Print only in black and white with a color printer?

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Print only in black and white with a color printer?

by Christophe » 15/03/08, 10:29

Question may be a bit silly but I would like to optimize the consumption of ink cartridges: print exclusively in B&W with an hp1215 color printer and to be able to manage the quality more finely (ie reduce the quality to the maximum of "readable").

Obviously we can use an image manager and grayscale a screenshot but it's a bit "heavy" for the texts ...

I had found a software at the time but impossible to get my hands on it.

It may be manageable with the custom printing "Color Profiles" but I have never touched that and it does not seem to be easily editable ... so if kk1 has already been confronted with the problem and 'he knows a quick fix ...

:?:
Last edited by Christophe the 15 / 03 / 08, 11: 03, 1 edited once.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/03/08, 10:57

I would point out that with my printer model, there is obviously nothing in the "toolbox" or configuration panels allowing to print in B&W (unlike other printers where you can check a box)
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/03/08, 11:01

Good in the config there is the choice of the number of cartridge:
a) 1 black
b) 1 tri-color
c) 1 quarter note + 1 tri-color (the current case)

So I thought that by putting a) in place of c) colors would be used more, well it doesn't work.

So I see more than a solution: to transfer the color cartridge ... it's a bit messy but hey ... if that works ... :?
0 x
Bougonnator
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Bougonnator » 15/03/08, 11:18

Hello Christopher,

If I remember correctly, and you are using the Microsoft Office Pack, you must have the option of printing in 'draft mode' which prints in black without any other modification and optimizes ink consumption.
For other software, I don't know.
I don't know your HP, but the drivers are available on hp.com and maybe they can print 2 or 4 pages on a single sheet. This also limits the consumption of paper.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 15/03/08, 11:38

No I don't use Pack Office, and I wanted something that does it for all softwares ... a kind of new universal and advanced driver what :) (we can dream)...

By cons, obviously, I print 100% in "draft" mode is my default setting (like many of you I suppose).

For "multiple" printing yes it is included and I also use a lot.

the best thing is: draft + 2 per page + duplex.

4 A4 per page it becomes a little illegible ...
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 18/03/08, 21:08

I looked at the drivers for the HP ColorLaserJet from work:

=> Printer properties
=> Printing options
=> Color tab
=> Print in grayscale / parameters

Then the parameters:

Clearly, with these sagouins from HP, you have parameters accessible on laser but not on inkjet: /
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/03/08, 22:03

Yes, thank you apparently with "advanced" printers there is the possibility of "shunting" the colors but not with the basics ... like the hp1215 (moreover very robust!) ...

What is crazy is that it is the same manufacturer ... Good short: the best method: not buy a color cartridge :)
So I empty mine and basta!
0 x
bamboo
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by bamboo » 19/03/08, 10:13

On mine (which is an old HP) I also have a box for the B&W mode.
I can also declare this setting as "default" which comes in handy.

It's shameful on the part of HP not to put this systematically.
Probably to sell more cartridges : Evil:
0 x
Solar Production + VE + VAE = short cycle electricity
boblebricoleur
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by boblebricoleur » 30/03/08, 15:29

We are in the "green tips and tricks" section
I have a good one : Cheesy: buy a laser printer. Personally, I only do black and white, the quality is impeccable and for the colors, it's just photos, so a photo lab. Anyway when I see the rendering of printers for photos and holding over time, not to mention the cost.
In addition now there are second-hand lasers for 2 times nothing like the toners and ecological level for rejections, 1 toner = how many cartridges in the trash?
Here's a little anecdote that will not solve the schmilblick
0 x
Arthur_64
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Arthur_64 » 30/03/08, 15:37

Same, I use a laser printer. I make few prints and the inkjet cartridges dried before I made 50 pages ...

I find myself greatly at the financial level despite an initial investment of 150 € and a cost of 70 € / toner (50 € if I recycle the old one). Considering what I do with toner, it's more than profitable.
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"