Black Friday, this ode to consumption! A black Friday ... pollution?

philosophical debates and companies.
Leo Maximus
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

Re: Black Friday, this ode to consumption! A black Friday ... pollution?

by Leo Maximus » 30/11/18, 15:36

For Black Friday, Amazon's head office received 15m3 of "wonderful" electronic waste:

1 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/18, 16:57

What is the purpose of econology? Ask us to stop consuming? Because we would be too stupid to understand the disadvantages of consumption and that self-proclaimed geniuses would believe to have discovered the panacea?
It's as stupid as if medicine asked us not to be sick!
0 x
Christophe

by Christophe » 30/11/18, 17:09

Haven't you understood after nearly 1000 messages posted here ??? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

The goal of econology is above all to consume BETTER, in a more thoughtful and intelligent way compared to our consumption priorities!

Example: instead of changing cars to show off in front of your colleges or neighbors or to please your wife, you install solar panels or a wind turbine or a more economical heating method ...
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/18, 19:39

Christophe wrote:Haven't you understood after nearly 1000 messages posted here ??? : Shock: : Shock: : Shock:

The goal of econology is above all to consume BETTER, in a more thoughtful and intelligent way compared to our consumption priorities!

Example: instead of changing cars to show off in front of your colleges or neighbors or to please your wife, you install solar panels or a wind turbine or a more economical heating method ...

No need to scream, truth is not measured by font size : Cheesy: , I understood very well what you post and which is what I ask of her too just like you, but this message unfortunately seems to me to be much less highlighted than the requirements of degrowth or anti-consumer activism, or politics in general, and I am not talking about here in particular. Hence my question, since in the ecological movement not ecological I see the facts little in agreement with the definitions. Surely my failing vision ...

I do not see the point of constantly trying to make consumers feel guilty or to pretend that "their consumption priorities" are not valid. They know their needs, consume the products they find, and if they find it at a better price, they take advantage of the bargain. It's normal. Calling into question their freedom of choice by implying that it is neither thoughtful nor intelligent, that has a whiff that I do not like at all.

To "consume better", it suffices to offer better products or concrete alternatives. Unless they take the consumer for a big moron, he should change his choices if he finds better. It is the goal of econology, the same product manufactured with less pollution, or another product which by a compromise meets the needs of consumers and ecological requirements. The goal of econology is not political manipulation on the pretext of ecology nor totalitarianism by the arbitrariness of rules of conduct imposed in matters of consumption, it is to propose alternatives, and to the consumer or the citizen in general to decide.
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/18, 20:53

Leo Maximus wrote:
Exnihiloest wrote:... She provided us products that even our imagination could not dream 20 years earlier ....

20 years ???

An example: the flash memory of USB keys or SSD "disks" was invented 40 years ago (Fujio Masuoka, engineer of Toshiba), and presented at the International Electron Devices Meeting in San Francisco in 1984.

As always, patents have been expected to fall into the public domain for commercialization on a large scale.

We mainly waited until we knew how to produce them industrially, at an affordable cost for consumers, and with sufficient reliability.
"Like always"... : roll: Most patents are not filed by self-employed persons but by the companies themselves whose employees at the origin of the invention have their name as inventor and the company as "applicant". Except in special cases, it is obviously to use them immediately, while protecting themselves from the competition, not when they are out of date because others in 20 years will have had plenty of time to find alternatives.

Electronics produces a lot of waste and the electronic components that are thrown away are usually new but nothing is reused. : Shock: The electronics industry is the worst example.

The electronic components of the equipment used and which are thrown away are not new but like new since most of them do not wear out (except the electrolytic capacitors: little progress since the 1950s :frown: ). The problem is that they are quickly out of date. That said, we may want to post here with an Apple] [from the 80s, me not. Electronics today are collected in recycling centers and are partly recycled.

Finally, talking about waste makes absolutely no sense if we do not relate it to the benefits that have been derived from it. And there, thank you to the electronics industry. As for the hypocrites who use electronics and networks to then denigrate the industry that produces them, while they are among those who make the cabbages of the electronics industry and allow it to live, and even to live well, I admit that I have difficulty following them, it is "do what I say not what I do".
But maybe some post by telepathy? Who knows...
0 x
Exnihiloest
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Exnihiloest » 30/11/18, 21:16

It should be noted that Halloween, which has never been a festive period with us but with the Americans, was an attempt by trade in Europe to import from the USA a new opportunity to consume as at Christmas. But it was a fiasco, we hear much less about it than a few years ago. Like what culture has managed to resist.
With black friday, a new slogan, rebellious. Here we are in very punctual sales. But no need to go on a crusade. UFC Que Choisir was much more effective in revealing that the average reduction was less than 2%! I doubt that even uninformed consumers don't realize it very quickly, on their own. 2% can be a trigger for buying, but not the trigger for a consumer race towards the Eldorado.
0 x
Ahmed
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by Ahmed » 30/11/18, 21:44

As for the hypocrites who use electronics ...

The method which consists (repeatedly!) Of examining under a microscope the fingernail that shows the moon produces this kind of result and blinds to the reality: the richest 10% in the world produce half of the greenhouse gases. greenhouse and contribute in the same proportion to the biocide and yet it is these people and their media who preach the good word and urge "ordinary" people to "make efforts for the planet"! Can we do better when it comes to cynicism?
1 x
"Please don't believe what I'm telling you."
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/19, 14:22

Oyé Oyé Oyé Pucelles, Gentes Dames, Damoiseaux and Messeigneurs ... Black Friday is approaching !! Take advantage of remarkable offers and great discounts thanks to the almost total deforestation of the Rambouillet forest by our courageous forest monks! Take advantage of it today because tomorrow there will be no more ... and tomorrow there will be nothing any more!

Green Friday vs Black Friday: David's fight against Goliath

Faced with Black Friday, a symbol of the overconsumption taking place this Friday, November 29, 550 brands are committed to boycotting the event around the collective Make Friday Green Again. If the initiative is praiseworthy, it hardly makes the weight against the firepower of giants like Amazon who make this period of reductions last for several days.

It is a real cardboard box. In October, the young brand Faguo, sensitive to environmental issues, launched Make Friday Green Again, literally "making Friday green again". An initiative intended to boycott Black Friday, this "Black Friday" of great promotions from the United States, a symbol of hyperconsumption. It takes place this Friday, November 29. Joined by around twenty companies at the start, the ephemeral collective now brings together more than 550 brands, including, to name the biggest brands, Nature & Découverte, Jules & Jenn or Naturalia.

A strong signal for the transition

"We did not expect to federate so much. Hundreds of small weak signals turn into a strong signal, this shows that we can change", estimates Romain Teissedre de Faguo who previously achieved between 5 and 10% of his figure. business during Black Friday. By joining the collective, brands agree not to participate in Black Friday, which will take place on November 29, and to do education. "It is important to explain to the consumer why this event is harmful", explains Romain Teissedre.

This day is accused of making jobs precarious by not paying manufacturers, brands and stores. And it contributes to climate change by encouraging overproduction. The 550 brands therefore advise to "take stock of what we really need" or to buy, but at the right price, a threshold according to which all stakeholders are correctly remunerated.

Facing Amazon, difficult to weigh up

Originally, Green Friday was initiated in France by the Envie re-employment network. It has since been joined by 250 associations and brands in France. This movement launched in 2017 by Envie offers members to donate 10% of their turnover made on Black Friday, without doing any promotions. The beneficiaries are Zero Waste France, Ethics on the label, Friends of the Earth or HOP, the association for the fight against planned obsolescence.

Faced with these movements, would Black Friday have lead in the wing? Admittedly, the mobilization around responsible purchasing is increasing, but these brands are no match for giants like Amazon which have released heavy artillery for this day, transformed into a week of low prices. Should a consumer feel guilty about making these Christmas purchases during Black Friday when he has few financial means?

Boycotting Black Friday, a "commercial strategy"?

"There is no question of making consumers feel guilty," warns Jean-Paul Raillard, President of the Envie federation. "The challenge is to explain to them that Black Friday is a lure, what we want to avoid is overconsumption." Some, more cynical, even see the boycott of Black Friday as a way for brands to stand out. "Retailers specializing in sustainability and ethics have an interest in registering against Black Friday, that's to their credit, but it's also about communication", explains Cédric Chéreau, expert in distribution and co-founder of the startup UntieNots which qualifies these speeches as "commercial strategy".

According to the Federation of e-commerce and sales (Fevad), during the four promotional days which range from Black Friday to Cyber ​​Monday, online sales could represent 1,7 billion euros. Last year, on Black Friday 2018, the average turnover per day had even tripled.

Marina Fabre

https://www.novethic.fr/actualite/socia ... 47932.html
0 x
GuyGadebois
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by GuyGadebois » 25/11/19, 17:11

You have to make Christmas presents, what, you're not going to spoil the party !!! : Mrgreen:
0 x
“It is better to mobilize your intelligence on bullshit than to mobilize your bullshit on intelligent things. (J.Rouxel)
"By definition the cause is the product of the effect". (Tryphion)
"360 / 000 / 0,5 is 100 million and not 72 million" (AVC)
Christophe

by Christophe » 25/11/19, 17:56

What do I hear? A candidate for the gallows? : Mrgreen:
0 x

Back to "Society and Philosophy"