How I try to improve my judgment (thanks to Julia Galef and FLUS)

philosophical debates and companies.
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: How I try to improve my judgment (thanks to Julia Galef and FLUS)

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 29/07/21, 14:38

You can also spend a good part of your life asking yourself the simple question: "Whether He exists or not, I don't care, but what is God for me?"
It is easy to see that each time I ask the question to believers or non-believers, almost no one answers it because almost no one has asked this question. To leave this "concept" as it is to believe or not to believe is for me as much a laziness of the mind as a practical existential facilitation.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 29/07/21, 16:41

In all theological strictness, God does not exist since existence is a limitation ... 8) It is more legitimate to wonder about what it represents in the eyes of believers or non-believers: the definitions are quite elastic and the most embarrassing for me are those which are too oriented towards a literal interpretation.
God or not, this brings us back to what I mentioned above: at a given moment, there is no way to perfectly justify a basic postulate and because of its necessity, this necessarily leads to an act of faith ( not often conscious) which should make us modest. If it is integrated, this postulate can be considered as a provisional keystone that will lead the reflection that will result from it and, then, towards a possible architectural rework: the important thing is to start from something and see what it is. given; there is always an experimental character, because even if there are, fortunately, predecessors, it is important that a personal opinion is formed within the collective.

* This is always desirable, because the error is part of this process.
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 29/07/21, 18:44

Son Of God.JPG
FilsDeDieu.JPG (76.22 KiB) Viewed 1731 times
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 29/07/21, 19:42

Ah!

Regarding God, here is what I say.

Can a God (a higher entity with purposes of its own) exist? Sure. Can we understand it, guess its intentions?
until then it is fair!
Write that in a .... book ?! That would be considered absolute? Seems very, very arrogant and outlandish to me.
this book has nothing absolute, it serves to become aware of this unattainable absolute, although real since it is designated by language.
If I am told that a religious book is above all a message, an allegory, free to interpret, that suits me very well. It is therefore a vision of the world on subjects that we cannot prove, in short.
on the contrary, the aim of this book, like all the others of the same kind, is to have a daily scope on its different aspects, on various material subjects such as food, hygiene, social behavior, etc. .. related to this beyond!
If I am told that the truth is written in the book because it translates the will of God, I do not even try to argue! (but I've never been faced with this before, IRL)
as a sign Ahmed, "Do not believe what I say to you"to which I add control it by yourselves. We can take as an example the case of so-called alternative medicine. To have heard about it for good as for bad, can only lead to having preconceived ideas by our current technological culture and its limits, such as the number of Avogadro! We can also compare that about the covid, we can only know something by a personal experimental approach.
I will qualify all the same by emphasizing the fact that if these texts have survived so long, it is good that they still have some virtues.
The literati in Hebrew say that the reality of God (with a small d not a big D) is verified in History, by the very history of this people.
For the rest ... we have to accept that certain subjects are by our nature, unprovable, incomprehensible, subject to interpretation. You can't prove everything. And, maybe it's happy!
It is indeed wise and at the same time silly. Who would refuse to travel to see other horizons than that of everyday life? It is the role of theology in particular to go beyond the usual religious discourse!
Try to disregard a "religious" vision of the subject. It is a question of underlining, indeed, that all does not pass by demonstrable proof by the technological means at our disposal, hence the comparison with other postulates, different, such as nothingness, infinity the absolute and whatnot like chance or love, of which we use the concept even when we are precisely incapable to explain them and even less to demonstrate them.
For the work in question, it must be placed in its historical and philosophical context and then its inscription in writings like any subject of life, as do all historians of all times. For the provable side, it is much more difficult if we precisely want to look for “proofs” with the usual means of technology, when it is not made for that!

Ahmed »29 / 07 / 21, 16: 41
In all theological strictness, God does not exist since existence is a limitation ...
Yes and no at the same time. For us, what we call limitation is done in relation, here again, to our concepts of measures, relative moreover. Even the universe is only perceived in terms of dimension, such as 14.5 light years. It is therefore necessary to disregard sizes, dimensions, time and therefore any dimensioned representation.
To take one of the examples given: what can be the dimension of love or of chance? Each is however widely used in everyday language to literally express what cannot be.
It is more legitimate to wonder about what it represents in the eyes of believers or non-believers: the definitions are quite elastic and the most embarrassing for me are those which are too oriented towards a literal interpretation.
Indeed, it is like the metaphors of the fables of the fountain, which in no way claims that the kings and vassels are really these animals, but they symbolize the behaviors (mental, spiritual, each one designates this as he wishes) corresponding to realities to be taken literally, they.

Thus, for the quoted love, (and not the sex) which would be only a simple sight of the abstract mind, and I am not speaking here ONLY of humans, which is expressed and can only be expressed in the matter of which all are formed. Which brings us back to its material as well as spiritual aspect: what is its origin?
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré