Collapsology ... kezako?

philosophical debates and companies.
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Collapsology ... kezako?

by ABC2019 » 18/04/22, 08:05

sicetaitsimple wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:And before you bring out nuclear, a little reminder: all U235 reserves represent only 10 years of world consumption,

It's wrong. Or source?

I was talking about 10 years of total energy consumption, not 10 years of nuclear consumption; The estimates are around 100 years of current consumption reserves, but nuclear only provides 5% of the world's energy, so in reality with these figures it's 5 years of world consumption, I put 10 by being generous and counting double in resources by necessarily economic currently.

In short, without breeder reactor, nuclear does not change the problems of energy shortages. With breeding, in theory, the reserves are multiplied by about a hundred, but putting breeders everywhere on the planet, including in poor countries, is completely unrealistic.

The real problems of the coming decades will not come from the climate but from energy resources, and obviously this is aggravated by the fact that many reserves are in countries in the hands of more or less unpredictable dictators, as we see today .
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 18/04/22, 12:33

ABC2019 wrote:....I was talking about 10 years of total energy consumption, not 10 years of nuclear consumption....

It's more "reasonable" expressed like that, but since it doesn't correspond to any plausible physical reality whatever the prospects for the development (or shrinking) of nuclear power and the sectors that will be developed in, say, the next 50 years, it offers enough little interest....
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 19/04/22, 05:36

sicetaitsimple wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:....I was talking about 10 years of total energy consumption, not 10 years of nuclear consumption....

It's more "reasonable" expressed like that, but since it doesn't correspond to any plausible physical reality whatever the prospects for the development (or shrinking) of nuclear power and the sectors that will be developed in, say, the next 50 years, it offers enough little interest....

this is the conclusion that I draw, nuclear power does not offer a realistic global alternative to fossil fuels.
0 x
To pass for an idiot in the eyes of a fool is a gourmet pleasure. (Georges COURTELINE)

Mééé denies nui went to parties with 200 people and was not even sick moiiiiiii (Guignol des bois)
izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 19/04/22, 09:59

ABC2019 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:
this is the conclusion that I draw, nuclear power does not offer a realistic global alternative to fossil fuels.
It was never a question of replacement but of aid for the carbon-free energy transition.
0 x
sicetaitsimple
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by sicetaitsimple » 19/04/22, 17:33

ABC2019 wrote:this is the conclusion that I draw, nuclear power does not offer a realistic global alternative to fossil fuels.

I agree on current nuclear power and the "near" future.
That said, it is not because France has closed Superphenix and abandoned studies on "Astrid" that research on breeding has come to a standstill in the world.
The question is whether, when, and where, it will become commercial on an industrial scale....
0 x
ABC2019
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by ABC2019 » 22/04/22, 07:51

izentrop wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:
sicetaitsimple wrote:It's more "reasonable" expressed like that, but since it doesn't correspond to any plausible physical reality whatever the prospects for the development (or shrinking) of nuclear power and the sectors that will be developed in, say, the next 50 years, it offers enough little interest....
It was never a question of replacement but of aid for the carbon-free energy transition.

we can discuss it for a particular country such as France, which benefits from a strong nuclear infrastructure and which may have an interest in keeping it, but as CO2 is a global problem, it will not change the world balance sheets, so present it as a global solution is misleading.

There is also no solution elsewhere, renewable energies are no more capable than nuclear power of quantitatively replacing fossils, the only solution to limit the RC to less than 2°C would be to greatly reduce our energy consumption, but that would be accompanied by such an economic recession that it won't happen - and with good reason, since the consequences would be worse than what we want to avoid. Any rational and dispassionate analysis leads to this conclusion.
0 x

izentrop
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by izentrop » 22/04/22, 08:53

ABC2019 wrote:
izentrop wrote:
ABC2019 wrote:this is the conclusion that I draw, nuclear power does not offer a realistic global alternative to fossil fuels.
we can discuss it for a particular country such as France, which benefits from a strong nuclear infrastructure and which may have an interest in keeping it, but as CO2 is a global problem, it will not change the world balance sheets, so present it as a global solution is misleading.
Showing a good example would already be a step forward.
Closing Fessenheim was a monumental bullshit with regard to the effort to be made for the climate...
And we continue to want to spend 145 billion for a wind effort that we could devote entirely to nuclear power, since at the same time we want to propel the electric vehicle. You have to stop walking on your head.
Wind power has a perverse effect. The financial needs are enormous. I evaluated in my book the sums necessary for its development programmed at 145 billion euros from 2020 to 2035, including photovoltaics. Investors are rushing because the state guarantees them, for twenty years, a revenue roughly equal to twice what their current will be worth on the electricity markets. No other sector of the economy enjoys such an advantage.
https://www.lepoint.fr/economie/l-eolie ... 520_28.php
0 x
Janic
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Janic » 23/04/22, 09:19

izmentrop
Closing Fessenheim was a monumental bullshit with regard to the effort to be made for the climate...
stupid as a reflection! No connection between sauerkraut and the captain's age
And we continue to want to spend 145 billion for a wind effort that we could devote entirely to nuclear power, since at the same time we want to propel the electric vehicle. You have to stop walking on your head.
it's propelling the VE at all costs which is walking on its head. Oh the technocrats!
1 x
"We make science with facts, like making a house with stones: but an accumulation of facts is no more a science than a pile of stones is a house" Henri Poincaré
Obamot
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Obamot » 24/04/22, 02:41

Janic wrote:izmentrop
stupid as a reflection! No connection between sauerkraut and the captain's age
Slim! Did you notice? izmentrop has just expressed disagreement with government policy Image
1 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 24/04/22, 08:51

That the (economically) developed nations make a "climate effort", that is to say an economic change to restart the machine (therefore, ultimately, to continue to produce CO2) will not change the world consumption of fossil fuels, because the new industrial countries will not join (which, moreover, provide us with the equipment to "transition"!). The reason is not ill will or lack of ecological awareness (don't laugh!), but different constraints (many of which stem from our decisions).
0 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."

Back to "Society and Philosophy"