Wasp nest under roof

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

Wasp nest under roof

by SixK » 02/09/14, 00:34

I just noticed that I have a wasp nest under my roof.
I admit that I don't really know what to do.

The nest must be big enough, it takes off by 2 or 3 every 2 to 3 seconds.

For the moment I intend to weaken the colony by trapping the workers. (plastic bottle + water + sugar + alcohol)

By reading information about the life of wasps, the colony should die and the queens will come out in the spring. The nest should not be reused.

I am split between 2 choices, kill them all or wait for them to go?

The nest is not dangerous, even if it is near my front door. They are about 2m20 tall and I could tinker with my quiet bike just below.
0 x
highfly-addict
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Nest of wasps under roof

by highfly-addict » 02/09/14, 01:00

SixK wrote:I am split between 2 choices, kill them all or wait for them to go?

The nest is not dangerous, even if it is near my front door. They are about 2m20 tall and I could tinker with my quiet bike just below.

Uh ... I think you're answering the question yourself, right?

Either way, killing these creatures that are neither harmful nor harmful would be bad for your karma : Cheesy: !
0 x
"God laughs at those who deplore the effects of which they cherish the causes" BOSSUET
"We see what we believes"Dennis MEADOWS
raymon
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by raymon » 02/09/14, 10:55

If we can avoid it is better to leave them alone each year I have dozens of wasp nests on my roof and I leave them alone.
Wasps are useful natural predators.
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 02/09/14, 11:12

SixK wrote:For the moment I intend to weaken the colony by trapping the workers. (plastic bottle + water + sugar + alcohol)

The urine in a plastic bottle added with a little sugar is not bad either, they are attracted, enter the bottle, then are asleep by the ammonia fumes and can no longer fly out ( advantage, it does not evaporate as quickly as alcohol).

Otherwise, letting a nest thrive can grow up to several tens of kilos (depending on the type of wasp), and you are not immune to a sudden attack by a wasp that would have bitten the fly. !

At home I wait for the end of the season, then winter, and the following year I dissuade them from staying with a smoke bomb as soon as I see a little "activity" in the nest, in general they leave elsewhere (they really don't like it), then I sprinkle the old nest with a repellent that could kill the most daring to come back ... And I don't see them again, even though I didn't have to kill the whole colony! (This is the period when they will soon start to be more discreet, unless there is an Indian summer, we will have to wait a bit ... We can do it at the end of the season, but that makes them more nervous sometimes, you might as well do it after they have spent the winter, they are weakened and a little lazy to still have to fight ...)
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 02/09/14, 23:04

I admit, I am a little annoyed, not a single wasp has deigned to pay attention to my trap!
However, I had made a nice cocktail, strawberry syrup + water + a leftover of a good white wine with a hint of honey on the neck, all served free of charge less than 1 meter from the entrance to the nest!

I hope I will not regret it, but I think I will leave the nest alone for the time being.

When it gets colder, I might throw them a cocktail of vinegar + Mir in the nest. (hoping that the nest is directly at the exit they take)

SixK
0 x
julien12
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by julien12 » 10/10/14, 09:43

Obamot wrote:
SixK wrote:For the moment I intend to weaken the colony by trapping the workers. (plastic bottle + water + sugar + alcohol)

The urine in a plastic bottle added with a little sugar is not bad either, they are attracted, enter the bottle, then are asleep by the ammonia fumes and can no longer fly out ( advantage, it does not evaporate as quickly as alcohol).

Otherwise, letting a nest thrive can grow up to several tens of kilos (depending on the type of wasp), and you are not immune to a sudden attack by a wasp that would have bitten the fly. !

Bonjour.
I am new to the forum. I too have problems with wasps in my garden. Fortunately I came across this subject.

Thank you very much for your advice
0 x
phil53
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by phil53 » 10/10/14, 19:46

Often the wasps that nest under the roof are wasps polistes.
They make small nests, about twenty wasps. Each at the end of the season tries to spend the winter warm. In spring it captures a prey and lays in it, closes the nest with a ball of earth (we also say mason wasp). The wasp emerging from it founds a small colony and off we go for a ride.
They are not aggressive and can be largely left under the roof.
If it's a big nest that settles there it's different, personally I prefer to kill them.
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 11/10/14, 15:36

The ones I have are not very big, not really aggressive.
With the cold they go less far and sometimes tend to land on the wall to wait for a little heat (I guess).

So this week, we must have had 2 to enter the house.

This is the period when it is probably the most dangerous, because you risk putting your hand on it without paying attention.

The nest is probably important, but I'm going to wait until it's really cold before I risk inspecting what's going on. :)

SixK
0 x
SixK
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by SixK » 24/10/14, 22:32

Good bah wasps under the roof, it was very nice, but there, I'm afraid of having a nest in the chimney! :(
I started a very small fire this evening, and no bowl, the smoke does not escape! :(
3 fighting wasps in the foyer, one of which managed to enter the house.
I think I'm good at not using the chimney all winter! :(

SixK
0 x
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/10/14, 22:57

If that's it, you must bring the firefighters, it is in their attributions it seems to me

When was your last sweep? It seems to me that it is compulsory once a year !? No?

Otherwise, call the fire department, that's what I will do: who says no smoke evacuation, blocked chimneys, etc., says potentially danger of fire! That's why they come ... You just have to phone them, explain to them what is happening to you, and ask them in a case like that, by whom is it taken care of? You can always tell them that you fear a fire, to make them "move".

They know how to deal with these insects ...

But maybe you have 2 nests?! =? : Mrgreen:

Hang in there ! 8) :?
0 x