Reflection on edible plants

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Reflection on edible plants

by elephant » 04/08/13, 08:01

In trimming my hedge, this weekend, I made the following reflection:

"It's annoying: inedible species (grass, hedge, bindweed) grow over and over again (causing elimination problems) and it is extremely difficult to grow edibles"

Is it true ?
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

Re: Reflection on edible plants

by hic » 04/08/13, 08:37

elephant wrote:In trimming my hedge, this weekend, I made the following reflection:

"It's annoying: inedible species (grass, hedge, bindweed) grow over and over again (causing elimination problems) and it is extremely difficult to grow edibles"

Is it true ?

Hedges are no problem!

Rural hedges rather than cedar hedges, fir
all ... Why?
*** http://www.parc-oise-paysdefrance.fr/fi ... mpetre.pdf ***

keyword:
edible hedge, evergreen, native species
Last edited by hic the 04 / 08 / 13, 09: 18, 6 edited once.
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 04/08/13, 08:54

elephant hello
In trimming my hedge, this weekend, I made the following reflection:

Is it true ?

edible species are "immigrants" to a place which is not their natural place of growth, which is not the case with "wild" species which reinvest in their natural place when humans have laid bare a ground .
then, the variety of hedges is used by birds and other forms of life to nest, protect themselves, and produce food that is not necessarily consumable by humans. So planting hedges or fruit trees for human consumption only represents an ecologically unbalanced selection and will allow the proliferation of "parasites" which will devour human production and which will then have to be treated. (but between that and nothing, the first solution is the best!)
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 04/08/13, 09:02

I don't think "fruits", I think foliage and grass.

Because fruits usually make up a very small part of the total volume.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
hic
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by hic » 04/08/13, 09:26

elephant wrote:I don't think "fruits", I think foliage and grass.

Because fruits usually make up a very small part of the total volume.

For your case, I have a tip!

Organic lawn mower

Bonus: + 2 organic eggs / day + organic fertilizer without composting + organic insectiside + organic slug control!

Two hens in a cage,
move the cage regularly

with sun visor and drink and rest area please
: Mrgreen:
Last edited by hic the 04 / 08 / 13, 09: 45, 7 edited once.
0 x
"Let food be thy medicine and thy medicine be thy food" Hippocrates
"Everything has a price has no value" Nietzche
Torture for Dummies
Forbid to express the idea that the field is acceleration (magnetic and gravitational)
And you get your patent mental torture option executioner successfully
Did67

by Did67 » 04/08/13, 09:27

Two remarks:

a) The "edible" species have been the fruit of selection for millennia: man has exerted a "selection pressure" taking as seed the seeds of the "most productive plant on his plot" ... Thus, was born the cultivated local variety, distant descendant of a wild species.

The wild species was and still is able to fend for itself - otherwise it would never have existed. She survived a "selection pressure" exerted by nature: the soil, the climate, predators ...

The resulting variety lost some of these aptitudes, to the benefit of greater productivity (which interested man, who in return had "eliminated" certain factors of selection pressure: he was weeding, perhaps fertilizing. - ashes, clearing ...).

What you observe is therefore "normal"! Selection did not appear with hybrids and then GMOs. Since he started farming, at a very slow pace (for centuries), man has selected! This is called "mass selection".

2) With the exception of a few annoying species, you can "include" these "sweeps" in your system: hedges can indeed produce fruits (hazelnuts, wild roses); they maintain biodiversity (not everything can be useful to humans!); finally, if it is deciduous, they can be the source of BRF (fragmented raméal wood) which protects and fertilizes your soil!

Other species are more difficult to value: bindweed? thistles? milk?

But some if: the goosefoot can be valued as a form of wild spinach, very resistant to drought; picked young, they can be a base of tart green sauces like sorrel! We are not all Marc Veyrat, but we can draw inspiration from it !!!
0 x
moinsdewatt
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Reflection on edible plants

by moinsdewatt » 04/08/13, 13:36

elephant wrote:In trimming my hedge, this weekend, I made the following reflection:

Is it true ?

Try the zucchini.
Works every time.

Watch out for slugs when the zucchini plant is very small.
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 08/08/13, 18:33

Ah! I'll try the zucchini: we love it and the ones on the market are always too big :D

But still no hedge or really edible lawn: some fruit is good, but it's nothing compared to the amounts of mowing or cutting. It is not tomorrow that I will solve the problem of world hunger ... : Cry:
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 08/08/13, 19:13

For the hedge, mixtures of hardwoods give you hazelnuts and above all, berries for birds ...

One or two elderberries will be black with aphids in the spring, suddenly, you will see ladybugs replicate ... You put 20 meters from the garden, suddenly you "raise" aphids which will feed the ladybugs which will clean the aphids in your garden ...

Do not think only of man.

My lawn, I make paths, a "garden table" area, a "clothes rack" area (which I mow). Elsewhere, I let go in wild flowers. I don't mow. Suddenly, it roars all summer: bees / bumblebees and lots of other browsers that I meet but that I do not know (some mafgiques: blue wings with red spots; I crossed a "mega-bumblebee" all black Brilliant! It is delightful. It is magnificent ...

This is called in one big word: biodiversity.

With a late mowing (otherwise it turns into a brush), you let the seeds ripen before "mowing" with the rotofil (the shaking makes the seeds fall). Year after year, your "lawn" is enriched with flowers: blueberries, gnothies, centauries, St. John's wort ... And will welcome more and more insects.

I am always surprised to see how many people criticize the use of herbicides by farmers (who live off their production) and the monotony of corn fields and strive at home when they are free (they do not do not live on it!) to have a monospecific lawn as sterile as a golf lawn!

If one in two house owners did so, certain butterflies that were in danger of disappearing would no longer be threatened ... Of course, there are still ultra-specific species, for which the only plant they live on must be grown ...

You may have to endure the disapproving eye of the neighbor, who first takes you for a pretender. A few beers further on, he will try to make it interesting, hopefully. Not enough to do the same, so far! But I do not despair. And I see that its regadr to change ...
0 x
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 09/08/13, 18:15

Superb intervention, Did! Thank you !

I just spent a week walking in the high Alps, and even the banks of the Haute Sambre: what joy!
I will try to convince bobonne: I have just broken the concrete path in the garden (vestige of the 1st owner) to create a lawn in one go, but edges with wild flowers, why not (my "lawn" is fine. make 25 m²!)
0 x

Back to "Sustainable consumption: responsible consumption, diet tips and tricks"