Evolution of thought systems, myths and beliefs in history.

philosophical debates and companies.
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Evolution of thought systems, myths and beliefs in history.

by humus » 07/01/22, 14:00

Janic wrote:humus »07/01/22, 10:53
Janic wrote:
Their only common point is to believe because it is anchored in the culture of peoples, including those who say or pretend not to believe. : roll:
It is especially easier, less headache to believe in God or to believe that there is nothing.
Few seriously and honestly explore the subject.
On the contrary, not asking yourself questions, which are fundamental, is much simpler, and even simplifying, than asking yourself questions (even partially insoluble). If some had not asked themselves the question of the roundness of the earth, of heliocentrism; we would still be at the flat earth and the earth at the center of the universe which are in the visible.

PS: I was not thinking only of believing in a religious discourse, but well on a daily basis, and on many subjects like vaccine or not vaccine, each one in believes what he wants to believe!.

What is the problem ??? : Shock:
"Quite the contrary" then paraphrase what I'm saying? : Shock:
After "quite the contrary" we do not say the same thing as the other, except for dupond and dupont.
"To believe" and "not to believe" is not to ask questions.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 07/01/22, 14:08

Rajqawee wrote:Yes, and if we want to go further, so to continue in philosophy, belief is not only useful but can even be desirable: it allows us to be freed from certain questions, potentially insoluble and distressing (death, origin, meaning, infinity ...). To believe in something "unprovable" therefore allows, in short, to stop thinking and "go around in circles".

It only reassures on the surface, because there is always doubt.
The holy grail, if I may say so, is to accept and live well with uncertainty. At this moment answers can come.

Rajqawee wrote:In short, death, like any other trait, is useful for our functioning. If the process of living has given us a lifespan of this order, it is because it is .... the best solution :)

Yes, it allows renewal and therefore evolution.
We are all a certain age and we do not evolve much.
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 07/01/22, 14:09

Janic wrote:Only if we consider this one-way "knowledge" of human (or even more) towards what these humans call god, but not the other way around. For example, our computers do not have knowledge of their users, but the designers of those users have the knowledge to design and use them.

Computers are not endowed with intelligence, let alone conscience, but if they were to do so in the future it is a safe bet that they will learn about their designers very quickly ... first thing that we would program in their circuits, so as not to be in trouble!
For the rest:
Knowledge is a sum of information, and human systems are able to collect it.
Extrapolate that god would have access to a "knowledge of information", reduces this one to the idea of ​​"collecting system", (we could then hack it when the time comes?) ... we are no longer in metaphysics, god becomes "a thing".
Insofar as the refutability of this thing is not possible we remain in the imagination and the turns of phrase*.
If the vow of silence (vocal or mental) is so important in spirituality, it is because there is absolutely nothing to say and think ...

*Your remark is interesting, however, because it shows how a belief is capable of influencing its host to guarantee its survival.
Belief systems have developed a multitude of strategies aimed at maintaining their sustainability ... always by resorting to the intellect or to the affect if the former does not work.
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 07/01/22, 14:18

humus
"To believe" and "not to believe" is not to ask questions.
or rather the reverse, believing is the answer to the questions asked since they impose a choice. Your various interventions show precisely that you believe in subjects for which you have previously asked yourself these questions, otherwise you would not care or would simply suffer them!
For example, already mentioned, I am indifferent to football and I have no questions on this subject, but its fans are doing the opposite, they were interested in it and they chose to join (if you prefer that to to believe)
Yes, it allows renewal and therefore evolution.
We are all a certain age and we do not evolve much.
There you have it, that's a good use of the word evolution which relates to thought,only!
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/22, 14:19

For me, the problem is not to believe or not to believe in "god". The problem is simple, since this concept exists (Him, indeed): What do I do with it? Is it significant or not? What can I put in all these empty boxes? What purpose ? In short, I repeat, I am done with "that" and "to believe" or "not to believe" is useless and outdated since I have found a rational explanation which satisfies ME and frees me definitively from this problematic. You may not know how light I have been traveling since!

Ps: Believing is EVERYTHING except an answer to questions asked.
1 x
Rajqawee
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Rajqawee » 07/01/22, 14:21

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:For me, the problem is not to believe or not to believe in "god". The problem is simple, since this concept exists (Him, indeed): What do I do with it? Is it significant or not? What can I put in all these empty boxes? What purpose ? In short, I repeat, I am done with "that" and "to believe" or "not to believe" is useless and outdated since I have found a rational explanation which satisfies ME and frees me definitively from this problematic. You may not know how light I have been traveling since!

My opinion is that it does not matter to lead the life that we have.
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/22, 14:22

Rajqawee wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:For me, the problem is not to believe or not to believe in "god". The problem is simple, since this concept exists (Him, indeed): What do I do with it? Is it significant or not? What can I put in all these empty boxes? What purpose ? In short, I repeat, I am done with "that" and "to believe" or "not to believe" is useless and outdated since I have found a rational explanation which satisfies ME and frees me definitively from this problematic. You may not know how light I have been traveling since!

My opinion is that it does not matter to lead the life that we have.

Of course ! It was only curiosity that prompted me to answer this questioning.
0 x
humus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by humus » 07/01/22, 14:23

GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:

+1
0 x
GuyGadeboisTheBack
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadeboisTheBack » 07/01/22, 14:24

humus wrote:
GuyGadeboisLeRetour wrote:

+1

To believe is the laziness of the mind, it is the door open to all windows, it is the ruin of the intellect, it is a poison which gnaws at you all your life and this, on n ' any topic. A belief must be momentary, it is a step towards something else in permanent evolution, which is emerging and to which we do not yet have an answer because we are insufficiently informed, too ignorant. : Mrgreen:
1 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 07/01/22, 14:51

GuyGadeboisLeRetour »07/01/22, 15:19
For me, the problem is not to believe or not to believe in "god". The problem is simple, since this concept exists (Him, indeed): What do I do with it? Is it significant or not? What can I put in all these empty boxes? What purpose ?
There you have it, that's the right approach, you have to ask yourself questions before getting answers ... or not for that matter!
In short, I repeat, I have finished with "that" and "to believe" or "not to believe" is useless and outdated since I have found a rational explanation which satisfies ME and frees me [*] definitively from this problem. You may not know how light I have been traveling since!
This is a choice, which is precisely the result of the questions asked and therefore you believe in this choice, therefore you believe
if you place believing as a form of inherited culture for which we consider that there is "no valid reason to change it. We can compare that to food, to health, to vaccines since it is the current subject: a system has said and it is necessary to believe (again) what the system says or to question it (partially or totally) according to the questions that this precisely poses.
After, not before, you can change your mind cultural and, according to your formula, free yourself from it ... but free yourself from what ?!

[*] many confuse what people call god and religions and it is a pity for all!
For the record, I had a colleague who had been touched by a religious as a child, religious supported by his hierarchy, 50 years ago. Convinced atheist, trade unionist and married to a fervent Catholic, the worst in short. And the invocation of this word put him in all his states.It took him some time to consider that this notion of god (and its deep meaning) propagated by religions had no relation and it was even recovery for dubious purposes (I am talking about the system not all of its members) system moreover recovered in copy paste by the rising atheism.
0 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré