Time drying wood heating

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Christophe

Re: Heating wood drying time

by Christophe » 24/02/20, 21:32

Ah yes sorry I forgot this clarification ...

But if you put it in an already very hot hearth of embers ... I imagine that it burns all the same at least in part ...
Fireproof does not mean incombustible!

A try would be interesting!

But all this is no longer drying ... but conservation!
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 24/02/20, 21:35

Christophe wrote:Ah yes sorry I forgot this clarification ...

But if you put it in an already very hot hearth of embers ... I imagine that it burns all the same at least in part ...
Fireproof does not mean incombustible! << Indeed, but what I noticed in a burnt down farmhouse was remarkable, the beams in question had a cross of 0.5 cm and the underside was intact!

A try would be interesting! <<< I haven't kept any of this ...

But all this is no longer drying ... but conservation! <<< Insofar as they put the green wood in the bed of the river ;, it's a bit of both!
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/02/20, 21:46

The timber is generally resistant in buildings victims of fire: the wood is naturally insulating and the charcoal even more ... It is only the small woods which burn easily in these cases.
I remember that the users of crappy inserts (almost an oxymoron!) Post electric toaster had for ideal logs in 50 cm, split very large (or not!) And not too dry (!), Because it is these characteristics which allowed them to regulate combustion!: shock: ... anything!
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/02/20, 21:48

We're going to deviate, but how could Notre Dame have blazed in this case?
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 24/02/20, 21:57

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:We're going to deviate, but how could Notre Dame have blazed in this case?

It's sabotage, not an accident (Plot mode: "on") : Wink:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/02/20, 22:31

I did say "generally". It goes without saying that in particular cases, the rise in temperature is such that, despite this resistance, everything ends up being consumed. I do not know the circumstances and the specifics of this fire and therefore I would not comment on it. Perhaps the great height of the building contributed to increasing the air intake (chimney effect)?
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
yves35
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by yves35 » 24/02/20, 22:59

Good evening,

Ahmed wrote:I did say "generally". It goes without saying that in particular cases, the rise in temperature is such that, despite this resistance, everything ends up being consumed. I do not know the circumstances and the specifics of this fire and therefore I would not comment on it. Perhaps the great height of the building contributed to increasing the air intake (chimney effect)?

"oven" effect no doubt ... (lead roof, therefore closed)

about drying oak; we used in shipbuilding oak that we had to chop a few (tens) of years by drowning weighted logs in the mud. The aim was to rid the wood of the tannin that was eating the nails (iron in fact). Wood was not made stronger

yves
0 x
ignored: obamot, janic, guygadebois... air, air. We are not (yet) on Qanon Ben, if in fact
Did67

by Did67 » 25/02/20, 09:37

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Storage by immersion or watering is still practiced.

Type "FIBA fiba method of preserving logs" and you will arrive on a pdf.

But it was on TV a lot after the Lothar storm.

They kept the wood by watering it.

It is always done a few km from my home (one of the large softwood sawmills in Europe).

It is quite another thing: it is a question of preserving logs against certain parasites, then sawing them in boards, slats, rafters. Then treat them. Then dry them in ovens. In no case to dry chuaffage wood!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/02/20, 11:06

Did67 wrote:It is always done a few km from my home (one of the large softwood sawmills in Europe).

It is quite another thing: it is a question of preserving logs against certain parasites, then sawing them in boards, slats, rafters. Then treat them. Then dry them in ovens. In no case to dry chuaffage wood!

That's right, I mentioned it briefly above and you can certainly confirm that once the wood is sawn, it never gets watered again! And it is stored away from the rain!
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 25/02/20, 12:16

Did67 wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Storage by immersion or watering is still practiced.

Type "FIBA fiba method of preserving logs" and you will arrive on a pdf.

But it was on TV a lot after the Lothar storm.

They kept the wood by watering it.

It is always done a few km from my home (one of the large softwood sawmills in Europe).

Yes yes absolutely, nothing to do with drying as we talked about it previously.

I was just responding to an aside : Mrgreen:

Although as Guy said it all depends on what we mean by drying but we are not going to play on words it's already quite complicated like that.

And is the sap / water difference a style or a real twist?
0 x