Company: quotes slogans and images that make you think

philosophical debates and companies.
Christophe

Re: Company: quotes slogans and images that make you think

by Christophe » 21/10/20, 12:32

Yes, not everything can be repaired economically, it is the great debate of planned obsolescence ... which concerns all the stages of the product's life before its scrapping (manufacture, use, repair ...)

However, if I take the recent example of my HS primary valve compressor: breakdown-troubleshooting-repair / nuair-compressor-movy-which-does-not-exceed-the-2-bars-without-leak-t16561.html

It can be repaired for 10-15 € ...

What% of the population would have taken the time to do what I did? 5%? 10% at most ...% which would have been much higher a few decades ago ...

Makes me think that I still haven't ordered that damn part !!! Roooh I don't like ebay !! :(
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/20, 18:30

Self-repair is a big question, there are no longer small craftsmen to repair everything, but the equipment to do it is more available and easier to use. With an electrode welding machine, you can already fix a lot of things that have broken ... But, with thin metal parts, you quickly find the limits; with a semi-auto, we push them back quite a bit, but the best thing for "cigarette leaf" widgets is the O / A station: thus, I was able to repair, for example, an ironing board and a towel holder ...
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/10/20, 19:21

Ahmed wrote:this is the O / A position

:?: :?: :?:

Kezako?

I welded 1mm 1.6mm arc steel tubes : Mrgreen: ... but I spent at least 5 times more time there than at MIG ... : Cry: I don't even want to see the inside of the tubes !! : Mrgreen:

Well we are rotting this subject! This is where we should talk about it: sustainable-consumption / industrial-obsolescence-the-story-of-deception-t9854.html
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/20, 19:44

O / A = oxyacetylene torch ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/10/20, 19:46

Oh ok, stick welding what ... not to be confused with the arc (which is also a stick)!

Very close to the tig in fine.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 21/10/20, 20:13

Yes, it's solder, usually in the form of a rod, but in the case of the arc, we speak exclusively of electrodes ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 21/10/20, 21:53

Ahmed wrote:, but in the case of the arc, we speak exclusively of electrodes ...

Insiders yes ... for others ...
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 02/11/20, 12:16

When the Vikings invaded France in 845, they easily defeated all the troops sent by King Louis. As the king's army had a 10 to 1 advantage, a myth spread among the Franks that the Vikings did not know fear.
- Of course we know fear, said Chief Ragnar, we just don't encourage it. Fear leads to bondage, obedience and slavery, which is a much worse fate than dying in combat. We don't worship a leader, he is one more, elected momentarily, we discuss everything in assemblies, and our women are free.
6000 years ago, manipulators discovered that fear was used to enslave people and began to encourage it. It shouldn't even be a fear of something tangible, indeed, it better not be. The fear of a demon, a vengeful god, or a wicked universe has also served.
Fear drove 150000 Egyptians to lose their lives dragging 12-ton stones across the Sahara to build the Great Pyramid. Who ordered them? A pharaoh, his ministers and two architects. No more than 14 people.
The fear made that the parents abandoned their daughters to be burnt by witches, or their sons to be sacrificed on an altar, or in the trenches of Verdun.
Sometimes there were people who did not submit, in the year 1000 a group of young people from the island of Bora Bora grew weary of human sacrifices that had turned heaven into hell. - If you don't like it, go away, misfits, they said, laughing. Where were they going to go? Well, they loaded a boat with food and animals and went out to sea. Storms, sharks, thirst will kill them, they cried. They sailed for 22 days without knowing where they were going, until they found uninhabited islands which they called Hawaii.
Before going down, they vowed that there would never be any more sacrifices, that if anyone wanted to honor a god, he would have to do it with flowers. A group even once thought that a good way to accomplish this was to cut up boards and use them to stand on them and break through waves.

Not sure that the last 2 paragraphs are authentic ... to verify : Cheesy:
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 31/12/20, 14:46

“Years ago, a student asked anthropologist Margaret Mead what she thought was the first sign of civilization. The student expected Mead to talk about hooks, terra cotta pans or stone mill ... But it was not.
Margaret Mead said the first sign of civilization in an ancient culture was a broken and then healed femur. She then explained that in the animal kingdom, if you break your leg, you are doomed to die. You cannot run away from danger, go to the river to drink or look for food. You become fresh flesh for predators. No animal survives a broken leg long enough for the bone to heal.
A broken femur that has been scarred is proof that someone took the time to be with the one who fell, bandaged his wound, took him to a safe place, and took care of him until let him heal.
“Helping someone through difficulty is the starting point of civilization,” concludes Mead. Civilization is community aid. "
- Ira Byock
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 31/12/20, 15:59

This last example seems rather inappropriate as regards the qualification of "civilization" which designates rather important human groups and subjected to an unequal hierarchy (division of the roles). It would be better to speak of humanity (as a quality), for men are gregarious animals and as such take care of the members of their group. The difference with other social animals is that the scope of the care provided is wider, due to their wider technical possibilities (thus curative trepanation of the skull is very old and dates back to prehistoric times).
0 x