End of the world (for 2012), astronomy and assumptions

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

End of the world (for 2012), astronomy and assumptions

by Christophe » 12/02/11, 19:19

Here is the 1st article that I read about "the end of the world of December 21, 2012" which does not come from a site "UFO and all the tralala" nor from Hollywood (film 2012) ...

To be completed by other "serious" sources ...

No troll please!

Should we expect the end of the world in 2012?

Is the end of the world for 2012? A shiver crosses the room - packed - of the Royal Society of London, when the astrophysicist Jocelyn Bell Burnell throws the question in pasture.

The scientist, famous for having first detected the signal of a pulsar in 1967, tackled the subject because at the end of each of her lectures, someone said: "This is all fine, but do you think of the end of the world in 2012? "

The disaster scenario has its origins in the Mayan calendar. The Mayans, who believed that the gods regularly made and undone the world, believed they were living in a "long count" that began on August 11, 3114 BC, and was due to end on December 21, 2012.

Where they probably thought that a new "long count" would follow, many false prophets used the date to predict the end of the world, under the effect of various causes: fall of a meteorite, alignment of planets, effect of the solar magnetic field ...

All theories that bite all the more on opinion that they are constructed from pseudo scientific elements, notes Ms. Burnell. The question asked on Google reveals some 56 million references, and some even believe that the end of the world is for 11:11 precisely.

What about it? The winter solstice intervenes well at 11:12 a.m. on December 21, but without causing a major disaster to date.

Some suggest a reversal of the solar magnetic field. This phenomenon does exist, it even takes place every 11 years or so, with a variable peak of activity and more or less significant solar storms. But the current cycle is marked by weak activity, and "the sun has become rather calm", observes the scientist.

And the Earth? Some predict that it will also change its magnetic field and ... spin the other way. In fact, a change in the Earth's magnetic field has occurred twice since the presence of Man on Earth, the last time 750.000 years ago. But the Earth always turns in the same direction, "and we are still there", launches the scientist.

The alignment of the planets could shake the Earth to the point of causing the end of the world, some argue. Except that the next alignment does not take place until 2040, and that the planets enter only a negligible part in the terrestrial attraction. The last alignment (Jupiter, Venus, Moon, Earth) in 2008 went unnoticed.

There are still meteorites, which can cause serious damage. The impact of a 10 km diameter meteorite 65 million years ago in Mexico (Chixculub) would be responsible for the disappearance of the dinosaurs.

But giant telescopes are now able to detect large meteorites and calculate the risk of collision, says the astrophysicist. Technologies to divert them from their trajectory also exist, such as sending a rocket to a point of impact.

Perhaps the most fanciful is the hypothesis that we fall into the black hole in the center of our galaxy. Except that the Earth is located 26.000 light years from the hole, which makes it quite impossible to be there for December 21, 2012, not to mention the gravity and Earth's orbit, which keep us at a good distance.

Ultimately, this type of prophecy has no scientific basis, and feeds only on the credulity of the public, notes the physicist.

"No doubt, you will have to buy Christmas presents for 2012," she says, hilariously.

Jocelyn Bell Burnell won one of the Royal Academy's main awards, the Michael Faraday Prize for Scientific Communication.

By Marie-Pierre FEREY

Source: http://www.lesechos.fr/entreprises-sect ... 321833.htm
Last edited by Christophe the 27 / 02 / 13, 14: 17, 3 edited once.
0 x
kumkat
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by kumkat » 14/02/11, 13:01

I no longer have the source in mind but I believe that the Mayan calendar
heralds the end of A world and not OF the world ...
The world would therefore continue to turn but differently than today
we could therefore have a stock market, oil or ecological crisis ...
0 x
the middle
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by the middle » 14/02/11, 13:17

kumkat wrote:I no longer have the source in mind but I believe that the Mayan calendar
heralds the end of A world and not OF the world ...
The world would therefore continue to turn but differently than today
we could therefore have a stock market, oil or ecological crisis ...

: Cheesy: : Cheesy: but we are already there!
Just open your eyes and know a little bit about human history.
No need for mayans.
0 x
Man is by nature a political animal (Aristotle)
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/03/11, 15:02

Quite Lejuste!

To come back to the astronomical hypotheses, I have just discovered the "Comet Elenin": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C/2010_X1

(linked by "some" to "nibiru" (also called planet X) especially on youtube).

And this info will still make some people paranote (followers of "numerology" that I personally consider a pseudo science):

Next perihelion: 10 September 2011

10/9/11 = 11/9/01 backwards ... hihihiih yeah I know it was easy!

One thing seems certain, however: the frequency of large earthquakes is currently accelerating! : Idea: :?:

See the one from Japan this morning: https://www.econologie.com/forums/seisme-du- ... 10575.html
0 x
dedeleco
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by dedeleco » 11/03/11, 15:57

Some derail, but the worst, totally unpredictable, the supernova less than 300 light years away, we will only have a few seconds to anticipate it and be irradiated to death !!
But since life has continued to exist despite this for 600 million years, there will be survivors, especially underground!

No, the frequency of earthquakes does not change, pure laws of chance !!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 11/03/11, 15:58

Uh 300 light years is it not 300 years of delays? : Cheesy:
0 x
Geepy
I discovered econologic
I discovered econologic

by Geepy » 11/03/11, 18:59

Yes, but as you will only know in 300 years, you will have no deadline!
0 x
sen-no-sen
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sen-no-sen » 11/03/11, 20:19

dedeleco wrote:Some derail, but the worst, totally unpredictable, the supernova less than 300 light years away, we will only have a few seconds to anticipate it and be irradiated to death !!
But since life has continued to exist despite this for 600 million years, there will be survivors, especially underground!

No, the frequency of earthquakes does not change, pure laws of chance !!

You are referring to a Gamma explosion, an event of this kind would have been responsible for a massive extinction on earth 440 million years ago.
But no need, the human being alone is largely capable of managing his own destruction ... without even nature "helping" us ...
0 x
"Engineering is sometimes about knowing when to stop" Charles De Gaulle.
Ibis.
I understand econologic
I understand econologic

by Ibis. » 11/03/11, 21:16

Christophe wrote:
10/9/11 = 11/9/01 backwards ... hihihiih yeah I know it was easy!

This end of the world is none other than the day after 20.12.2012
The next will probably arrive the day after 21.12. 2112
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 22/04/11, 16:13

NASA takes the 2012 / Nibiru phenomenon seriously since they have created a dedicated FAQ page: http://astrobiology.nasa.gov/ask-an-ast ... nd-answers

They confirm, point by point, the hypothesis of Fake, Hoax ... concerning nibiru, that does not mean that there will not happen anything else in 2012 ... or nothing at all :)

In any case in France, we will most likely already have a disaster in 2012: sarkozy round 2 ... : Mrgreen: : Mrgreen:
Last edited by Christophe the 08 / 06 / 11, 18: 59, 1 edited once.
0 x