take the plunge: https://www.econologie.com/forums/j-installe ... t6568.html
0 x
delnoram

by delnoram » 31/12/08, 11:43

According to the latest news, the gendarmerie has migrated to Linux, however the person who confirmed it to me could not tell me which distribution it was.
0 x
"Thinking should not it be taught in school rather than to make learning by heart the facts that are not all proven?"
"It's not because they are likely to be wrong they are right!" (Coluche)
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 31/12/08, 12:53

Christophe wrote:Great your did67 info! It's not too early I would like to say !!

They should do the same with the OS ... but it will come. Linux has recently reached a threshold of maturity. For those who want to take the plunge: https://www.econologie.com/forums/j-installe ... t6568.html

I don't make you say it!

At Christmas I bought my companion a "netbook" (the ultraportables that we see blooming everywhere at the moment), model lenovo S10 http://www.cowcotland.com/news/12266/te ... o-s10.html 1.6 GHz Atom processor, 1 GB ram, 160 GB HDD, wifi, bluetooth, integrated Intel graphics card, webcam, SD card reader.

The original XP was only started twice, just to see if all the peripherals worked properly, and then I booted on a live Mandriva 2 gnome desktop CD (with an external USB drive), and in less than 2009 I installed the distribution on the hard disk (I still left the partoche of restoration in case).

Everything, absolutely everything, was recognized the first time! The bluetooth works "out of the box", I managed to exchange files with my phone, the wifi also works, although I had to download the windows driver (.inf file) to make the wifi work with ndiswrapper ( the native linux driver is not yet very stable because of the manufacturer broadcom which does not give the specifications of the wifi chip).

The 3D effects compiz fusion work niquel, it's beautiful, the PC is very responsive because there are not 10.000 things that are useless that turn in the background, in short, it is the foot.

I just spent a little time to correctly configure all the software that will be used, such as Amsn, Thunderbird and firefox, in particular to reduce as much as possible the size of the menu bars / icons to have as much space as possible for viewing. emails / web pages.

I also configured gnome to have only a "menu bar" at the bottom, just to have a little more useful space (there are only 600 pixels in height must be optimized !!)

All this of course (even for wifi!), Without typing a single command line! It is however my preferred method to know exactly what I do, but there it was not even necessary ....

For me windows has always been picking it up, but now more than ever without messing around! Although it is useless, the 3D effects of the desktop drive the nail even more, when I show that to Windozians, they are flabbergasted!
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 31/12/08, 13:12

nlc wrote:For me windows has always been picking it up, but now more than ever without messing around! Although it is useless, the 3D effects of the desktop drive the nail even more, when I show that to Windozians, they are flabbergasted!

I quote myself to clarify:

Windows is a deuche engine and a ferrari body (basically outside it's beautiful but the interior is rotten!), While linux has always been the complete opposite: ferrari engine but body of deuche.

But those days are over! Now linux is a ferrari engine AND a ferrari body :D

What inflates me is that we may not want windows, we still impose it on us the moment we buy the preconfigured PC.
I questioned the seller (at auchan) to get a refund for the windaube license: you have to give the machine to the after-sales service, which returns it to the manufacturer so that it formats the hard disk (and peels off the label no doubt ... ). All this of course is very long, in addition we have absolutely no idea how much we can hope to recover since these are OEM licenses.

In short, everything is done so that we drop and keep this damn license that we do not need. Because how to explain to my partner that his PC once unpacked I had to confiscate it for an indefinite period !! ???

It really inflates me because I am sure that the license costs between 50 and 100 €. I bought the PC € 369 it would have pulled the price to € 300, it's interesting!

On the PC dell that I ordered for work, the fact of buying it with ubuntu and not vista saved us exactly 95 €.
0 x
fthanron
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

PDF reader

by fthanron » 31/12/08, 13:16

For the open source PDF, there is the excellent Sumatra : http://blog.kowalczyk.info/software/sumatrapdf/

PS: concerning Foxit Reader, the fact that it is Open Source requires confirmation.

For Open Source burning, there is Burnatonce http://www.generation-nt.com/telecharge ... 47462.html

For the Open Source download there is Emule : http://www.emule-project.net/home/perl/general.cgi?l=13

@+
0 x
Frederic
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/08, 14:15

nlc wrote:At Christmas I bought my companion a "netbook" (the ultraportables that we see blooming everywhere at the moment), model lenovo S10

Nice gift! It looks a lot better than the Acer gadget I saw at the time (about 1 year with an original nux).

Do you know how much he consumes? Because such a mini laptop could interest me for long-term monitoring of our solar system.
0 x
nlc
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by nlc » 31/12/08, 14:44

At the beginning I wanted to go on the Medion / MSI model (these are clones), but I got caught at the last moment there were more nowhere ...
On the Medion / MSI the keyboard size is very close to a standard laptop keyboard. On the Lenovo, the keyboard is a bit smaller but still very usable. The 1st Asus EEPC model is indeed a toy, difficult to use every day. The latest EEPCs with 9 or 10 "screen are still a little better.

Consumption level, I know nothing at all. What I know is that the power supply is 40W, but since the power supply must be able to power the PC and recharge the battery when it is empty, I don't think that the PC consumes more than 25W with the 100% CPU.

It should be measured with the screen folded down and the processor downclocked to the minimum to see (no need to turn 1.6Ghz to monitor !!)

What does your long-term monitoring consist of?
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/08, 14:51

25W is low, it suits me. Well, that consists of making T ° graphs and putting the solar pump into service.

I would like to measure at least:
- T ° solar reserve
- Panel temperature
- Outside temperature (= panels temperature when no sun)
- Pump ON / OFF duration

All on an apache possibly open to the outside (for you what!).

All this in order to see if we can improve things.

I had already created a subject on this subject: https://www.econologie.com/forums/enregistre ... t6485.html
I called for the price of the Memo5, a "stand-alone" 5-channel recorder and it costs 1000 € HT ... A "little" too expensive to do some statistics ...
0 x