Make leavened bread

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Make leavened bread

by izentrop » 07/12/17, 00:39

Hello,
My leaven has no name, but it's been a few years since it survives.
Leaven is alive, it is water and flour in fermentation by bacteria in symbiosis with wild yeast that must be fed regularly with flour and water.
It can be kept for several weeks in the fridge without feeding, but will have one or 2 refreshed before making a loaf.
It has the advantage of obtaining a more digestible, non-demineralizing bread, degrading gliadin, "The latter seems to be involved in gluten intolerance" http://www.passeportsante.net/fr/Actual ... 2002030100

Okay, I spent a little time there, it can be consulted online http://moncastel.free.fr/pain/Calculateur_Levain.html and it can also be used locally by saving the file on its hard disk. It's free of right :)
1 x
Did67

Re: Make leavened bread

by Did67 » 07/12/17, 11:35

This is the opportunity to have good "organic" bread for cheap. "Organic" flours are very affordable ... And when you know that a "1 kg bread" is a bread made from 1 kg of dough, including water, you quickly see how you can get "organic" breads for less than a euro!

For information, I use a bread machine, but with the "manual" programs: I knead a first time, then a second, then I let rise, then I program the baking ... Depending on the flour, the temperature, leaven, these are time steps to find, but the product is quite edible (even if it does not have the look of a nice loaf!).
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 07/12/17, 13:52

For a roll of 1 kg cooked, it takes about 1.16 kg of hydrated paste 70% is provided in my calculator. Part of the water evaporates when cooked, the moisture content of a loaf was measured at 46%.
The cooking time and the form must also be taken into account, but not in my calculator;).

I abandoned the bread machine for a long time. Already baking completely changes the taste and texture.
And then, leavened, with good hydration, it rises very well without kneading.

I also made a wire mesh mold with the dimensions of my mini-oven. That I lined with baking paper. Unlike the classic mold, it is microporous, lets pass water and steam. As I program for a night baking, no residual moisture on the demolded crust.

One of the last breads: 470 gr of spelled flour T70, 160 gr of sourdough, 330 gr of water, 10 gr of salt.
Heated water 1 mn microwave, mix with leaven and salt then with flour. It takes 2 mn with humidity at 70%.
2h to 30 °
Added 100 gr nut kernels that have been broken in the meantime.
12 h in the fridge.
Molding and baking 3 / 4 hour after cold start at 160 °
Attachments
mie_20171207.jpg
mie_20171207.jpg (231.61 KIO) Viewed 13667 times
2 x
Did67

by Did67 » 07/12/17, 15:54

You do not knead ???

That's what brought me to the bread machine (being lazy in the kitchen too!).

Cooking, it's been a long time since I intended to bake ... And then, it stayed.

I would say: whatever. One like the other one obtains an "organic" sourdough bread, without great effort, for very little expensive (if one compares to the stores; and I am not speaking to you about certain "specialized" stores boo pardon bio)

PS: my proportion of sourdough is much lower; roughly about 150 g of sourdough and 420 g of flour; I "lost" the recipe so I don't know about the water anymore, I put 150 g and then I adjust by watching the start of the brewing: I try to obtain a dough consistent enough but sticky enough so that the ball does not "turn in circles" in the mess ...
0 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 07/12/17, 17:29

No, I do not knead!
Sometimes I do not have time or laziness to prepare nuts, I just do the initial shaving, mini oven thermostat set to 28-30 °, timer on 2 h, the rest at room temperature (15 to 18 ° in this unheated room).
I refreshed the leavener at the same time.
When it's time to go to bed, I pour some salad bowls into the mold and start cooking 4 at 5 h afterwards.
I get the same result (without nuts) as the photo of the sandwich taken this afternoon. Nor is it the volume and the cells of the baker's bread. I search only taste, digestibility and simplicity. :)

I put less yeast before, but as I made a bread every 2 days, and I do not refreshing before taking the portion of leaven of my leaven chef just out of the fridge, my entourage complained of a bread sometimes too acidic.
It was Lolounette who had advised me to put 200 gr of yeast for 500 gr of flour. she was right, more taste and practically no more acidity.

Oven baking needs to be monitored, I know. I differ because I evaluated the risks: No fire risk in this room which is the boiler room. cooking set to 160 ° and 260 ° thermal fuse in case of runaway.
Last edited by izentrop the 07 / 12 / 17, 17: 47, 1 edited once.
0 x
bobbysolo67
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by bobbysolo67 » 07/12/17, 17:44

izentrop wrote:Hello,
My leaven has no name, but it's been a few years since it survives.

Mine as well. In fact, I have 4: rye, wheat, spelled and spelled. I recommend a great site here is the link:

https://ecoleinternationaledeboulangerie.fr/.

Look at the tutorials and tell me some news.

Here are the loaves I make:

IMG_0037.JPG
IMG_0037.JPG (295.81 KB) Viewed times 13638
2 x
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 07/12/17, 17:58

Nice result bobbysolo67
Yes, I know.
The videos on manual kneading are very instructive, but for now I was too lazy to tackle it. https://ecoleinternationaledeboulangerie.fr/tutos.php

This one is very interesting too. It allows to understand that leaven destructure gluten, that's why we must handle the dough with delicacy when it is ready for cooking.
I chose not to manipulate it at all : Mrgreen:
1 x
camel1
Pantone engine Researcher
Pantone engine Researcher

by camel1 » 07/12/17, 19:57

Bravo for your leavens, yes, it takes a lot of trials to get good results. I've been doing my bread for years, but we learn all the time.
Recently, from the mouth of a baker friend who provided our AMAP, I learned that, for those who do not use their leaven frequently, we can dehydrate it, it is then preserved almost indefinitely. The operation is simply to spread it thinly on a large plate lined with baking paper, which is put in the oven at low temperature (kind TH1 is about 30 / 40 ° C). It takes ... a while, you watch until it's dry and brittle. Then we defourne and break this crust into small pieces that can be put away in a jar.

To use, just immerse the desired amount in water, then make a little "refreshment" with a little flour, the day before cooking, and off you go. This avoids the risk of forgetting to feed your sourdough, and it helps out well when you have to move, wherever the sourdough has messed up.
Needless to say that you have to do this kind of operation on a leaven that gives you complete satisfaction, it's like a kind of backup what!

In terms of kneading, the guy explained to me the method he uses, which is called autolysis. Basically, we put the flour in the mess (or what takes place, me, it's an old cocote-minute large format) then we put the water of pouring (leaven + water WITHOUT salt), we mix the ingredients quickly without kneading really, then we collect the dough by working as little as possible. We cover and let say say half an hour, then we add the salt, we quickly reconnect the paw, we cover and let up a few hours, it will depend on the temperature. And yes ! The dough rises very well alone as a great!
When the dough has risen well, it is gently gathered from the edge to the center by floured hand or silicone spatula, then it is dropped as a ripe fruit on the floured worktop. Again, no brutality, it folds just by its edges to the center, and there - we can cut the dough if necessary and then shape and sign the breads that put back to warm in a basket . When they are reasonably swollen, they are gently put on a floured baking sheet and braised. Here.

I tested this method, and I can testify that it works super well. The advantage, beyond the chore and less, is that according to him, this way of doing things allows the dough to be structured without developing the gluten chains, and so it happens to produce a bread (flour Borsa) that allergic to gluten could eat without problem ...

On the other hand, I remain curious about this "low temperature" baking (160 ° C) that you use, Izentrop, do you get a nice crust? I'll have to give it a try to see ...
In any case, thank you for your sharing of experience, it is true that, after all, with little work involved, we can produce really inexpensive organic breads, (cheaper per kilo than "shit" bread from the store. organic) while being able to give yourself the luxury of making special breads with lots of possibilities.
1 x
We were on the brink, but we made a big step forward ...
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 07/12/17, 21:58

Thank you for returning camel1.

With my cooking temperature, I do not aim at the crispy crust of the bread grasped by a temperature of 260 °, water vapor and stone sole, but the good taste of yeast is there.

Your baker's story reminds me of what this Canadian does:
1 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/12/17, 09:20

camel1 wrote:
this way of doing things allows the dough to be structured without developing the gluten chains, and so it happens to produce a bread (Borsa flour) that allergic to gluten could eat without problem ...

I think that biologically it is more accurate to say, as izentrop said above, that this ripening breaks the gluten molecules ... Gluten is a protein made by wheat and present in flour ... not form in the bread. That's why any form of wheat derivatives is forbidden to people with celiac disease, not just bread.

And indeed, I have also observed that when the maturation is long, the bread is more acidic, which is linked to the activity of lactic bacteria, which “take over” the yeasts. And they "break down" gluten. The dough then seems to "sweat" and the bubbles become brittle to the point that it can "fall". It is the result of the degradation of gluten (gluten being a kind of "chewing gum" which allows the dough to make airtight bubbles from the CO² released by the yeasts)
2 x