Main facts mentioned in the documentary, in bulk:
- GM EV1 project kicks off after GM's victory at the Australian Solar Race
- In the mid-90s, the CARB (Californian Air Resources Board) imposed a law of 3%, 5% then 10% of electric cars in sales (this will never exceed 3%) of manufacturers otherwise they will no longer be able to sell in California: Toyota (RAV4 EV), Ford (think group) develop, "by miracle", and very quickly an efficient and viable EV (but all offered by leasing)
- Takeover of the company which produces the batteries by GM then by Texaco
- Strong lobbying against the CARB law, especially so that it does not inspire other states
- Blatant lies on the part of the manufacturers on the supposedly low demand: many people do not even know the EV1, there is a real desire of non-communication about the EV1
- Little or no maintenance market on an electric car
- Manufacturers earn more (directly and indirectly) with a thermal car than an electric one, so they prefer to sell thermal ...
- To see the GM EV1 “compacted” in breakage, frankly it is moving…
- Strong desire on the part of all manufacturers to withdraw all leased EVs from the market (GM even refuses a firm takeover offer of $ 25 / used EV000). That which is not destroyed is neutralized. This is happening during the Bush administration.
- Tax deduction of $ 100 for SUVs (hummer) set up by the Bush administration (at the same time it is limited to $ 000 for an EV) !!!
- Carter was almost an econologist, Reagan transferred the solar panels he had put on the White House (vice president: bush pere…), it was Carter who also put in place the laws on the protection of water , To see the Gasland documentary.
- Bush “re” launches the Fuel Cell… to create a diversion from the more efficient EV…
- The fuel cell is compared to the hare in a greyhound race, greyhounds are us: it must come out all the time soon but never comes out ...
Conclusion: who is or is not guilty of the failure of the EVs of the 90s?
Oil tankers: yes
Batteries / technology: no
Consumer: yes (too demanding, little informed, no concession ...)
We end up on an optimistic opening
Raging all the same ...
Learn more, scientific facts and full debates about the electric car:
- Watch the documentary Who Killed The Electric Car
- Documentary Debate Who Killed The Electric Car
- The pros and cons of the electric car (pros and cons)
- Physical limits and eco overall balance of the electric car
- Forum on cars and electric transport
- List of electric cars available in 2011 (price, technology, videos, etc.)
- Video: the electric car has a future (documentary INA of the years 70)
- Another documentary: The Revenge of the Electric Car (2011)