Education: dunce cap for the French school?

philosophical debates and companies.
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/07/09, 22:36

Hasardine said:

Personally I am horrified by these spirits of competitions developed from an early age around our children and I think, to deschool my stuffed toys!

Never do that: because it is in society that they will have to integrate to earn their crust! Society is a complex system whose instruction must be learned. To overfeed them would be a crime. It may be up to you to teach them to use their faculties to collaborate.
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/07/09, 22:45

Did67 wrote:No direct line but all the same: India trains 100 engineers per year. Some of the great researchers, surgeon, cardiologist, etc ... in the USA come from Indian universities ...

I think we'd better study the "performance" of their system!

When India trains 100000 engineers / year and some of them go abroad, I don't really see where the benefit is for India. On the other hand, when in a few years they become software heavyweights, they "maneuvered well" in their university system to meet a worldwide need for cheap gray matter.

http://www.cyberport.uqam.ca/francais/p ... RPoles.htm
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.
[Eugène Ionesco]
http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
Flytox

by Flytox » 12/07/09, 22:56

elephant wrote:Hasardine said:

Personally I am horrified by these spirits of competitions developed from an early age around our children and I think, to deschool my stuffed toys!

Never do that: because it is in society that they will have to integrate to earn their crust! Society is a complex system whose instruction must be learned. To overfeed them would be a crime. It may be up to you to teach them to use their faculties to collaborate.

Our company is there to cut everything that goes beyond the mold ... it's not choosing the ease of taking another path. When you want to return to the herd afterwards this is where the difficulties and misunderstandings arise. (pass an official diploma, find a job etc ...)
0 x
Reason is the madness of the strongest. The reason for the less strong it is madness.

[Eugène Ionesco]

http://www.editions-harmattan.fr/index. ... te&no=4132
elephant
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by elephant » 12/07/09, 23:07

The school is there to provide training in a context. In the family and in additional training (scouting, music, sports club and many others) the child can develop his personality and discover different things.

Our role is to open doors for him .....
0 x
elephant Supreme Honorary éconologue PCQ ..... I'm too cautious, not rich enough and too lazy to really save the CO2! http://www.caroloo.be
chatelot16
Econologue expert
Econologue expert

by chatelot16 » 12/07/09, 23:09

India is doing a very good maneuver with an effective teaching: even if Indian engineers disperse to the 4 corners of the world for their first job, those who will return to India will bring back diverse experiences

it is us with our slow education that will become an underdeveloped country
0 x
Christine
Grand Econologue
Grand Econologue

by Christine » 13/07/09, 09:28

Hasardine wrote:Personally I am horrified by these spirits of competitions developed from an early age around our children and I think, to deschool my stuffed toys!

As I understand you, Hasardine. Considering that I myself have "lost" 12 years of my life in a system that only aims for its own survival through the formatting of individuals, I do not wish to impose this on my children.
And yet homeschooling has two big shortcomings in my opinion: the lack of socialization and the impossibility of "rebelling" against the system - since parents "rebel" instead of children.

Now, there are Steiner schools in Strasbourg that could perhaps suit you?
http://www.steiner-waldorf.org/ecoles_s ... bourg.html
0 x
Hasardine
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Hasardine » 13/07/09, 10:04

thank you for your reactions, and yes, Christine, I know the Steiner methods, my son was there for his first year of schooling and was fulfilled there.

Unfortunately we have moved, and doing 2x70km to put 2 kids in half board at school is not environmentally reasonable knowing that you work at home for the same reasons!

Regarding socialization I think a lot about extracurricular activities and other summer camps.

I still want to clarify that my children are not at all in a situation of school failure, but my son (at CP, last year) is having fits of tears and feeling guilty whenever he does has only one ................ 18 or 19/20!

Do you find it normal to stick such pressure?

I do not know how to console him, the little sister stresses all year long, and yet the teacher pretends that she is the best student in the class, and I can no longer calm her down some nights, so much is she crying in fear at the thought of failing.

at home we put no pressure, when they tell me about their fears, I answer them that they don't have to worry, and that I trust them, the note does not prove the failure, but a point to review ....

Nothing helps! in kindergarten you have to be the strongest (including in the gym!) the fastest (even in a race, or on a bike!) and the quickest.

Where is there room for creativity? the dream and the possibility of asking the slightest question without being answered that this question is silly and that it calls for no answer?
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/07/09, 11:33

chatelot16 wrote:
it is us with our slow education that will become an underdeveloped country

That was the meaning of my remark ... AND this is where the question of the efficiency of our education system - so difficult to measure - arises in a raw way!
0 x
Did67

by Did67 » 13/07/09, 11:43

Christine wrote:And yet homeschooling has two big shortcomings in my opinion: the lack of socialization and the impossibility of "rebelling" against the system - since parents "rebel" instead of children.

I add a third: the confusion of roles at the start of the adolescent crisis.

Teen has no choice but to rebel against his parents (sometimes the company by extenion - in particular when the parents are defaulting). If he does not, there is every reason to worry about his future ...

When the parent is also the teacher, we can see that it cannot work during this phase...

Especially since this rebellious teenager will look all the more for a model "other than his parents who are only big idiots who do not understand anything" (I am summarizing!). He can find it in a teacher (no one here has had a great teacher whom he still remembers with emotion ???), in a sports instructor, in an apprenticeship master (for young people who opt for work-study ) ... Someone they admire all the more that they "hate" (apparently) their parents ...

FYI, this rebellion phase usually begins much earlier than parents realize. To work with children in difficulty at school (without being handicapped for all that - there, the problem is different), I realize that the first signs of rupture appear from the 5th (in the French system), become more evident in the 4th and "explode" in 3rd ...
0 x
Hasardine
Éconologue good!
Éconologue good!

by Hasardine » 13/07/09, 17:27

Ventilation systems and other?
0 x