How to make a still? Plans and advice

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
diablotruc
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by diablotruc » 25/01/09, 22:56

Hello distillers,

I spend from time to time, with a lot of pleasure, on the different topics of the forumbut I rarely leave messages because I still do not have enough time to go into DIY. (It will come…)

I wanted to bring you some details about your distillations:

When you made simple single pass distillation (pot still - distillation of fermented fruit - Recycling of alcohol): you actually recover from alcohol.

Do not bother too much to check the temperature. Go easy with the heater. The safest is to be heated in a water bath. Here you get a compound that alcohol is often white.
At this stage try to recover all the alcohol in your still. To check this, simply grab a spoonful output condenser swing on the still hot and put a flame, continue to be distilled while it burns.

This first pass is not very safe to drink and has little taste of the fruit.

The boilers and pass all their stock of one flees and meets the first pass

Now is when it gets interesting because you have to distill the alcohol again to purify it. I know neither the temperature nor the pressure but it must effectively remove the heads and tails

The headers contain stuff like acetone (very, very hard and indigestible) are the fruit of alcohols which hardly feels the fruit but which tears the e gu --- and gives heartburn.

The tails are also very easy to remove! Whether or not you have a hydrometer to measure the alcohol content it does not change much. At first it's hard, and then to decline to a point or a drop near it becomes downright disgusting (a sweet smell of fruit that passes the smell of manure)
Like I mentioned alcohols that bother you stomach those are easily locate the smell. Watch out for eliminating the bad odor it will start the distillation.
Turn on the recovery a glass that you empty the As in the stock.

You can also put a colander output with a handkerchief containing some charcoal pieces of classic wood rinse well with water (this also eliminates some undesirable)

Once this good alcohol extract you must now adjust the alcohol content with clean water (always let stand overnight before adjusting) too diluted it becomes white, so go easy and drip every time.

I'll get invited to drop ...

Good luck
0 x
Boblamouche
I learn econologic
I learn econologic

by Boblamouche » 30/01/09, 18:53

diablotruc wrote: At first it's hard, and then to decline to a point or a drop near it becomes downright disgusting

At least, to its merit to be precise : Mrgreen:

For me, I advance in my purpose ... I caught enough to make the condenser, but the column remains a problem: I wanted to buy a tube of aluminum 60 but the guy I detailed the minimum by 3m ... his would actually even up for a column!

Otherwise for the problem of "too hot column" I will pass a coil of two turns of 15 copper tube from the top in the column. it will cool the vapors directly, I would sort of have a double distillation.

Edit: I found a piece of galvanized pipe for my column, but I do not know if I can use it. I saw that fesait zinc countertops but galvanized, I do not know if it's food ... could you lit my lantern?
0 x
ARC AND SENANS
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ARC AND SENANS » 01/02/09, 08:38

J have read about it quickly, and there are some little things that bothers me a bit. I distills recent years legally in the Doubs, and I m interested in the theoretical way of distillation. At the risk of being off-putting, I allows me to bring some precisions and lightening (and extension) vis-à-vis the legislation on the distillation in France.

The manufacture, possession and use of a still prohibited unless authorized in France (case of professional distillers, municipalities ...). Everyone here can relate his experiences and is responsible for his actions. J however draw your attention to the various crafts of still: cerains montages not hardly seems consistent with the simplest rules of safety ...

EXTENSION TEST ON FRENCH LEGISLATION(This text concerns France). Legislation may be different depending on the country
The distillation legislation is not well known in France, and there is a lot of prejudice and confusion: Here are some answers (topo this does not apply to professional distilleries, because they have different regulations).

Boiler difference between professional and vintage distiller privilege:
The boiler of professional thought has a still (of course told customs) and distills people fruit. It's his profession. People pay taxes and also pay his knowledge. The still travels from village to village. This is commonly done in Auvergne, in the Pays de Savoie, a little in the Jura.

The distiller privilege : It is a privilege that some people possess. They do not pay the first 1000 degrees of alcohol produced annually (those who do not have the privilege to pay these first 1000 degree at half price). It is not necessary to have the privilege to be able to distil in France. This right is not transmitted from father to son.
The origin of this law goes back to Napoleon and the last to possess the often retired and agriculture. Several privilege deletions projects were discussed at the National Assembly, but this topic is sensitive and the decision was postponed 2012 (it has already been postponed numerous times): However the abolition of privilege n not signal the end distillation because each owner can be distilled off by paying taxes.

Legislation stills:
In France, it is forbidden to manufacture, possess and use a still without prior authorization. Each still is registered with Customs and Excise. Communal stills are also recorded and sealed off distillation period.

Which can be distilled in France:
In France the parcel owners classified orchard and vineyard on the land registry can distill the product of their plots. The owners of mountain pastures or meadows in altitudes can distill the gentian root therein.

Distillation must be legally in a public workshop or with a professional boiler believed. Many towns have a Comtoises distillation workshop, however, it is possible to distill in another town of the canton, or even the neighboring canton. You must book the still. For beginners, it is advisable to be assisted during the first use of the still.

There is also possibility to have a proxy for distilling. Let me explain: your neighbor (or your uncle, colleague) has an orchard. You reap the fruits and made ferment (at home, at worst you). He made the declaration to the Customs for distilling and gives you power of attorney to perform the distillation (party fill the doc). He then payroll taxes.

So you have distilled legally. Then nothing prevents that for the work, your neighbor gives you a part of the water of life, see all (the compensation charge) but it is an arrangement that everyone will do in his free will. Personally, this is what I do, because the orchard belongs to my mother. It gives me power of attorney. Everything is perfectly legal.

Ranking of orchard land:
You must own an orchard or a vineyard to be distilled. The terrain should be noted on the land registry. There is possibility to change the terrain by contacting the land registry. A form must be completed. It'll only plant fruit trees on it. You will then have the pleasure of distilling and drink your brandy (in moderation).

distillation declaration
It is mandatory to perform a distillation declaration before distilling. A document is requested from Customs or town hall of your place of residence.

On this document, we must mention the plot number where fruit trees is, the common land and the municipality where the distillation will be, the nature of fruit distillation and volume (eg 100 kg of prunes 180 liters of cider), the date and the scheduled hours of distillation (from Monday to Saturday, except Sunday and holidays, from 06h00 to 19h00 of 1er 31 October to April is displayed in the town hall). We must send this document to customs.

Customs then return a document authorizing me to be distilled, circulate with alcohol and fruit on the day of distillation. On this document, we should mention the start time, end time of each pass in the still, the quantities in the still and the number of liters and the alcohol content product.

There is no set return (except Alsace Moselle or the payment of taxes is anticipated). This box is present on the document, but the customs authorities do not check mark. However, it should be logical and do not declare having produced one liter of brandy with 45 100 ° kilos of departure quality fruit. This is of course too blatant.

Payment of fees:
-People with the privilege do not pay the first thousand degrees (or 20 liters of brandy 50 °). They pay from 1001ème degrees 14 50 € per liter of pure alcohol. They save up to € 72,50 (A look at the money that is put each year in cigarettes, unnecessary travel in cars, some unnecessary or frivolous purchases, some alcohol trade that are sometimes of poor quality ... the privilege sometimes hangs by little .... These words n are mine)

-People who do not have the privilege (In my case) pay € 1000 7 25 first degrees per liter of pure alcohol. Then from the 1001ème degrees 14 50 € per liter of pure alcohol. There 10% discount if paid within three days after distillation.

-Rental of the still Each municipality sets a rental price at the day of the still: it takes into account water use, electricity, the maintenance ...

Customs control :
Customs may check at several levels:
-Check That the plot in question is registered in the land registry in orchards, vineyards. Checking the owner.

-Check Field that reported good fruits from a tree in the plot (if you distill prunes, while your orchard does not have plum .....). If you need to cut down fruit trees, make the following distillation of fruit.

-The Day of distillation: Customs verify the quantity and type of fruit used, the amount of water of life and the alcoholic degree obtained. They also check the resilience of the declaration sheet (the times of filling and emptying of a still are complete with the amount of alcohol produced)

My cost:
I calculated roughly the cost of a liter of brandy that I produce (in 45 °). I included in this calculation rent of communal still, the alcohol tax, amortization of my equipment (barrels, carboys, bottles ...), the snacks, firewood. It is true that I do not count my past hours, but this is for fun (do not forget the).

Finally, it comes to me about 10 12 € per liter of brandy to 45 °. It is a short, maybe, but the prices in the trade are not lower. FYI, it is useless not to declare to Customs one or two liters of alcohol, because the risk is very high for this gesture that reveals rather misplaced stinginess

This one shot, but it is within the law, we can talk about and taste our product with anyone, we do live and maintained to the conservation of a heritage that is disappearing.

rural heritage concept to keep
Distillation indirectly allows the maintenance is conservation orchards, often forgotten rural heritage. Many species of apples, pears, cherries, plums ... were high and have own specified in our region.

We must also preserve the know-how, especially in the preparation of fruit in the conduct of distillation.

For us to maintain these traditions.

Gilbert
0 x
My new site: www.arcetsenans.com
My passion : www.cloches.org - My Videos: http://fr.youtube.com/user/gpainblanc - my support : www.smam.info

"It is only a real luxury, and it is that of human relations" St Exupéry
ARC AND SENANS
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by ARC AND SENANS » 01/02/09, 08:42

Here are two articles of Progress (edition of Jura), very boring in my opinion. Including the notion of privilege

Good reading

THE PROGRESS dispatches
http://www.leprogres.fr

Article Monday January 21 2008

distillers: the privilege dies hard

Small gift of the law of 2008 finances, the privilege of distillers, which was to end in January 1 2008er, is pushed back five years. Anyway, the production of pure alcohol does not represent much in the Jura. The privilege is 54 hectoliters in the Jura.

We have no idea why that fact is in the law of finances -votée 2008 in the fall dernier- an amendment slipped to repel five years late distillers privilege. gift tax? Not really, pure alcohol distilled from these boilers "historic" is peanuts, especially in the Jura. Some people would rather electoral ulterior motives. In small towns, the still, it counts and repel due regard so few people, I do not eat bread

In fact, what is it? In reality, things are quite complex. There is a famous article 315 of the General Tax Code which grants holders the right to distill a privilege accorded to exempt completely loads for 1 000 first degrees (or if alcohol bottles 20 50 title °). Then they have to pay like the others, that is to say 14,5 euros per liter. These "historical privileged" can distill fruit (apple, plum) but marc and wine. And then there are also the article 316 which allows orchard owners -and only them- distilling fresh fruit from their orchard -and only the leur- paying half price (that is to say 7,25 euros) for their first thousand degrees, but beware, some as others must in no case be distilled for commercial purposes. It is their personal production Anyway, in theory. In other words, for short, there will be in the same town in old boilers that do not pay tax by gift and others that will do the same job with the same fruit, but pay half price. A terrible discrimination, unacceptable
Stop laughing, department weighs the famous privilege "peanuts". Exempt blessed produced for the campaign 2006 / 2007 54 few hectoliters, the other so-called "assimilated" by the administration produced 92

Better, the total quantity of pure alcohol produced in the Jura by professional the same year rose to 839 hectoliters. A drop-if one can say- compared to 7 384 hectoliters distilled in Haute-Saône! (I must say that there exists the Cowardly distillery that produces a lot, especially for export).

So where we are. It must also be said to be quite complete, it is that historical boilers will soon count on the fingers of a few hands. In the wine villages, they are already contained relics. It must be said that their age is there for something!
Armand Spicher
aspicher@leprogres.fr

-------------------------------------------------- ------------------------------
Émile Bourguignon: "We were two boilers at home"
Not disrupted more than that, Émile That privilege is preserved five years older, it really works not: "In the past, this right was more important than now because people were attentive to all the little savings that they could do. It represents 20 liter drop 50 ° on which you pay nothing. This is important and at the same time, it is not! Today, if a grower needs this for a living, it is better that it stops its business. The privilege discomfort those who do not have because we are all a little "wallet", but this is not important, those who moan do by habit, because it's fashionable. You should know that it was Napoleon who invented so that people enjoy some of their work. 20 liters, I do not make a disease. "
In 81 years, Émile Bourguignon remembers receiving his law -his privilege as dit- to 18 years: "My parents had bought me a small vineyard, 18 acres, I would have preferred a bicycle. It had bisquer in the town to have two boilers in the same family, 40 liters, we passed them they are served to friends. "In his time, as he says, Emile remembers that they were almost thirty to have the privilege, but for him Vincelles was never really" connected "gout" The village has the most beautiful still, this is the town that was built within the public workshop, but when he was ready, key stakeholders do not want, they preferred to boil at home. It's 30 years, he never has. People of Vincelles are not rabid gout! "
Emile has officially retired three years ago. Between parts of ponies at the club and the monitoring of its wine casks, it gently flows the stock: "I am the oldest vineyard in business, I no longer work my 6,5 hectares of vines, but I'm still in my basement .
Gout, formerly we asked in fraud, but not now. Anyway, I always refused! "

AS

To meditate
0 x
My new site: www.arcetsenans.com

My passion : www.cloches.org - My Videos: http://fr.youtube.com/user/gpainblanc - my support : www.smam.info

"It is only a real luxury, and it is that of human relations" St Exupéry
Christophe

by Christophe » 01/02/09, 13:28

These are .pdf versions of these items 2:

a) 2 items in Progres

b) Reminders on French law distillation

ps: I removed the direct link to the email to avoid spamming.
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 01/02/09, 16:41

it is not necessary to measure the temperature

it is especially necessary adjust the heating power for the separation of the product is maximum

The practical problem is to know exactly what to eliminate at the beginning or end

a good solution is the receuillir distilat in small bottle numbered in orde ca or fate, ca helps make the decision about what we keep later, depending on the degree of smell, taste to see what is clear and what is cloudy ...

taste the first bottle has very strong degree is useless: it is too strong and you feel nothing, and may be stuffed before understanding

it is more instructive to dilluer a small part of each bottle to bring back to 10% alcohol: one can see that the head and the tail really different taste: bring all the same sample% alcohol helps compare completezment taste without being deceived by the alcohol level

the diluted sample are not lost, they may be redistilled with the next distillation
0 x
Surrend
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

Still with a pressure cooker

by Surrend » 13/12/13, 19:30

jonule wrote:there is also equipped cocotte minute method of a choo-choo and a pressure relief valve (almost mandatory if a pear-end butcher comes out the choo-choo), a pipe sticking out of the right of some choo-choo cm, an angle of 135 ° I believe, then redencente on a coil, air cooled or water ...
cooling (gently, too, is not fuel but the water VIE) vapors condense and fall drip.
beautiful illustrations on old dicos.

you have to climb VERY progrssevement t ° C if you want quality, with good fruit, to 88 ° c I think to separate the alcohol from the rest (of the water), you need a thermometer in direct output vapors .
let the first drops piss it's dangerous methanol for approximately 50ml 10kg of frutis?
then separate the drops falling with gender lenses No. 1, 2 No. etc, ranked from strong + at + low in alcohol content, dripping in the As or with alcoolmètre (20 €?). and was different contents alccol, brandy to the water, not to keep either the purpose of distillation.
we can re-distill Lots times.

What is distilled?
take good pears not damaged, cut the tails and pile them in a WATERPROOF drum (be careful with the lids which have small holes like the waste vegetable oil drum cleaned, buy new "maceration drum" 50 or 60L), crush the everything and let macerate. every day, stir everything with a suitable accessory made for the occasion, until it no longer ferments, formation of a black layer on the surface: it's time to distil, otherwise keep WATERPROOF.

voila, I've seen him do a grandfather like that which explained 2 or 3 stuff!
the best is to see a pro, those who do it legally and show you gladly!
I don't know if "vintage boiler" is in the directory ;-)

A plan for such an achievement? I'm in the sticks, I have at my disposal a rather large pressure cooker which I have adapted a gas pipe, the fitting is perfect, I hacked a bubbler with a small plastic bottle, I have a try making a hydrometer, I think use two syringes that I would delete the beaks, I'll stick to each other (with a glue gun) in which I enprisonerais some liquid (if you have advice about this, they are welcome)
Thank you in advance and wish me luck : Mrgreen:
0 x
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 13/12/13, 21:51

make a hydrometer is not easy: if it is not welded one piece of glass its volume or weight changes no matter how

original solution: a dive weight in alcohol to measure suspended by a thin wire and utilser a small electronic scale for measuring the apparent weight: archimede thanks to the reduction of weight when it is submerged to calculate the density

with a rather sensitive electronic balance the weight can be little more easy to measure small amount

the suspended weight must be perfectly smooth and non-porous: a stainless steel piece of simple form

it must also be able to easily wipe measure its non submerged weight without being skewed by a drop that hangs there

it is also possible not to tare the balance in the air, but in pure water: thus measures the weight difference between water and alcohol to be measured: no need wipe
0 x
Surrend
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Surrend » 14/12/13, 12:04

chatelot16 wrote:make a hydrometer is not easy: if it is not welded one piece of glass its volume or weight changes no matter how

original solution: a dive weight in alcohol to measure suspended by a thin wire and utilser a small electronic scale for measuring the apparent weight: archimede thanks to the reduction of weight when it is submerged to calculate the density

with a rather sensitive electronic balance the weight can be little more easy to measure small amount

the suspended weight must be perfectly smooth and non-porous: a stainless steel piece of simple form

it must also be able to easily wipe measure its non submerged weight without being skewed by a drop that hangs there

it is also possible not to tare the balance in the air, but in pure water: thus measures the weight difference between water and alcohol to be measured: no need wipe

Thank you for these valuable advice, someone would have it a detailed plan to make any still with a pressure cooker?

Thank you in advance : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 13/01/14, 14:35

New to the shop!

A small copper still hammered for essential oils, discover the distillation or doing various experiments ...

0 x