The industrial obsolescence, history of deception

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Remundo

Re: The industrial obsolescence, history of deception

by Remundo » 30/12/17, 12:08

well, we were talking about it ... 10 years ago!
new-transport / what-is-the-margin-of-builders-self-on-a-car-t6652.html

will read my post :P

otherwise there is that too: http://www.caradisiac.com/Benefice-par- ... -14603.htm
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/12/17, 13:01

I don't believe for a second the € 129 of commercial profit per car at PSA !! It's pure and simple intoxication, PSA would have been bankrupt for a long time ...

I'm talking about commercial profit and not profit in the sense of accounting year like EBE or gross result (after deduction of costs, salary, charges etc etc ...) ... and if the EBE or gross result per car is too low, it is quite possible but c is that there is optimization to do ... like firing the world : Cheesy: : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/11/18, 16:59

After 10 months of investigation, the Italian Competition Authority has just sanctioned #Apple and #Samsung for their "dishonest business practices". She accuses them of having launched software updates harmful to the proper functioning of their #smartphones to push their customers to change devices. This conviction for planned obsolescence is a first in Europe. Other countries, including France, could follow.

1 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/19, 10:29

1 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 28/01/19, 12:47

I am divided on the subject.

Certainly it must exist but there are also things that die hard.

I think we could answer "it depends" more than "everything will break down within 2 years" ...

On the other hand, breakdown is also inherent in all mechanics.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/19, 13:07

Yes it depends ... we cannot drastically reduce costs without losing quality ...

Personally on the case of computers so that it lasts 2 years must be stupid (like watching movies by putting the PC on his duvet that he can no longer breathe!) ...

On the information, my personal experience: 2 laptops bought around 1000 € each (therefore already medium-high range):

a) Toshiba bought at the end of 2010 ...

Motherboard burned out after 18 months (early 2012), still under warranty, the Toshiba after-sales service changed it but put a motherboard with a GPU that was buggy (crash, blue screen, no better under linux ca freeze ... therefore not a problem of drivers but hardware ..) therefore unusable PC except by deactivating the graphics card (therefore not very good resolution but usable without freeze ...)

As a repair is only guaranteed for 3 months, I did not have time to have it repaired, hoping that it was a software problem ...

I still used it a few months in degraded mode enough to buy another ...

In 2019, the SMART data of the HDD gives 341 days of operation and 4800 on / off ...

b) Asus bought at the end of 2014 and which runs almost every day (at least 2h or 3h)

RAS

SMART: 385 days and 3750 on / off

Then there is the software obsolescence which it, in some cases, is well programmed ... it was mentioned above but some call it "progress" : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/19, 13:26

Another example that we talk about less is "Chinese quality" plumbing, I paid the price 2 weeks ago:

plumbing-and-health / disassembly-tap-discount-Chinese-flu-dismantled-vs-Grohe-kiwa-t15920.html
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 28/01/19, 14:20

The argument of the possibility of failure inherent in all mechanics (which I do not dispute!) Is defeated by the mounting and manufacturing methods which make repair or even simple maintenance very difficult or impossible * .
An example: the new guides for chain saws with "roller" ends no longer have lubrication holes. The caster rotates on a short roller bearing and regular lubrication prevented the introduction of dirt into this exposed part, thus maintaining a minimum of lubrication.

* I remember for example a toaster that I "repaired": the fixing screws of the carcass were hollow with triangular profile and the failure was caused by a simple accumulation of bread crumbs on the electromagnet (inaccessible to the outside) ...
The problem of screws is also only minor, because fixed in low-end plastic, some have messed up on reassembly. :frown:
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 28/01/19, 14:33

Ah yes! In the same genre, the new laptops (since around? 2015-2016) are mostly "Apple Design" ... Understand: the internal elements are no longer easily accessible as was the case for 25 to 30 years for laptops ...

Now simply adding ram or an HDD can become an obstacle course and the increase in the risk of breakage (plastics, motherboard ...) is important!

Before it took 5 min to add ram, now it takes a good hour.

Example with a recent MSI:

Regarding the battery: it's the same, the elements are now "included" on the motherboard, so it's still changeable but much more difficult!

Although some manufacturers had to make their batteries not removable ... there we see that the 6 Li-ion elements are (a priori) accessible,
It is also a recent MSI.

MSI_Leopard.jpg
0 x
PVresistif
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by PVresistif » 28/01/19, 18:23

see the following site which gives in chapter 5 the external link of a light bulb which works since 1901 without interruption! the camera that monitors it must be changed every 3 years !!!
http://osenon.free.fr
0 x