Barbecue: consume less charcoal

Consumption and sustainable and responsible diet tips daily to reduce energy and water consumption, waste ... Eat: preparations and recipes, find healthy food, seasonal and local conservation information food ...
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Barbecue: consume less charcoal

by Leo Maximus » 17/06/08, 18:36

To save charcoal barbecue I water the ember in the water (rain obviously) immediately after removing the grill. The next day, the remaining charcoal is dry enough to be reused.

I reduced my consumption of charcoal from 30 to 40%.
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 17/06/08, 18:38

All the same :) even if Christine does not like it.

The best is to mist with a sprayer to not drown the coals (and thermal shock for the bbq).

ps: it even creates a bit of H2 :)
0 x
Superform
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Superform » 18/06/08, 11:57

: Shock: : Evil: : Shock:

To use less charcoal, I do my barbecue ... wood!

it takes a lot of wood to embers, but in the end, it's better no?

Well, when it is in an environment that does not lend itself to it, charcoal is the top, but otherwise ...
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 18/06/08, 12:07

Christophe wrote:All the same :) even if Christine does not like it.

Yeah...
It is especially that I do not like to see our barbecue completely screwed up because of uncontrolled flames ... and for finally too little embers for the cooking ... the guests who wait ... the shouting ...

AND DO NOT DISCLAIM !!! : Evil:

Well, a good idea of ​​the subject for the forum : how to get rid of a super effective barbecue: that's applied econology :D
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 18/06/08, 12:14

Superform wrote:To use less charcoal, I do my barbecue ... wood!

(...)

Well, when it is in an environment that does not lend itself to it, charcoal is the top, but otherwise ...

We also most of the time (cf the remark of christine it is true that it morflé with the flames ... pfff paint of poop :() but the remark is valid with any type of embers ...

Otherwise the charcoal sold for the bbq is "prepared" wood (= dried and precooked :Dit's not coal ...
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 18/06/08, 12:20

Hello,
To have tested it with friends, I recommend the use of coconut charcoal balls, a batch "burns" for 3 hours, but we can extinguish before everything is consumed.
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Leo Maximus » 18/06/08, 13:32

I also use the wood but it burns very quickly, it heats too hard and you have to put a lot. It should be noted that charcoal is generally not softwood, mine is oak.

There are people who use wood pallets (!) For the barbecue while it is a treated wood. I guess it does not have to be very good for your health.
0 x
Bibiphoque
I posted 500 messages!
I posted 500 messages!

by Bibiphoque » 18/06/08, 13:43

Leo Maximus wrote:I also use the wood but it burns very quickly, it heats too hard and you have to put a lot. It should be noted that charcoal is generally not softwood, mine is oak.

There are people who use wood pallets (!) For the barbecue while it is a treated wood. I guess it does not have to be very good for your health.

Hello,
Nan, the pallet wood is not ideal.
The best charcoal with us in Europe are those from oaks, ash and beech (funny all the names with an "ê")
@+
0 x
This is not because we always said that it is impossible that we should not try :)
Matt113
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Matt113 » 18/06/08, 13:48

I start the fire with small wood and big branches to make a nice little bundle of embers and a layer of coal over all to make embers that last longer.
0 x
Gregconstruct
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Gregconstruct » 03/09/08, 19:56

Me, I take a mixture of kerosene and waste oil to light an old tire and zou, go for grilling ... : Cheesy:

Nah, I'm joking!!!

The technique of extinguishing the embers once the grilling is finished is an inexorable logic.
But another thing is important to save fuel is the type of barbecue.
If you are using a barbeca that is made from thick metal like a R_d B__l can, you will have to use more charcoal than a firebrick masonry barbeque or even a massive cast iron barbecue.
Even a barbecue in the wild with the grid on beautiful big stones is very effective to save fuel!
0 x
Every action counts for our planet !!!