Process for the production of gaseous and liquid hydrocarbons and products obtained by this process.
Here are the claims of Doctor Laigret from his patent about the production of oil and gas by biological fermentation.
Claims and abstract of the patent Dr. Laigret
The present invention includes:
1) The application of anaerobic microorganisms, in particular bacilli of the class of the Perfringens bacillus, to the production of hydrocarbons by fermentation of organic substances in the presence of catalysts, more especially silica and traces of iodine.
2) A process suitable for carrying out the application specified under 1) and consisting mainly of maintaining, in the presence of silica, under the conditions for carrying out an anaerobic fermentation, an aqueous and neutral solution which contains, on the one hand , one or more substances of the category consisting of lower aliphatic acids, soluble salts of aliphatic acids and lower aliphatic alcohols, on the other hand iodine, micro-organisms, of the bacillus perfringens type and nutrients for these bacilli.
3) Methods of carrying out the process specified under 1) having the following features taken separately or according to the various possible combinations:
- As bacilli, those of strain number 5029 from the Institut Pasteur in Paris are used;
- The medium in which the fermentation takes place contains about 0,01 to 0,02% iodine;
- The silica is placed in the fermentation chamber in a bed the height of which represents at least the sixth part of that of celit and of the liquid which surmounts it;
- Silica is used in the form of kieselguhr,
- The fermentation medium is maintained at a temperature of about 30 to 37 ° C;
- An aqueous solution of nutrients is prepared, the nitrogen content of which does not exceed that of a 1% solution of peptones, iodine and a pure bacilli culture are added to it, placed on a bed of silica sterile, the fermentable substance (s) are added and they are renewed each time they are consumed;
- Methane fermentation is initially brought about by using as a fermentable material a lower aliphatic acid or a salt of such an acid and, when this fermentation has started to occur, the fermentation process is ensured by re-feeding with one or more acids or salts of acids of this kind or by feeding with one or more salts of higher aliphatic acids or with one or more alcohols (where appropriate in the form of aqueous alcoholic solutions) or also, simultaneously, with one or more acids or salts of lower aliphatic acids and with one or more of the subtances of the other two species.
4) As new industrial products:
- aqueous olutions of the type defined in 2)
- Gas mixtures and liquid mixtures based on hydrocarbons which can be prepared by the means indicated under 1), 2) or 3).
Jean Philippe Marie Ferdinand LAIGRET.