Time drying wood heating

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Heating wood drying time

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/02/20, 16:26

Christophe wrote:
Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:or so I did not get what is very possible .... : Mrgreen:

This table indicates the residual humidity in the wood according to the temperature and the% RH of drying ... after a certain time or a certain time ...

As I said above: it takes only a few hours to dry large sections of wood at heart in an industrial oven. So temperature and% RH count a lot more in drying wood than time.

For those who think that wood dries faster in the rain ... hum hum ... well it's like saying that you can cook an egg at 70 ° C while waiting long enough ...

Ok it's a little clearer

But the question is not so much if the wood dries better in the rain or if the wood dries better outside in normal weather conditions with rain or not and all for 2 years.
0 x
dede2002
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by dede2002 » 24/02/20, 17:22

Wood dries better in the rain, if it does not rain :P So "normal" weather conditions are not the same for everyone ...

Otherwise, even if it's -20 ° it dries! it's called sublimation. I have already had the experience of drying sheets at -20 °, at the beginning it's like a sheet, we tap on it and it sounds, and the next day it's perfectly dry :)
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/02/20, 19:21

There I received my cubic meters.

At the next cut I take half of each log which I separate into 2 piles and forward.

Appointment with the moisture meter in 2 years : Mrgreen:
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 24/02/20, 19:41

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:There I received my cubic meters.

At the next cut I take half of each log which I separate into 2 piles and forward.

Appointment with the moisture meter in 2 years : Mrgreen:

It will be a pleasure to follow your experiments, as usual. But there it is first of all over a year, and not two, that we must see the difference, well I think ..
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 24/02/20, 19:42

You will need to provide weighings - the moisture meter is very approximate, with uncertainties probably greater than the foreseeable deviations.
0 x
Adrien (ex-nico239)
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Adrien (ex-nico239) » 24/02/20, 19:57

Did67 wrote:You will need to provide weighings - the moisture meter is very approximate, with uncertainties probably greater than the foreseeable deviations.

Ah ok I thought the instrument reliable ...

Okay, I’ll see for the weighings and take a diameter that doesn’t crush Ms.’s kitchen scale Image
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 24/02/20, 19:59

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:
Did67 wrote:You will need to provide weighings - the moisture meter is very approximate, with uncertainties probably greater than the foreseeable deviations.

Ah ok I thought the instrument reliable ...

Okay, I’ll see for the weighings and take a diameter that doesn’t crush Ms.’s kitchen scale Image

With a log of one meter by thirty in diameter, the scales of Madame will not like, I feel!
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/02/20, 20:03

Adrien (ex-nico239) wrote:If you do google image firewood almost all of the photos of the storage areas are outdoors.

For firewood yes it is because it is a lower added value ... although many steres in drying have sheets on it all the same!

For timber, drying in the open air is much less frequent! Only the logs are stored in the open air ... Once the boards, joist or plank (etc) are cut ... the storage is done at least sheltered from the rain (open warehouse) ...
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 24/02/20, 20:06

Christophe wrote:For timber, drying in the open air is much less frequent!

"Before", beams were dried in rivers. result: The silica or calcite (limestone) took the place of sap, the wood weighed a dead donkey and it became rot-proof, unassailable by insects and fireproof! Wasn't life beautiful?
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 24/02/20, 20:07

dede2002 wrote:Otherwise, even if it's -20 ° it dries! it's called sublimation. I have already had the experience of drying sheets at -20 °, at the beginning it's like a sheet, we tap on it and it sounds, and the next day it's perfectly dry :)

Again this is a story of hydrometric balance! The air is much drier at -20 ° C ... so yes the cold is good for drying ... provided there is wind!

View mollier diagram

I don't know if cryogenic drying is used by industrialists ... It is certainly harder to cool to -20 ° C and to ventilate than to heat to 60 ° C without ventilating ...
0 x