Aromatic plants: culture, cooking and uses

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Aromatic plants: culture, cooking and uses

by the middle » 20/03/12, 08:39

Hello,
Often aromatic goes hand in hand with medicinal. So very important.
One day, I had a bad cold, and a grandpa told me, it's your fault, you have to make tea every day, with a max of good plants. (advice taken), prevention is better than cure.
Each year, I try to have a maximum of these plants in my garden.
And, Rosemary is one of them.
But now, when the winter is too strong, rosemary freezes and dies (this is the second time this has happened to me).
How do you manage to preserve it.
Second question,
Thyme... at my place, it dies very slowly, no plant stands at my place, I believe that the problem comes from the ground. Do you need soil like heather?
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/03/12, 09:06

You boasted la sauge also a few months ago.

I made a square of aromatics (sage, laurel, rosemary) in my greenhouse, attached to the house, orientation EAST. It is not frost-free (I lost a kumquat again this winter ...) but it seems to hold ...

My plant thyme is outside, facing south, and it's holding up. Correct growth. Our earth is acidic. (I measured at 5.5!)

La lavender a few meters away cannot say the same ... it remains stunted ...

If you want we can exchange some photos ...

Are there no old factories around your house? There was a case in Liege where the soil was polluted by old industrial sites ... Vegetable products were much more harmful than the worst supermarket product treated with pesticides or other chemicals ...

ps: we could organize a seed exchange between members of forums, I have had it in mind for a long time and we have already done it with delnoram ...
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 20/03/12, 09:32

ps: we could organize a seed exchange between members of forums, I have had it in mind for a long time and we have already done it with delnoram ...

This idea is to be explored.
Example: the current tomatoes are no longer tasting. (Mosanto?)
Before, it was a real treat
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 20/03/12, 09:39

It was precisely with tomatoes that we made it with del! :)

The Crimean Black! Excellent!
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Aromatic plants; cultivation and uses

by dedeleco » 20/03/12, 12:57

lejustemilieu wrote:Hello,
And, Rosemary is one of them.
But now, when the winter is too strong, rosemary freezes and dies (this is the second time this has happened to me).
How do you manage to preserve it.

It is resistant to frost and quite cold in the Paris region.
Also, it must have been very cold in your house.
You have to put it south side in the sun.
But we protect with thick insulating veils, in several layers, full of insulating air with a thickness of less than 1cm (similar to double glazing) which keep the heat coming out of the earth, and even by burying in earth or potting soil.
Ordinary rosemary (there are several species) is really ultra easy, resistant, ultra easy to cut or lay, by burying stems cut during pruning, in potting soil and soil, and therefore very very easy to keep and multiply all over.
Any bit of rosemary buried, kept a little moist, takes and gives a new foot. (like many other plants, forsythia, honeysuckle, ivy, jasmine, ordinary roses, etc.)

Second question,
Thyme... at my place, it dies very slowly, no plant stands at my place, I believe that the problem comes from the ground. Do you need soil like heather?

Thyn is more finicky, much less resistant than rosemary. the location does not please him. not necessarily heather. He likes the earth with pebbles and corners of rock where not much else grows.

The pollution of industrial sites, even, on neighboring lands (miles around, with dioxins, cadmium, arsenic, radioactivity, etc.) is serious in France and elsewhere like Japan, USA, Germany.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 03/02/13, 11:14

Summary table: https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-plante ... 12266.html (not necessarily all antiobiotics but all good for health)
0 x
julien12
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by julien12 » 10/10/14, 09:46

Christophe wrote:Summary table: https://www.econologie.com/forums/les-plante ... 12266.html (not necessarily all antiobiotics but all good for health)

Thank you for the painting Christophe. It's really cool from you :D
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"